Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Baby Loc Question about Thickness

Hey guys!! So I loc'ed on November 27 and so far everything is going great... I think. I went for my first retwist appointment last week. It's been a few days and even though my loctician said this is normal I just want to ask the boards' opinion. So my baby locs are thin where she retwisted and thin at the ends but in the middle they're kinda clumped and much thicker. Is this the norm? Also is that the thickness my locs are going to eventually be? Am I overthinking things??? Ah lol. I wish I had someone loc'ed who I knew and could ask these questions lololol.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thickness or puffiness is normal, that's what happens as your initial twists unravels and start locking. It will mat and tighten up eventually.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xtremelyperfect View Post
    Hey guys!! So I loc'ed on November 27 and so far everything is going great... I think. I went for my first retwist appointment last week. It's been a few days and even though my loctician said this is normal I just want to ask the boards' opinion. So my baby locs are thin where she retwisted and thin at the ends but in the middle they're kinda clumped and much thicker. Is this the norm? Also is that the thickness my locs are going to eventually be? Am I overthinking things??? Ah lol. I wish I had someone loc'ed who I knew and could ask these questions lololol.

Hello,

I definitely think you are over thinking it (which is ALSO normal, btw) Your baby locs are thin where the roots are twisted, because it's your loose growth thinly and neatly in a twist--where there is no tangling--the tangles give you the illusion of volume. I must warn you that you won't really know the size your locs are going to be until they are out of the teenage phase and they have matured (and you won't know when that is until you get there, and one day you say: VOILA! they're mature!)

My advice is to just enjoy the moments of wonder and surprise that your locs will bring you through out the process.

One Love,
    SR

4. Likes KiDD QuE, KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you know how thick your locs will turn out, is it based on the hair that is sectioned off?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You dont know at first, you can have an idea, based upon the grid...however it will depend on your maintenance method chosen and your texture. By month 6 you'll have a good idea....but it's not until around 18 months that things start to calm down and the locks begin to mature into who they will become...enjoy!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses ladies. I just went to have my retwist and I feel much better. I'm gonna take your advice and just go with the flow and enjoy my new journey.

8. Likes Sole_Rebel, KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    You dont know at first, you can have an idea, based upon the grid...however it will depend on your maintenance method chosen and your texture. By month 6 you'll have a good idea....but it's not until around 18 months that things start to calm down and the locks begin to mature into who they will become...enjoy!

Could you elaborate a little on the maintenance methods role in eventual maturity size

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyO View Post
    Could you elaborate a little on the maintenance methods role in eventual maturity size
    I think it might have something to do with palm rolling, vs latching and so on.

Latched locs --at least from the ones I've seen-- look a little more compact than palm rolled ones.
    Of course exceptions exist, but that was the first thing that came to mind.