Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Length Protection Challenge - Starting October 1

Ok So I'm a bit early on posting this, but if you're like me you might be a little short on cash and need time to build up supplies.

Anywho.. Yeah.. length retention.. no more Mr. Nice Guy on this!

I have this grey hair (YAY finally found my first) that a few months ago was about 2 inches long. Today I realized that it's about 6-7 inches long!!! WHAT THE HELL? I always expected that my hair got a decent amount of growth, yet my natural hair has never made it to APL in the 10+ years i've been a nappy head?! When I was relaxed I had no problems getting to BSL.

I know the issue is with my routine and how I treat my hair. the reason my hair grew so long with a relaxer was because I had someone else taking care of it and that person was really gentle (besides the use of the chemical fire cream ). i on the other hand am like a bull in a china shop when it comes to my hair. i rip, i tear, i taunt. but this has GOT to stop! I want to grow my hair to my full nappy potential and plan on doing whatever it takes (oh yes, a kitten might be sacrificed!) to retain my growth.

From now until Oct 1 my plan is to prepare by
    1. getting a real trim in a real salon instead of me just using using my arts n crafts scissors and no mirror
    2. decide on a good set of products to use for deep condition, wash, condition and leave in
    3. get better at creating protective styles that can last a week and arent long to install or take down
    4. looking for the appropriate kitten.

is anyone willing to join me?

PS. i was just joking about the kitten....or was i.....?
    Last edited by GalaxyGirl2012; 08-25-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't normally compare my hair with others' but recently a YTuber with my hair type described how her hair barely reached SL with a perm but was now almost BSL after 28 months of growth. If I can find the video I'll post it but I think she started from a TWA.

I like that you're calling it a length PROTECTION challenge because I feel I have to go beyond just retention at this point.

Like the YTuber, I barely made SL with a perm. The closest I've ever gotten to APL as a natural is when I had locs. I really don't like protective styling but I'm going to have to find SOME kind of compromise since I strongly suspect my hair has the potential to get to APL and beyond.

I'll be back when I'm in front of a real computer...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothing wrong with "CONSIDERING THE POSSIBILITIES"; this is a core feature of our makeup as human beings.

I know this topic has been discussed to a great extent on this website - but the bottom line is that barring a nutritional deficiency, an illness, or abuse - hair growth, retention, and ultimate length are - like other physical characteristics - genetically determined. So I refrain from being preoccupied with getting my hair longer.

That being said, I think my hair has the potential to be longer, but I don't believe going without combing/washing has to be the way to get there. Maybe I'm wrong on this. I personally just have not arrived at the point where I would prefer to go about with uncombed hair and a scalp that gets significantly less daily attention/cleansing than the rest of me. I am more concerned with hair health than hair length.

Regarding cornrows, weaves, wigs in order to avoid daily styling/give the hair a rest, I definitely feel where folks who use these are coming from. But what if, unless meticulous upkeep is maintained, these methods are actually counterproductive for the scalp & hair? What if, in the long-term, these styles don't actually deliver on the desired result?

Chemical alteration and heat alteration are damaging for hair of all types. Most commercial products contain ingredients that are damaging to hair of all types.
    Those of us with African hair have to be more careful than others about these issues - if we wish to showcase the beauty and infinitely complex features of our unique hair in the best possible light - which is OKAY.

I am still whittling down my regimen, to be completely alcohol-free. I need an alcohol-free curl activator gel; I'm looking at trying the Going Natural line of products, since their ad says Nappturality endorses it; Deecoily uses it in the video on spiral rubber wet set.
    I did an ends trim this week, and my hair's got great springback - so I'm SATISFIED.
    For me, it appears that greater length will be a by-product of settling on the healthiest, most natural regimen that is practical.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just found three YouTube videos pertinent to this thread! All three presenters are forthright as they talk about the issues.

1) lumalandy - Discusses her hair journey, frustration, sticking with having gone Napptural, reasonably priced hair products. She has short, dense, coarse (stands straight up & out from her head) type 4c hair.
    2) AyannaNaeela - Discusses having been raised Napptural, using a limited array of reasonably priced products. She has long, thick, soft (hangs down, touches her shoulders) type 3c/4a hair.
    3) vanie0295 - Discusses her hair journey from a TWA to the present. She has long, thick, lively (stands outward from her head, touches her shoulders) type 3c/4a/4b hair.
    Last edited by Bithiya; 08-26-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Line 2: Omitted word. Line 3: Spelling correction.

5. Likes amourese liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bithiya View Post
    For me, it appears that greater length will be a by-product of settling on the healthiest, most natural regimen that is practical.
    agreed. what i'm going to have to figure out is what that is for my needs.

- i must wash my hair multiple times a week because of working out and swimming.
    - i don't want to use a crazy amount of products; i want to use 1 shampoo, 1 regular conditioner, 1 deep conditioner, 1 leave in and maybe 1 separate thing for my ends. i'm also thinking of adding in a henna treatment once every 1 or 2 months.
    - style wise i tend to do better with minimal time in shrunken styles since my ends tangle a lot.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This reads like a challenge that I can get into! I'm retaining a good amount of length, but I know that my ends and edges suffer because I don't consistently handle them with care. Some sections are noticeably more brittle than others. I just recently made a sulfur oil mixture that I am going to apply a few times a week, and I need to get consistent with my regimen. I think that I'm going to have to start washing more often. Also need to decide on my staple products and just stick with them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in!

I treat my hair like crap. I'll even admit to clipping my ends with a knife a time or two.

I've just cut over an inch of my ragged ends off and would like to work at being a kinder, gentler me irt my hair.

I don't seem to have a problem with growth since I've reached BSL since my last chop in '09. But, I'm curious to see where my hair can go if I actually attempt to properly take care of it. Oh, and I'm really trying to narrow down my hair product staples.
    Formally MzCuteBrownLeo
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's that video I mentioned:

I did my once-a-month Hair Spa Day on Saturday (shampoo, protein and moisture DTs) and then, because I was bored, I started making mini-rope twists on Sunday. It took me the better part of 8 hours and then I redid the front third because I needed to make the roots looser so they'd be more flexible. Aside from the evidence of my thinning crown (at least it hasn't changed too much in size) I don't hate them. Hey, I was in the PS for PS Haters challenge...this is big for me...

Also, it's always weird for me as someone who isn't a huge fan of straight hair/styles to have what comes about as close to straight hair as I tend to get. Having hair that I have to flip out of my eyes is odd...

I hope it's true that rope twists are easier to wash than regular TSTs because I'd love to keep these in up until right before my trip at the end of next month. Also, normally I don't do much of anything with them in terms of moisturizing or oiling but I'm going to try to do better this time around, spritzing and oiling every day even if they don't (seem to) need it.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm in boo!

i pretty much have a good solid routine and i use some good products. my issue really is my diet. that is the only thing lacking. its pure crap and my body is suffering. especially my hair. i barely drink water, no exercise and the list goes on. so thats the main thing i need to work on.

other than that... i will stick to my routine and the products that i have finally found that work. no more product junkie (i used to stay buying stuff even though i had ish that worked). i will still be finger combing and using products that are mostly natural.

protective styling works for me and i saw the best retention when i was in braids. so that is what i will be doing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]just want to say thanks to my angel whoever you are. thanks for making me pretty in pank

Yo I beez bloggin' check me at vivalaunderdog.tumblr.com (I finally made it happen).

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akomas_Angel View Post
    I'm in!

I treat my hair like crap. I'll even admit to clipping my ends with a knife a time or two.

I've just cut over an inch of my ragged ends off and would like to work at being a kinder, gentler me irt my hair.

I don't seem to have a problem with growth since I've reached BSL since my last chop in '09. But, I'm curious to see where my hair can go if I actually attempt to properly take care of it. Oh, and I'm really trying to narrow down my hair product staples.
    I'm with you Akomas_Angel. Once I even got frustrated with knots at the end of some small twists, and when I couldn't find scissors quickly enough, I grabbed fingernail clippers and clipped off the ends of several twists. . I, too, am curious to see what healthy lengths my hair will reach if I consistently give it the TLC it needs. I got to BSL in about 3 years - and that's where my hair has been for most of the past 3+ years. I joined the 'Haters of PS' challenge early this year and some sections finally passed BSL. But my hair is not fully healthy - by a long shot. If I develop and stick to a simple, healthy regimen, I really think I could make some significant healthy progress.

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    Here's that video I mentioned:

I did my once-a-month Hair Spa Day on Saturday (shampoo, protein and moisture DTs) and then, because I was bored, I started making mini-rope twists on Sunday. It took me the better part of 8 hours and then I redid the front third because I needed to make the roots looser so they'd be more flexible. Aside from the evidence of my thinning crown (at least it hasn't changed too much in size) I don't hate them. Hey, I was in the PS for PS Haters challenge...this is big for me...

Also, it's always weird for me as someone who isn't a huge fan of straight hair/styles to have what comes about as close to straight hair as I tend to get. Having hair that I have to flip out of my eyes is odd...

I hope it's true that rope twists are easier to wash than regular TSTs because I'd love to keep these in up until right before my trip at the end of next month. Also, normally I don't do much of anything with them in terms of moisturizing or oiling but I'm going to try to do better this time around, spritzing and oiling every day even if they don't (seem to) need it.
    @ the bolded: If you're referring to the way the twists mimic straight hair and get all in your face and just in the way ALL OF THE TIME - that's what worked me so bad this last set of twists I had. I still kept them for almost 6 weeks (due to my own laziness), so I hope yours make it as long you want them to. I probably won't be twisting up again for a while, though, because I really neglect my hair when it's in twists. I think I need to force myself to nurture my hair more often by not leaving it in any one style for more than a week at a time.
    Last edited by CCmomof5; 08-28-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast