Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am getting so mad I want to cry. What am I doing wrong?

Why isn't my twist-outs/braid outs looking like everyone else's? No defined wave pattern at all. My hair just frizzes up.

Yesterday I took out my hair from a twist out and it ended up being one side looking okay, but it still was sticking up and won't lay down. The front was sticking up too.

Is it the products?

Youtube videos are NOT helping at all. All they are doing is showing beautiful results and when I try the same thing its a frizzy mess. No stretch and my hair is near APL. No wave pattern. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Could it be the products? My hair just seems to turn frizzy and the curls/waves won't be defined.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^OP: Are you able to post some pics of your hair before and after twistouts? That might help us help you! Try not to fret.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OHR View Post
    ^OP: Are you able to post some pics of your hair before and after twistouts? That might help us help you! Try not to fret.

This^. With pics, it would be easier to offer feedback. Also,

1. Have you considered putting more twists in your hair? To me, 6 sounds like a low number. Which brings me to a more important consideration...

2. Have you tried braiding your hair instead of twisting it? On longer hair I could get away with 6-10 medium-sized braids to set my hair. But one thing we've discussed on the main board before is braid-outs vs twist outs. Honestly it seems to me that sometimes people have better luck with putting their hair in braids. When I say that, I mean in terms of the hair being able to hold a defined pattern, etc.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will post pics tonight or tomorrow.

I tried con rowing my hair as I have done before.

I still did not get a defined curl from the twist out. I looked more like a braid/frizz/afro out.

I know my hair can hold the pattern because I am gonna send you ladies four pics and I will explain everything in the pics.

I don't have any before twist outs.

How long does my hair have to be to get away with 6-10 twist or braids?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualME View Post
    How long does my hair have to be to get away with 6-10 twist or braids?
    In my mind it's not a matter of being long enough to get away with something, so much as the sections have to be small enough so that after you set your hair and it's dried and undone, it'll have a discernable pattern.

Sorry for that epic sentence.

The last time I did a braid-out my hair was about as long as it is now--the longest strands touch my collar bone. And I definitely veered towards 10 braids. Six would have been too few for me.

And please. Don't get stuck on the number. The bolded part of what I said is the most important.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have also spent a lot of time trying to perfect my braid-outs - I don't do twist-outs unless it's after wearing small twists for several weeks. One thing that really helps me is making sure that I smooth down my cuticles before braiding (or plaiting) my hair. I usually start with dry hair, then dampen it with a water/aloe vera juice mixture. The aloe vera juice helps to close the cuticles, and to make sure they are smooth, I put my spritz, cream, and/or oil on both hands, and smooth down each section with both hands before I plait it. It really helps me to get product on every strand, and I have much less frizz when I do this (not NO frizz - that's not possible with my hair. ) I always make sure that my hair is totally dry before taking the braids/plaits down. And although I don't use it all of the time, you may need a gel or other product with good hold.

I also agree with the above suggestion that you might need more braids - especially if your hair is dense. My bare minimum is 12 for a decent braid-out. 18 gives me a really good braid-out. More than 20 - as close to perfection as I'm ever going to get!!

7. Thanks IndividualME thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I place in 6-9 flat twists from the crown down the sides over night, tuck the ends under, let it out during the day and wear the hair wavy. I set it with a spritz of aloe vera juice and moisturize with a dab of sheabutter mix. It works well for me, it's quick and easy and there's no guessing when I wake up to go off to work. It may work for you! *pictures please
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 12-21-2012 at 01:23 AM.
    If you aren't learning, then you aren't growin.

cheleski
    Empowerment Zone THEKNOTTYTRUTH.COM
    blogger

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about others who have taken down their locs but my hair was like you are describing for a few weeks after I took them down. I did a conditioning treatment after a few weeks and that helped. I also had color in my locs and when I got rid of that hair (via sissors) my hair showed a huge improvement. It may just be your hair right now. I wore puffs until my hair recovered.
    I don't need a relaxer my hair is NOT stressed out!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a great youtube 'how to' braid out video with Dark and Lovely New Au Naturale product for natural hair with Nedjetti showing how to create the easy at home style

There's even 3 other styles like the finger coils, bantu knots and double strand twist videos, I've tried the product and love it !
    Last edited by Moderator T; 03-05-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: pank 2 lank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12