Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. You can't keep a job/promotion/man with natural hair.
    Oh, Really ?
    Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.
    - George Bernard Shaw

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
    - William Shakespeare

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without victims.
    - Harriet Woods

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetsinBlue View Post
    "I could barely get a comb through your hair when you were little."
    "It's so hard too manage."

It's funny because hair is hair and you have to manage it anyways.
    LOL! We should totally be transitioning buddies- I had the exact same thing said to me by my mum *repeatedly* over the years. I was totally shocked when she didn't say anything about me transitioning - except: "well, you can always just go back to straightening if you don't like it." I took this as: "you'll see, your hair is completely unruly and you'll grow out of this phase when you see what it's really like."

Aren't people so supportive?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb This is such a good thread!

(Thanks, OP for getting the topic started)

Quote Originally Posted by littlelibra View Post
    1. You have such beautiful hair...why would you want to do that?
    ^ This is essentially the reason my hubby gave that stopped me from going natural for YEARS. He told me he loved my hair the way it is. He even went as far as telling me there's no other pastors' wives that have a TWA (I told him Voddie Baucham's wife does and that ended that protest). Besides the one friend who happened to be in earshot of the conversation, my hubby was the only one I told I was going natural. Oh, and then I had to tell my brother because since he's a barber I wanted him to give me my BC. He had done it before for other female clients and a cousin of ours so he was totally fine with the news.

I'm happy to report that my hubby has come full circle and *loves* my natural hair and how I've chosen to wear it (short, for now).

I needed to read this thread because lately, I'm encountering a few friends who haven't been as excited about my hair transformation of others have been over the past few months. No one has said anything nasty -- but I like to be prepared in advance just in case someone is too frank with their comments so thanks everyone for being so candid.
    Happily embracing my God-given hair
    last perm May 2011/BC'd 8/13/11
    (Wearing two-strand twists/twist out 'fro since March 2014)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My top two are:

1. You will have to cut all your hair off! Not true, you can do a long-term transition, which I am doing now, and then chopping later. I have so much respect for women who do the "big chop," but I knew that would be hard for me because I have a round face shape and I need the length to balance my features.

2. Your hair will break and fall off from taking care of two different textures. Also not true is you are taking care of your hair, and maintaining a protein moisture balance as well as being gentle and not using heat.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad said, "Humph! All I see are napps on your head!". I said, "Um, hum, just like yours!" Lol!

Some people would ask me "What are you going to do with it?" or just say "I could never go natural. I need a perm!!"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've been hearing you'll never find a man or a better job with that hair

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tel8 View Post
    LOL! We should totally be transitioning buddies- I had the exact same thing said to me by my mum *repeatedly* over the years. I was totally shocked when she didn't say anything about me transitioning - except: "well, you can always just go back to straightening if you don't like it." I took this as: "you'll see, your hair is completely unruly and you'll grow out of this phase when you see what it's really like."

Aren't people so supportive?
    My mom still is not fully on board either! She wants me to get a blow out and use heat and straighteners, but my hair has been doing great without it! It's funny how going back to the natural state of my hair seems to be working out just fine. I'm also planning on getting my BC in a few days.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard...

1. This wont last

2. WHAT!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is this store that I go to everyday and the cashier that works there was the one that always tried to sell me the relaxer after I repeatedly advised her that I was going natural

1. Your hair is to thick for natural- just get the relaxer and it will be soft and manageable.
    2. We have natural relaxers
    3. Its going to take you forever to get your natural hair back (after a year of transitioning)

So after the big chop she was like

1. Is that your natural hair- I thought I sold you a relaxer a couple weeks ago
    2. Your hair is sooo pretty

But this is what TOPS it off....mind you she is Jamacian

--See our hair- we need to get relaxers cause it wont curl...its just a mop top w/o the relaxer---

The hair is the richest ornament of women. ~Martin Luther

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Afrocentricnapptural View Post
    There is this store that I go to everyday and the cashier that works there was the one that always tried to sell me the relaxer after I repeatedly advised her that I was going natural

1. Your hair is to thick for natural- just get the relaxer and it will be soft and manageable.
    2. We have natural relaxers
    3. Its going to take you forever to get your natural hair back (after a year of transitioning)

So after the big chop she was like

1. Is that your natural hair- I thought I sold you a relaxer a couple weeks ago
    2. Your hair is sooo pretty

But this is what TOPS it off....mind you she is Jamacian

--See our hair- we need to get relaxers cause it wont curl...its just a mop top w/o the relaxer---

The hair is the richest ornament of women. ~Martin Luther
    Ha! That store clerk is off the hook! :P

I *like* that Martin Luther quote in your siggy line!
    Happily embracing my God-given hair
    last perm May 2011/BC'd 8/13/11
    (Wearing two-strand twists/twist out 'fro since March 2014)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast