Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hair loss/tainted products?/msg for sweetafrica

I couldnt help posting this:

SweetAfrica's blog/photos is one of the long-time photo albums that I had/have admired for years when I was transitioning. Just last week I came across her album and, I'm not sure when this photo was dated, found out that her glorious, glorius head of hair was now broken off, thinned out, and very unhealthy. When I saw that I decided to post this. It will be a year in August since I took out my locs. Before then I had been using hair products that I ordered on line. I had been experiencing some hair loss and just chalked it up to my not taking care of my hair properly then I went into locs. After two years I decided to take them down and had a head full of very healthy hair past my shoulders. I started using the same products that I had ordered/used before. What started to catch my attention was that a month into using these products (1 or 2 must haves) I noticed that my hair was literally coming out in my hands. I ran a comb through my hair and a ball of it came out. I, again, chalked this up to possibly being from the long time in the locs. It wasnt until I went to wash my hair, stuck my head under the water, and had a ball of hair just float down my hair into the sink that I realized something was very wrong! I started collecting the hair and ended up with a sandwhich bag full of hair from one washing! I knew this was not normal. On top of which the ends of my hair were becoming straight and my hair was breaking off in chunks on the ends. The only thing I could think of to do was to stop using all products and only use a shea butter mix that I made. Every time I washed my hair I would compare the amount of hair loss to the last time I washed my hair. Finally, after about two months of not using the products, my hair stopped coming out! I just washed my hair and the amount of hair loss I experienced was the size of a quarter. I had been losing mounds of hair! I'm wondering if the products I was using were tainted with something and had been tainted for a while each time I ordered/bought more. Then I saw SweetAfrica's photo album and remembered that she (at one point) was using some of the same products! Her wonderful head of hair is almost gone!! I'm wondering if she even considered attributing the hair loss to the product she was using? My experiment worked. I stopped putting any hair product in my hair except my shea butter/jojoba oil mix and stopped experiencing the hair loss and hair straigtening. My scalp no longer itches/burns in that spot it used to near my crown that always used bother me after a relaxer treatment. I kept the container of products and am considering sending a sample to a lab just to see if there was something else added to the product. I am also curious to know if anyone else ever had this happen?
    "Be kind to people on your way up because you will meet the same people on your way down"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. I've never (thankfully) had that happen, but I'm curious about these products. Was it a very popular line or a start up product line that just came out of the ether (like so many of them are as of late)? Seems like a lot of these companies just throw anything (and I mean ANYTHING) in their products, and slap a "natural hair" tagline on it knowing that sooner or later, we'd buy it (Curls Unleashed or Miss Jessie's, anyone?). For that reason, I've been very fickle about products since wearing my natural hair, and I've tossed entire bottles if I didn't like the way my hair responded to it no matter how much money I spent on it. You may want to ask her to try your experiment to see what happens.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow that sucks.

this has never happened to me. i'm the same as mikalia. i'd never use an entire bottle of something that didnt work for my hair. i know after 1 or 2 uses whether or not something is going to work.

have you checked online for reviews? contacted the seller? contacted sweetafrica?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't had this experience before. And I'm glad you were able to figure out a way to fix it! Stories like this really scare the crap out of me because, although I've been natural/transitioning for a while, I'm really new to the community and the abundance of information. I just have to remind myself not to freak out because I haven't had any of these problems.

I would suggest checking out reviews from different websites and seeing what different people have said. What was the name of the product? Also, like Galaxy said, contact the retailer and see if they've had complaints. Contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say about it.

How much would it cost to have it checked in a lab? Sounds pricey lol.

Have you compared the ingredients to other products that you've used? Maybe you just had a terrible reaction to something in it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What products?
    Formally MzCuteBrownLeo
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she says on her thing it's due to iron loss. I'm anemic too. When I don't supplement well I lose hair on my hairline and my right temple.
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I truly hesitate to name the products because they are extremely popular here. I started using them when they first came out with NO problems whatsoever. Then the products changed (new supplier/new company making the product?), I'm not sure. What I know is that before I started locking I was using one of my favorites from this product line and I noticed some hair loss. I attributed it to just my hair doing what it does but the hair loss was not normal. It was one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and loc because I figured it would allow me to leave me hair alone. FF to two years later and I pick up the same product again and start using it after I took down my locs. BALLS. OF. HAIR. coming out. Today, 4-24-25 I can tell you that I can wash my hair AND comb my hair with normal hair loss and on some days no hair at all in the comb. When I was using this cream I would comb my hair that night after applying some in the morning and a ball of hair would come out. I kick myself for continuing to use it for so long after this started because I might have retained some length. As it is I had to cut a good deal of hair off due to EXTREME damage! I no longer have an itchy, irritate spot in the top of my head and THAT spot was the spot that I was always sensitive to creamy-crack. Two and two make four. It had to have been the product because now that I no longer use it I have not had a problem. I did read where SA attibuted her hair loss to iron deficiency but I'm wondering if she, like me, was looking at everything else but the possibility that the product that she was using may have been the problem.
    "Be kind to people on your way up because you will meet the same people on your way down"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't be afraid to name the products. For all we know, someone on here could be experiencing the same problem and not realize it's the product that's causing it. I've cursed Carol's Daughter, Miss Jessie's, and other "popular" brands OPENLY because not only did I dislike the way they made my hair feel, but I know someone out there needs to hear both ends of the review spectrum, not just the "raves" and "loves". This can save someone (or a few people) a lot of grief in advance or even from experiencing what you and Sweet Africa did.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I can understand your hesitation to name the product...I guess. But I personally wouldn't hesitate. You're not libeling the owner, you're speculating and commenting. Which is more or less what we do every time we leave a review of any product. It would be a shame if members felt they couldn't leave honest commentary because the line in question is "popular". If a lot of people in the online hair community feel the same way as you do, I question the value of having any product reviews at all. It's like...am I only seeing positive reviews because everything is gravy? Or are the people with complaints afraid of being run out of town by a nappy mob? lol...

Anyway, whatever the issue was, I'm SO GLAD your hair is back to normal!
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I am glad to read this. My hair was going down the hill for a long time but I am pretty sure mine was due to anesthesia when my appendix was removed. I did stop using all products though and started using my own stuff too. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast