Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Going to an egyptian salon and...

im going to the salon soon (should probably make an appoinment first )

im planning on going to an egygtian salon, called Magids hair studio, here in chicago (any reviews of this place are welcome lol)

i know the egyptians/dominicans are supposed to be quite good at doing our type of hair texture. now what i really want is a cut/trim to get all of my damaged ends off (its been a while, so he'll probably cut off a lot )

anyways, how should i ask him to style it? should i just get it blowdried, or risk it and ask him to style my hair curly? do egyptian stylists know how to style natural hair without heat?

THANKS!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the generalisation was Dominicans (DR) believed our afro air texture was almost evil and did their best to change it but good luck with the salon.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chibikia View Post

anyways, how should i ask him to style it? should i just get it blowdried, or risk it and ask him to style my hair curly? do egyptian stylists know how to style natural hair without heat?

THANKS!!
    I should preface my comment by saying that I am totally unfamiliar with Egyptian salons/techniques.

The answer to this question depends on what you consider to be risk.

I consider it infinitely more risky to allow someone to use a blowdryer than to take a chance on a bad style that won't do long-term damage to my hair. I view the long-term risk of high heat in hair as more serious than the 'omg I just spent $XX and my hair looks like crap' risk.

Early in my transition I did continue to allow stylists to use blowdryers/flatirons, but as I learned more about the potential for damage (check this thread: http://www.nappturality.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23754) the heat usage came to an abrupt halt.

How did you happen to choose this salon? If I were you I would look for a place that wouldn't force you to make such choices.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i found this salon on yelp, they had really good reviews even from women who wore their hair natural but it sounded a bit that they specialize in straight styles which isn't what i really want..what mainly attracted me was the price, i called a few weeks ago and he quoted a trim on natural hair to be $25 (im going to call again to make sure lol), compared to other salons, who might style natural hair better, saying like $70...

really my fear is that he'll "need" to use a lot of heat to trim/cut my hair properly, but idk where else to go thats affordable for me right now :/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can do your own trim for free if you like I used to do it using TST's and I'm sure you can find a how-to online if not right here.

As for the salon, when you call back ask if they use heat to do the trim if they do your choice is simplified: if you don't mind heat go for it, if you do don't - I wouldn't do it personally because I've seen heat damage and it wouldn't make sense to me to get a trim while risking damaging my hair which will lead to an even bigger cut lol.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your concern that the trim will involve heat is justified, but you can call them to find out for sure. And AStone is right - you can go the DIY route. When I can get over my current bout of laziness I'm going to cut out my remaining relaxer...planning to do it right here at home.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am skeptical, particularly of Dominican salons. I don't know anything about Egyptian salons. You should ask some one if they do it without heat or straightening, ask the name of the person and don't be afraid to ask for that person by name when you go in ...or just make the appointment with that person.

Personally, I think you'd be better off doing it yourself. it's just a trim. you will know exactly how much that you want off.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know for a fact that dominican salons use a lot of heat. and i have also heard that egyptian salons use a lot of heat as well. so be careful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]just want to say thanks to my angel whoever you are. thanks for making me pretty in pank

Yo I beez bloggin' check me at vivalaunderdog.tumblr.com (I finally made it happen).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great advise everyone, i think i will just ask if they use heat to trim, im just nervous about the language barrier lol the guy i spoke to last time had a very heavy accent, i don't want any misunderstandings!

hmm what i more want i think is closer to a cut than a trim...im talking a few inches off...i haven't had a legit cut in years! i know a lot of my hair is damaged, and even my diy trims don't help much.
    so im now sucking up the courage and letting them cut off all the damage.

i'm not so much opposed to them blow drying to cut as long as they dont bring out the flat iron!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chibikia View Post
    im going to the salon soon (should probably make an appoinment first )

im planning on going to an egygtian salon, called Magids hair studio, here in chicago (any reviews of this place are welcome lol)

i know the egyptians/dominicans are supposed to be quite good at doing our type of hair texture. now what i really want is a cut/trim to get all of my damaged ends off (its been a while, so he'll probably cut off a lot )

THANKS!!
    By your post count I see your new 'round these parts so I say this with love...molly you in danger girl!!!

You won't find anyone on NP who will condone the use of heat, it goes against the mission of the site. It's not allowed to speak of it. As others have said heat can/does cause LONG term damage. I wouldn't risk it.

You may want to get out of the mindset that certain groups have the "knowitall" about nappy hair. It just ain't so.

Don't fall into that trap because truth be told A LOT and I mean A LOT of brown folks have NO clue how to PROPERLY manage our hair. Don't let ANYONE tell you, you HAVE to straighten your hair to have it trimmed. THAT IS A BOLD FACE LIE and typically mean they no NOTHING about our hair.

Please be careful whom you trust your hair...there is a forum on this board that has salons on it...check it out...I'm sure we have some sistas from Chi Town on here who can give recommendations.

Good Luck.
    ~Never allow someone with limited vision to limit yours~
    Officially Nappy 6 Feb 03
    Loc Journey began 17 Mar 07
    I be bloggin'...PM me for the lank!
    iStruggle...I'm a work in progress
    If I don't respond to your post directed at me, I probably have you on ignore #truestory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast