bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've told 2 people this same thing. There's a way to do it but you can wash your hair in braids/twists. They both just looked at me like "whatever...my style is more important than clean fuzzy hair." Ok...fine then...walk around with your gross itchy hair, lol.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post

That's good that someone talked to her. I agree with you 100% about hygiene. I mean really, she should know. However, you never know what someone's background is and what sort of craziness they grew up in. I'm thinking somewhere along the way, she didn't learn the basics or heard from some craziness about not washing extensions. Either way, yuck.

Glad she left with more a of a clue so that you or someone else doesn't have to deal with that again.
    So true. I remember buying a guy a back loofah because he didn't get or know about washing his back. I saw another guy get introduced to cleaning his ears and I swear this dude had a Q-tip in his ear for the rest of the summer, LOL. A college roommate used to use the sponges from the kitchen to clean the bathroom and she put the sponges back in the kitchen...she saw nothing wrong with it because they did that at her house.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoilyHairedBeauty View Post
    @Olahh: Thanks; we need to show her how to do it at home. The prices are more toward the high end...for example $175 for kinky twists..

@Akomas_Angel: They don't wear gloves....Something about offending the client...I'm going to talk to the owner when I go in on Tuesday about that...Cuz that's just NASTY.
    I wanna give a real nat. hair salon a try this fall/winter and It seems like Columbus aint catching on to that even though Im seeing alot more naturals. My unit is located in ATL area. Can you PM me prices for trimming and style w/o extension like bantu knot or regular twist, thanks?
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhop13 View Post
    So true. I remember buying a guy a back loofah because he didn't get or know about washing his back. I saw another guy get introduced to cleaning his ears and I swear this dude had a Q-tip in his ear for the rest of the summer, LOL. A college roommate used to use the sponges from the kitchen to clean the bathroom and she put the sponges back in the kitchen...she saw nothing wrong with it because they did that at her house.
    You are reminding me to get a pair of loofah gloves.

Anyhoo this weekend I put my big girl panties on and finally told a buddy of mine to call the local university's dental school and schedule a check up and clean up. He started talking about getting an iPad and he is one always getting all kinds of designer clothes (on eBay but still) and I told him before he did that he should be looking get his tartar build up under control, I've been wanting to tell him this for years and now it's just plain disgusting and I'm surprised guys want to stick their tongues in his mouth

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

5. Thanks coalblacklocs thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ the OP: I'm glad you mentioned teaching this woman to do her hair at home. Everyone should know how to take care of their hair at even the most basic of levels. I'd rather teach someone how to do something themselves than have them rely on me.
    And if nothing else, wouldn't she want to know how to do her own hair just for her own sake?

A college roommate used to use the sponges from the kitchen to clean the bathroom and she put the sponges back in the kitchen...she saw nothing wrong with it because they did that at her house.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Olahh Sure, let me find out for you

@bhop
    @karibana

Those people are just nasty! Ugh, it's making my skin crawl right now!

I've been "washing" or (co-washing) my hair many times a week since I've been natural. The longest I can go without it would be a week. I learned that because I have yarn braids in.

A person can create some really bad problems for themselves if they allow sebum to buildup on their scalp--Yuck! Add to that product buildup, dandruff..... O_O

I wonder, do people who have caked up hair feel strange when they get out the shower with a clean body and a nasty scalp?
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhop13 View Post
    I think I just threw up in my mouth.
    I am borderline OCD about cleaning tools & sponges and stuff. I don't wash dishes with the sponges used for wiping counters and other surfaces. All the sponges are washed daily in the dishwasher. Mops get washed after each use (I have removable, washable mop heads). I just can't do it.

Re: scalp hygiene. When I was younger, I wasn't taught how to do my own hair or care for it. My mom styled my hair wehn I was little but I knew virtually nothing about caring for my hair when I started doing my own hair. I had to learn on my own. I didn't know you could wash your hair in braids but the itching would become unbearable for me and I'd take them down so I could wash my hair. I wish I would have known because then maybe my braids would've lasted a lot longer.
    Last edited by caprimom; 09-10-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olahh View Post
    I wanna give a real nat. hair salon a try this fall/winter and It seems like Columbus aint catching on to that even though Im seeing alot more naturals. My unit is located in ATL area. Can you PM me prices for trimming and style w/o extension like bantu knot or regular twist, thanks?
    So true.... There are a select few of natural hair salons in Columbus that I would let play in my hair.

I'm a DIY girl myself. But on special occasions and for color treatments, I used to go to Studio 54 when I lived in Columbus. It's located off Steam Mill Rd, closer toward Shirley Winston Community Center. It's also a spa, but they specialize in natural hair as well. I enjoyed the service I received on every visit, but they can be a little pricey.

http://studio54hairsalondayspa.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually.... After looking at the website, it looks like their prices have dropped some...

I wish I could make a visit when I come up in October, but I have two clients that I have to do myself...

Anyway, the prices aren't bad at all for a natural hair salon...

Twist Loc $55.00
    Relaxer $60.00
    Colors $25.00
    Perms $85.00
    Natural Hair Styles $45.00
    Shampoo & Sets $40.00
    Press & Curl $45.00
    Perms $85.00

It's cheaper than prices here....

Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Thx for the link. I let one experience screw up my views on salons that do relaxers and naturals because they "claimed" experience in nat. hair care.
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast