Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PammiePC View Post
    So my question is: do you ladies think that the negative reactions to going natural is a mostly geographical phenomenon? Is it possible to say that the reactions that so many people have to their daughter or girlfriend going natural primarily comes from a domination by American (and sometimes European) culture?
    I think the issue is somewhat geographical. generational and can also be what is culturally/socially popular.

While there is definitely a domination of American and sometimes European culture a lot of the negativity folks get is gotten because of how our peers/friends/family perceive the "world" will see us if we don't conform. Americans and Europeans have traditionally/historically done their best to make all things black negative. The truly sad part is, black folks seem to have fallen for the hype, and bought into the concept, when we should have been opting out.

After finding NP I had concerns about loc'ing but never about being natural, as where I live (Western Canada), folks don't particularly seem to care as long as one is presentable. While I have heard folks disparage natural hair styles (bantu knots), I took that as folks just not accustomed to seeing them, and now years, later, those same folks be asking how they can get little Becci's hair to do the same thing.

WHEN natural becomes the new norm, folks with permed, weaved and unnatural colored hair will be looked at with by the new generations coming up (at least, that is my hope).
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

2. Thanks amourese thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MissChelle View Post
    I think it's a mixture of many things. Mainly the culture. In the two years I've been nappy all of the Africans I have met have treated nappy hair with disdain. For me it's not about Africans as a whole. The ones I have dealt with are from Nigeria, Ghana, and Eritria (I believe I spelled that wrong). The small percent I have met pretty much set the standard.
    Totally agree with this. Its funny because every african I've come across here in the US has been permed or weaved. And don't get me started on the number of times I went to have braids done and when you walk in the shop they look at your hair in disgust and quickly tell you they are charing you extra for "that hair".

So yes its geographical, community driven, etc.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love all the responses, lots of insight! Thanks ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by tenachie View Post
    Another time in Ghana I wore a threaded hairstyle which is very strange because women my age/my class do not wear threaded hairstyles out and about, but I could see people were surprised but in a "wow, I didn't know that could still look nice" way.
    I've been wanting to have my hair done in a threaded style, my mom used to do it for me when I was little. But, at this age, I don't know anyone who would be able to do it other than my mom and I'm embarassed to ask haha. I never knew there was a class thing about those styles.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KoilyLocGirl View Post
    I think the issue is somewhat geographical. generational and can also be what is culturally/socially popular.

While there is definitely a domination of American and sometimes European culture a lot of the negativity folks get is gotten because of how our peers/friends/family perceive the "world" will see us if we don't conform. Americans and Europeans have traditionally/historically done their best to make all things black negative. The truly sad part is, black folks seem to have fallen for the hype, and bought into the concept, when we should have been opting out.
    Co-signing all of this. It's not like if you cross over the border from Illinois into Iowa people are going to start screaming and calling in the National Guard. Actually, they may do that, but it won't be because of your hair...

The last time I went to Chicago I was stunned to see so many naturals walking around. I also was stunned to see so much bad weave, but that's another story...in both cases it was a far cry from when I went natural in 1995.

In 1970s Cleveland, contrary to popular belief the only people I saw wearing "naturals," as they were called, were teens and young 20-somethings, which made sense because by that time it had stopped being a political statement and become more of a style. But that style went away as more blacks gained access to "white" areas of influence. A lot of us who grew up then are the ones telling young people now "you have to straighten your hair in order to get a good job." You can find that mentality everywhere.

Here in my little Iowa town I don't really get any flak from anyone. I do get stares but I would have gotten them no matter what my hair looked like...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not one day goes by, here in Atlanta, where I can say,
    "I didn't see any naturals today."

And I love it.

"Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's looked down on in some areas of the south. People rural and small town areas are not very used to seeing naturals on adults. I live in the south in a rural area & I once mentioned that some of my relatives were going natural & my sister in law wrinkled up her ENTIRE face as if I said they wore dog poo on their heads!! She was just like, "eww, nah"!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12