Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hair loss due to overprocessing

DD is grown now, and decided to go from wearing her hair natural (twists and braids) to a Wave Nuveau. She had her first wave in May, a retouch in August, and another retouch in October. Unfortunately, the product was pulled through her hair and left to sit for 30 minutes. Needless to say, the damage is shocking. Her hair is matting and falling out in clumps. Manipulation of her hair causes more breakage. Her hair is a mess. She has multiple lengths and her nape is destroyed. Of course, like any 18 year old-she's devastated. In some places in the crown area, the hair is broken off to the scalp. Except for the nape, I didn't see any areas not covered by hair-so it seems as though it's just hair damage, not scalp damage. The salon where she got the 're-touch' refunded her money, gave her some products to use at home, and will give her hair treatments (at no cost to DD) until her hair is "healthy again". She absolutely doesn't want to bc, her hair is too weak for braids or weaves, and to complicate things she plays sports so a wig is out of the question. Any suggestions?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this happened to me like 12 years ago. i lost all my hair from over bleaching and then relaxing. i also had a sensitive scalp for like 2 years because in some places my scalp got a little damaged.. my hair grew back funny for 2 years too.

she might not want to bc, but it is what it is. her scalp (even if there isn't any chemical burns) is too weak for anything else.

tell her to suck it up and BC. that's her only sane choice.

3. Likes Karibana liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I would agree with Galaxy. No two ways about it, unfortunately.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once the hair is damaged its damaged. Since her hair is so weak and can't support basic PS I would say to BC it. There are some lace front wigs that can withstand sports with various application methods. The only problem with a wig would be securing it to her natural hair. Maybe she could do some flat twists all over?
    Last hit of creamy crack: 11/24/09
    BC: 10/26/2010
    Staples: Shealoe, EVOO, CO, Jojoba oil, HE HH, Avg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you ladies. I know she needs to BC, you all know she needs to BC, she's 18 and very self-conscious and in denial about needing to BC. As the weeks go by, I'm figuring her hair will continue to fall out. Eventually, she'll see that she has no other choice but to BC. Once she does BC, could she possibly get some type of weave on the new growth? I'm thinking curly glue in??? I'm trying to talk her into going to a natural salon. I'm sure they'd have more styling suggestions and can help her learn to care for her natural hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she needs to just leave her scalp alone. it's doing stuff like that when the scalp is already sensitive that can led to real alopecia.

what the dermatologist told me was that scalp skin takes longer to heal than your other skin, so her recommendation was to avoid all chemical process and any type of hair and scalp stress (like weaves) for a full year. better to have a TWA than have bald spots that may take years to heal

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once she bcees, maybe she can wear beautiful headwraps and big earrings. She will bc in her own time (hopefully). I would not suggest gluing anything to the scalp.
    http://going-natural.com/head-wraps/...head-wrap.html

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DD came home and did the BC. This is the shortest she's ever worn her hair. The stylist was able to cut it down past the level of breakage without taking it down to the scalp. Her hair is tapered in the back with short curly micro bob in front. Her hair is cute and modern. She's liking it more a little each day. No more worries about what to do with her hair during a game or while they're traveling.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like a cute cut. glad to see she did a BC. this way she can just get it over with and focus on regrowing healthy hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who knows OP, she may grow to like the freedom her short hair affords her while she's travelling and maintain the TWA for a while.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast