Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Question about Keratin

I was wearing a sew in weave for about a year because I had such bad breakage. I decided to go natural once it was taken out. It has only been about a week since it's been out. When it was out, I got a keratin treatment then it was flat iron straight. That style wasn't working for me because I sweat when I'm at work and the style would look pretty bad by the time I got home. Doing some research on youtube, I found some twist out vids and wanted to give it a shot. I moisturize my hair with water, added some moisturizer, Miss Jessie's curly pudding and twisted. The problem I had is that my hair wouldn't keep the twist at all. I tried securing the twist at the end but the twist itself was still was really loose. I just decided to undo it after a while because it just wasn't working. Does anyone have any idea as to why? I don't know if it's because of the keratin or because my hair was straight and didn't have a 'kinky' enough texture to it or what. I would really love to wear curly hair and I'm stumped as to what to do.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it is the keratin that is preventing your twists from staying twisted. The quick solution would be to chop off all the keratin treated hair and start over with fresh naps. The slow solution would be to weave it up again or wear a wig while you grow it out.

That's all I have, but you may want to visit the transitioners forum for more ideas.

Welcome and good luck on your natural journey.
    ~Love the hair you have~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grow it out all, really? I thought it was something that you applied ever 3 months or so, it wasn't something that needed to be grown out like a relaxer. It's just protein right? Don't tell me I was told wrong.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never had a Keratin treatment, but I've heard that it last 3 months. Or if you wanted it out sooner, there was something you had to do (wash your hair with something maybe). IDK what it is though.
    I love my hair like I love my 1 year old nephew. He's so hard headed, but so dang on cute!

Last CFC 5-22-10
    BC 8-22-10

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WynterFairy View Post
    Grow it out all, really? I thought it was something that you applied ever 3 months or so, it wasn't something that needed to be grown out like a relaxer. It's just protein right? Don't tell me I was told wrong.

It's a chemical hair straightener. The publicity around it makes it seem like it's some kind of conditioning treatment, but it permanently changes the texture of your hair.

Think about it, you apply a relaxer every 3 months (or sooner), too.
    Last edited by meraki; 09-03-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, your hair is no longer "natural". You may want to consider starting fresh.

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the people I know that got a keratin treatment mostly got their texture back after some time. Either way I'd expect that there's some heat damage at play with the chemical solution AND the high heat that's involved in the process. You may end up chopping some length or transitioning out of whatever state your hair is in.

Straight/mostly straight hair won't hold a twist the same way kinky hair does. You'll just have to wait for the keratin to go away. In the mean time flat twists, braids, and cornrows will probably work well for an out style. There are many youtube videos of those with relaxed/straight hair doing braidouts and twistouts. I know you're not relaxed but your hair is probably closer to that than your natural texture right now.
    Last edited by bhop13; 09-03-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you bhop13. I'll have to go to youtube soon and check that out.

Thank you also to the rest of you that responded. I really don't think it keratin is a chemical ladies, but I go to my stylist tomorrow so I'll have to grill him on it. It's something that can be used at the same time with relaxer and coloring, I mean the exact same day which you wouldn't be able to do if it was a chemical.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WynterFairy View Post
    Thank you bhop13. I'll have to go to youtube soon and check that out.

Thank you also to the rest of you that responded. I really don't think it keratin is a chemical ladies, but I go to my stylist tomorrow so I'll have to grill him on it. It's something that can be used at the same time with relaxer and coloring, I mean the exact same day which you wouldn't be able to do if it was a chemical.
    Chemical or not, the effect that it has is the main issue.

I just Googled "keratin treatment". I will have to click on the links for more information. However only one of the blurbs/headlines didn't mention something about altering the texture of a person's hair.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some reason, this treatment is contraindicated on pregnant and nursing women, which makes me give it the side-eye. From what I've read, keratin is bonded to the hair with heat, "relaxing the hair's subcuticle layer". It's quite possible that your hair is heat damaged and as the other posters have stated, you may have to cut it off or transition again.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast