Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Teen- Big Chop....TODAY!!

I am sooo excited, but then again i'm scared out of my mind. I wasn't going to BC until the end of the year so i can have time to get use to my hair but dealing with the two textures is horrible. I know i shouldn't be worried about what other people think but let's face it it's high school. The thing that i'm worried about most is looking like a dude Lol. I've been transitioning for about 5 months maybe more and my hair is already coily so i have basically already fell in love with my natural hair. I guess i just need a little inspiration so i don't chicken out.

2. Likes ~GAN~ liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations Coco! Welcome to the natural world.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats to you!!!!!!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations on your decision!
    With five months of new growth, you will not look like a boy.
    What will happen with the relaxed hair still on is breakage, which will ultimately mess up the perfectly good hair God gave you.
    You live in one of the USA's humid regions. Based upon what you're saying about your hair, I think spreading on little bit of drug-store Glycerine, which is a humectant, combined with a bit of low-alcohol commercial 'curl activator' gel, should work very well for you.

Good luck, little Sister

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats and welcome! I wish I had the strength and confidence to go natural when I was in high school
    BC: 12.4.06

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've told this story in a couple different spots on the board, but I think it will do the most good here. My niece plays varsity basketball (ok played...she's a senior and the season just ended) in high school. One of her team mates big chopped either last year, or the year before — I forget now. Anyhoo, the story goes, as per my niece, that one of the guys on the boy's basketball team laughed at her when he first saw her. He told her, "You look like a boy!" She just laughed too and said, "Yeah, I guess I do!" And went about her business.

When I first saw her I was ecstatic! She's the cutest thing ever. So self confident and self assured. A year later, another basketball player on the girl's team big chopped. Then this year, there's a sophomore on the team who big chopped.

As I went to the games over the past couple of years, I've seen more and more high schoolers going for it. More young people. I was on a college campus with my niece a couple of weeks ago and there was nappy hair EVERYWHERE.

So while I'm sure you'll apprehensive, I think if you approach this with confidence when you step out the door, you'll be just fine. Personally, I didn't big chop. But back when I went natural NO ONE where I lived was wearing their own hair so I had no role models and I had yet to tap into the internet. So you're lucky, even if you don't see a lot of young people around you with natural hair, at least you can come here for support.

Everyone on NP is behind you 100 percent. So there you have it. (((hugs))) Can't wait to see the new you!
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

8. Likes Cybrie liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Returning to my natural roots

Quote Originally Posted by Coco25 View Post
    I am sooo excited, but then again i'm scared out of my mind. I wasn't going to BC until the end of the year so i can have time to get use to my hair but dealing with the two textures is horrible. I know i shouldn't be worried about what other people think but let's face it it's high school. The thing that i'm worried about most is looking like a dude Lol. I've been transitioning for about 5 months maybe more and my hair is already coily so i have basically already fell in love with my natural hair. I guess i just need a little inspiration so i don't chicken out.
    Good for you! I just started my transition and I am sooo not ready to cut my ralxed hair off yet. My last relaxer was in december 2012 and I plan on transitioning until dec. 2013. I hope I will be ready to do the big chop then.