Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Perfecting the Braidout/Twistout

I need to perfect the braid out/twist out. I am trying to get the full volume bouncy look with my braid out. I braided my hair last night, and good thing I have a pony tail because when I took it out. There was no style. It was as if I was just taking out my braids. No fluff, nothing.

I blow dried it lightly. My hair was still wet. I didn't want to blow dry at all, but I was online and I a lot of the girls had their hair stretched some way.

I know this site does not condone heat usage, so I am asking for a way to perfect the braid out without the use of heat.

I only know one style and that is the puff lol. I am trying to learn some cute easy styles without always having my hair pulled back. Even if its partially swooped in a bang.

I plan on buying flex rod and doing corn rolls with it.

Here is that I did yesterday and I think I might've missed one step:

I was limited on products.

I had Olive Oil, Jane Carters Hydrating Invigorating Shampoo, KBB Hair Nectar, Cream Of Nature Conditioner (I also used this to comb out my locs).

I separated my hair into four sections, and pre-detangled using Olive Oil. Then I used Conditioner to to finish detangling. I washed my hair and conditioned it with the Hair Nectar and sealed with Olive Oil.

Thats when I got lost. I lightly blow dried my hair. It was very, very curly and still very curly and still very damp because I was so scared of blow drying my hair. Then I Put maybe ten braids in it. I took a nap, woke up to see how it looked and it was a big mess.

I think one of the missing steps was that I did not use a styling product. Like a Butter, and I did not use any flex/perm-rods or rollers. So I just spritzed it and put a little Eco-styler Oliver OIl Gel and put it in a pony-tail. My arms was hurting from taking down my locs and I just could not rebraid it.

Any advice?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm...maybe Entwine Couture's Creme Jelle
    Gflowers uses it and her twistouts/braidouts looked ahmazing

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualME View Post
    I need to perfect the braid out/twist out. I am trying to get the full volume bouncy look with my braid out. I braided my hair last night, and good thing I have a pony tail because when I took it out. There was no style. It was as if I was just taking out my braids. No fluff, nothing.

I blow dried it lightly. My hair was still wet. I didn't want to blow dry at all, but I was online and I a lot of the girls had their hair stretched some way.

I know this site does not condone heat usage, so I am asking for a way to perfect the braid out without the use of heat.

I only know one style and that is the puff lol. I am trying to learn some cute easy styles without always having my hair pulled back. Even if its partially swooped in a bang.

I plan on buying flex rod and doing corn rolls with it.

Here is that I did yesterday and I think I might've missed one step:

I was limited on products.

I had Olive Oil, Jane Carters Hydrating Invigorating Shampoo, KBB Hair Nectar, Cream Of Nature Conditioner (I also used this to comb out my locs).

I separated my hair into four sections, and pre-detangled using Olive Oil. Then I used Conditioner to to finish detangling. I washed my hair and conditioned it with the Hair Nectar and sealed with Olive Oil.

Thats when I got lost. I lightly blow dried my hair. It was very, very curly and still very curly and still very damp because I was so scared of blow drying my hair. Then I Put maybe ten braids in it. I took a nap, woke up to see how it looked and it was a big mess.

I think one of the missing steps was that I did not use a styling product. Like a Butter, and I did not use any flex/perm-rods or rollers. So I just spritzed it and put a little Eco-styler Oliver OIl Gel and put it in a pony-tail. My arms was hurting from taking down my locs and I just could not rebraid it.

Any advice?
    To do a braid-out (or any style where you are "setting" your hair) it's best if it's fully dry before you undo it.

Have you tried leaving your braids in overnight?

Another tip: Wetting or spritzing your hair isn't going to help it obtain a defined wave or curl.

I just Googled the Hair Nectar that you mentioned. I haven't actually used it, but if it's a humectant, then it probably won't give you the results you want.

In fact, I see that one of its ingredients is glycerine. When you're doing a braid or twist-out, it's best to stick with products that are oil based, not water based.

In short--I'm not critiquing your shampoo, or conditioner. But in my experience, oil-based products are more likely to help you achieve the look that you're after.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just used whatever I had to be honest. I am going to buy some REAL stuff this Friday. I had just removed my locs and I needed something quick which could have also been why it didn't work. So I honestly had to use whatever I had lying around. I am not at all offended also if I am using the wrong products please let me know because I have been researching since I have decided not to lock my hair again for a while and I want to play with my loose hair. I am actually going nuts. There are sooooo many products and I remember this same issue when I was transitioning. I want it soft and fluffy with volume.

You are right that product was water based because it was NOT thick consistency at all. It was very, VERY light. I am thinking of using a cream.

AfricanExport is one has some of the baddest twist-outs, braid-outs etc... and her hair is already stretched and a lot of times its wet already when she does her braid-outs or twist-outs.

Thanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're welcome. I wish you all the best!
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also go to youtube. Type in naptural85 twistout 101. This method is much quicker than the standard way. I like it.
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another failed twist out attempt. I did get a cute funky hairstyle though.

MAJOR improvement though, but I am seeing improvement and I am seeing my mistakes.
    First off my hair was still wet and the Cantu Shea Butter Cream whatever left some white residue in my hair, but when it dried it disappeared. My hair was just still wet. I didn't towel dry it which would have helped tremendously and I should have put in more twist. I put four twist in on each side with flex rods. Next time I will towel dry wait until its a little more dry and I will put like six twist in my hair.

As for styling, I tried a cute side pin over and a pompadour which came out looking cute but it was just too much hair exposed on one side. Maybe when I get more comfy with the big beautiful hairstyles I will try it again. I shoulda took pics because now that I think of it, it was a success. I got the style from Beautifulbrwnbabydol. It looked cute on her.

Now I have a huge Afro puff and pompadour that I AM in LOVE with. I had to even go in my earring collection and throw on some cute earrings. I didn't think I was capable of this at all. It's a simple style but I'm style illiterate so it's a huge deal for me.

I will update next week when I wash my hair again on the THIRD twist out attempt.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you looking at YT tutorials from people with a hair texture and density that's similar to yours?

I love Naptural85's hair and have actually used a couple of her techniques but my twistouts and braidouts will never look like hers because we have different textures and densities. Even when (if) I get to her length my styles won't have the same volume.

I don't mean to offend...I don't know how much experience you've had with loose natural hair.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

9. Likes Claire76 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not offended. I don't have much experience with loose natural hair but I usually have successful braid outs when I corn roll my hair all the way back. I'm trying other techniques that probably don't work for me. I've never done a twist out before I've only done two braid outs and they were beautifully done during my transition stage.

Maybe I need to just go back to what works.

I was trying to go for beautiful chunks which is why I thought the twist out would work. Ill try the corn roll braids tonite and c if that works. My hair is moisturized already.

I saw Napptural85 vid as well.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also wanted to mention that I found one young lady who has my hair texture Msracheladina. She's on YouTube. She doesn't really have many videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast