Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 15 months & no conditioner

I want to start conditioning my hair. But im only 15 months in & i dont want my hair to be falling off. I also want to start using leave in conidtioner. But i need the right type. Honestly i just want my hair to look right . It looks dull and dry , i dont really do much with it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would your hair fall off from using conditioner? Or do you mean you don't want it to soften up and untangle?

I never stopped using conditioner and my hair locked up and has stayed locked for 6 & 1/2 years so far. I do have the extremely coily/kinky hair though. For me, conditioner can AID in detangling but just using it without actively detangling (combing through my hair) would never actually detangle MY hair.

Do you clarify your hair at all? Some people don't need conditioner because clarifying helps with dullness and dryness. There are clarifying shampoos and of course apple cider vinegar (ACV).

Do you use any oils after washing your hair to seal in moisture? I alternate between extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) and coconut oil.

I've also read that people will dilute their conditioner (or use clear conditioner) and spritz it onto their hair as a leave in. Carol's Daughter sells a leave-in spray moisturizer. I'm sure other companies do also.

I bet you can find a lot of great info by reading through some old threads in this forum.

Best wishes to you.
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

3. Likes bebedee, coalblacklocs liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what I need! a Clarifying Shampoo

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But i already use a shampoo like that. But its also moisturizing, if that makes any sense. So dilute conditioner with water and BAM !!! which conditioner do you use or leave in conditioner?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm awed at 15 months!

I started using leave in conditioners on the first week or two and I started in the beginning of April. I have never looked back since (despite the feedback, otherwise). My hair was just getting too dry to do otherwise, sadly.

Because of my experience, that's why I always urge to go with what's best for you and YOUR hair. I am personally a fan of Jane Carter's Revitalizing Leave In conditioner since it's fairly easy to find in drugstores/target. I've also heard good things about Infusium23 for dreads but I have yet to try it myself.

BTW-My stylist during retwistings uses a natural Shea Butter mix as well and it's been a godsend to moisturize my scalp and locs. She doesn't use that much but she makes sure to place me under the dryer for the Shea Butter to properly melt....and I clarify regularly, no issues with buildup at all(knock on wood), especially since I use Dawn detergent every now and again

P.S.-I'd clarify your hair first since you mentioned using a mosturizing shampoo so any conditioner you do decide to use can be most effective.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with A - your hair won't fall out.

For your issue:
    Feed your hair some moisture. Try aloe vera juice that is organic(keep refrigerated), then seal with a light oil (jojoba,grape seed). As far as the leave in conditioners, you can do what you want to do, yes..but realize build up from conditioners may take 2-3 years to show up as it spreads from the inner core to the outside of your locks, slowly and methodically over the years. It may be fine for now, but the purpose of most conditioners is to detangle(defeats the purpose of locking) and to leave residue that will aid in slip and shine, which is horrific for locks. You can also condition with herbal teas that dont contribute to detangling (hibiscus, chamomile, rosemary). There's no need to starve your locks. hth!

8. Likes pie, Beloved2Him liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good leave in hair moisturizer/conditioner is "Hair Lotion" by Alaffia. It's all natural and free trade. I use it on my roots since it's very light, non-greasy, doesn't cause build up, and smells heavenly. You can also use it all over your locs as well.

Knotty's right about using aloe very juice. I'll spritz it on my locs after I wash them, and they have kept my locs moisturized.
    Natural since Dec. 2003

10. Thanks KnottyAuthor thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started to do all this yesterday & i did a hot oil treatment ..feels good but now my hair is oily as **** like its bad i dont know what went wrong. I rinsed it out .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you rinse it out with just water? When I rinse out any oil treatment I use a conditioner with the water. Not sure if that's what you're supposed to do but just using water my hair feels gunky. I figure since shampoo removes oils it would be counterproductive to use that after a hot oil treatment.