Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Loc" Down in 48 Hours: Fit Lifestyles and Locs

I joined this site many, many moons ago when I "big chopped"--about 81/2 years ago. I have worn my hair loose, since then. This Saturday, I am getting my first set of locs. I am so excited! It feels right and occupies a lot of my thoughts.

I live an active lifestyle. I lift weights and do some form of cardio 5 times per week. Could someone share their experience with new locs and working out or point me towards a helpful thread (I just haven't found quite what I am looking for, yet).

Thank you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG!! I have nothing to say about locs.

I do however have two tabs (one-progress pics; the other-your blog entries) opened from your profile/blog/

*faints in fandom*

*revives*

I have your webpage bookmarked and I have visited from time to time since 2010. I've been looking at your page for the past couple days (one of my quarterly visits ). I nearly shared the link in the fitness forum. You've been such a great inspiration and I really really appreciate you sharing your fitness journey with the world, but most importantly to me.

I LOVE your loose hair. Can't wait to see your loc'd hair too. All the best in all of your future endeavors.

Hmm, on second thoughts, the first person that comes to mind is aunappturale. I know she leads an active lifestyle and she's had locked hair a few years now. Maybe you can pm her for some info. She has a fotki too, but I don't know if i'm at liberty to share that.

All the best again!!
    A People without the knowledge of their past history, origin, and culture is like a tree without roots.
    ~M.M. Garvey~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyNut View Post
    OMG!! I have nothing to say about locs.

I do however have two tabs (one-progress pics; the other-your blog entries) opened from your profile/blog/

*faints in fandom*

*revives*

I have your webpage bookmarked and I have visited from time to time since 2010. I've been looking at your page for the past couple days (one of my quarterly visits ). I nearly shared the link in the fitness forum. You've been such a great inspiration and I really really appreciate you sharing your fitness journey with the world, but most importantly to me.

I LOVE your loose hair. Can't wait to see your loc'd hair too. All the best in all of your future endeavors.

Hmm, on second thoughts, the first person that comes to mind is aunappturale. I know she leads an active lifestyle and she's had locked hair a few years now. Maybe you can pm her for some info. She has a fotki too, but I don't know if i'm at liberty to share that.

All the best again!!
    Thank you, so much for the smile that is plastered on my face, right now! I don't even know what to say. It feels like I went to a party and ran into an old friend. I am just glad my ramblings could help, or inspire, in anyway--and the journey still goes on!

I will definitely check out aunappturale's link. I am so excited about the changes. And, I'll be following you, too!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey OP your body is flawless i can't wait until i get to your level.
    where may i find your blog/youtube channel?

i exercise 4-5 times a week and i've had locs for almost 2 yrs now
    i sweat a lot so i wear a bonnet/sweat wrap thingy when im exercising. as soon as i am done exercising i take out my cap to dry out my hair. i do tea tree oil spritz (tea tree oil + water) everyday because its has antibacterial properties and this is useful because sweat on hair prolong may cause mildew.

wash your hair more often and make sure it is dried properly. accept the "shaggy" look that may appear if you sweat. i heard of people using deodorant on their hairlines to avoid sweating. good luck on your journey

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, congrats on your new journey! Dewdrop has the most gorgeous locs, and she´s a professional runner, I think. She has a blog and also is on youtube. Here´s the links...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamicRunner/videos
    http://kalia-dewdrop.blogspot.dk/
    Last edited by uzuri; 06-08-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Loc´d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vavoon View Post
    hey OP your body is flawless i can't wait until i get to your level.
    where may i find your blog/youtube channel?

i exercise 4-5 times a week and i've had locs for almost 2 yrs now
    i sweat a lot so i wear a bonnet/sweat wrap thingy when im exercising. as soon as i am done exercising i take out my cap to dry out my hair. i do tea tree oil spritz (tea tree oil + water) everyday because its has antibacterial properties and this is useful because sweat on hair prolong may cause mildew.

wash your hair more often and make sure it is dried properly. accept the "shaggy" look that may appear if you sweat. i heard of people using deodorant on their hairlines to avoid sweating. good luck on your journey
    This is so helpful! Thank you. I figure I may take a little longer to lock and may not be as manicured as I want to be, later on. But, I think my curiosity overrides any nervousness! LOL! I have kept a online blog here: www.bodyspace.com/Making_A_Change
    I have not updated it in a few months. I did not have much to write about. But, now I can write about fitness and hair! Hmmm...maybe I should turn this into my hair blog.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uzuri View Post
    Hey, congrats on your new journey! Dewdrop has the most gorgeous locs, and she´s a professional runner, I think. She has a blog and also is on youtube. Here´s the links...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamicRunner/videos
    http://kalia-dewdrop.blogspot.dk/
    Got it! I remember her from waaa-aaay back! Her locs are beautiful.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Loc Down Blog: My Last Loose Day

In March 2007, I decided to get myself in shape. I really did not how to go about it. But, I did know what I was not supposed to do and what I needed to do. I needed to stop eating cereal by the box and excercise. So, I did. I began to love the way lifting weights made me feel and changed my body. Most people were supportive; some were not. This did not bother me, though. I had made up my mind. Fifty pounds later, I started competiting in figure competitions. It was not my original goal; it just happened, organically. My new hobbie caused people to voice their "concerns":

"You are going to look like a man."
    "Your husband is not going to want to touch your hard body."
    "Your boobs with shrink."
    "You will develop an eating disorder."

Well: I have yet to grow a penis. My husband likes my body, just fine. I never had much going on in the chest department, anyway. (And, if I really want them, I can fake them or buy them.) And, if wanting to eat healthier is a disorder, I will claim that one.

I just found it interesting the way that people jumped to the most extreme of conclusions. Choosing to loc my hair has been a similar experience. Just today, someone sworethat I was going to go bald. And, proceeded to show me pictures of her beautiful, chocolate niece who was loced, but "had thinning edges". So, I got the warning and evidence.

I do not doubt that there are some who had bad locing experiences. Just like I know there are people who have indeed developed disordered eating from bodybuilding. However, this is not everyone. And, I am going to take every precaution, to make the safest decisions for me and my hair.

So, "loc" down in less than 19 hours...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on your upcoming journey! I remember being SOOO excited the day before lol and nervous.

Hmmm my advice is so "NEW" and I'd love to hear the advice of some more vets on this topic. I too was scouring Nappturality trying to figure out ways to loc and exercise 2-3 months ago. However it's been such an easy transition and way easier than I thought. Like Vavoon, I suggest finding a good and tight sports wrap for your hair when working out. Preferably made from an absorbant/airy material. I bought a wonderful sports scarf from walmart('ethnic' beauty supply section) for like 3 bucks. It fits tight at the edges, and has holes in the back to help the rest of your scalp feel cool. It's been a lifesaver versus other scarves I've used. I wish I had the name of the brand for you but I know it specifically had "sports" on it and it kind of looks like this in the front but with the holey material in the back

-Don't go to sleep with a sweaty and/or wet head. Make sure you give your hair plenty of time to dry.

-Cheap plastic Showercaps are the Bizness lol. It gives such a beautiful, natural, moisturizing steam treatment in the shower. I still use a leave-in conditioner but I feel I use it less with my regular "shower" treatments after workouts.

Also, when the time comes, research and consider which maintenance methods mighht work best for your lifestyle. I was going to start out being a hard-core palmroller. However, palm-rolling,though a wonderful method, doesn't seem to be the best for ME and I'm going to latch the next time. (Side Note-If you DO latch after switching from palm-rolling, I would suggest NOT doing the whole head the first time, latch 1-2 dreads so you can test it out and see its progress versus the palm-rolled. Also, you can test how latching feels and the different techniques that might work best. For example, my stylist can latch with a tool or her fingers and I much prefer her hands)
    Love, Peace, HairGrease, and Double Kisses

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Today is the Day

I was not nervous until about an hour before my appointment. When I arrived, I was almost relieved that my loctician was running behind. I worked, furiously, on some work for my teaching credential and waited for my turn. As I type this, I am waiting to be completed. I have not looked at my head, yet. I just know that my silouette is different when I pass a mirror. Here are some "befores".

Picture #1: Freshly washed and detangled.
    Picture #2: Dried, shrunken, no manipulation.
    Picture #3: Length prior to locking; just below chest level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	060912102346.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	2184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	060912113950.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	2185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	060912114138.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	2186  

Last edited by Kassandre Harper-Cotton; 06-10-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast