Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Journey

Been wanting to post about this and just haven't had the courage.

http://public.fotki.com/sm116/hr/loss/
    pw: "hloss"

Take 1:
    The first 11 pictures are from last year, Jan-March 2012. The dermatologist told me it was locs and braids that caused the hair loss due to constant tension, even though I wasn't a big braid wearer and wasn't very anal about tightening my previous set of locs. He recommended a big chop, washing every other day or every few days, and letting the hair be free for awhile. Pics 12-18 are last year's Big Chop.

I thought I was prepared. We're all big girls and we've big chopped before.

I bought 2 wigs and I cried like a baby. I've been reading those "Rocking a Baldy/Fade/Short Cut" threads to make myself feel better.

Take 2:
    Fast forward 6 months. December 2012. I finally have enough hair to braid (about 3 inches) and I let my sister play in it and put in kinky twists. I take them down in January after about 6 weeks. Half my hair falls out. (See pics #19 and 20.) My hair continues to break and come out in my hands until it's nearly clean in the middle (see pics #21 & 22). I put in yarn braids where I can to try and cover it up. I could cut, but it's so bad I'd have a true fade, less than 1/2". At this point, the breakage has slowed and hair is no longer clogging the drain when I wash. I have an appt with the dermatologist in 2 weeks, but I think I already know the answer. I believe they'll say I have t.e. (telogen effluvium), and the answer will be to b.c. again and hope it heals with time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Lessons:
    Don't be stupid like I was. If your hair falls out, and keeps falling (or breaking off), check your medication.

In the meantime, I'm learning lots about wigs, and hoping I don't have to make this same post next year. 3 big chops is enough!!!

And now that you've seen my pretty face... any tips on how to manage this, or wig recommendations? I like this http://www.wigwarehouse.com/Human-Ha...afhh-paris.htm and this http://www.dhgate.com/fashion-human-...9eb3f7a8f.html. I have a shorter wig now and it's starting to feel a bit Motown

Not all bad, but not the look I was going for. It's so weird to see myself with straight hair!
    Last edited by issa; 03-21-2013 at 03:18 AM.

2. Thanks Intellexual, fuzzy_slippers thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, my dear firstly let me say that I read first and then looked at your pics...the first thing I noticed was your beautiful face and not your hair. Now I understand you were having some hair loss issues. I would have my blood checked to see if I was vitamin D deficient if you are the Dr can tell you how much you need and you will have to take it with a calcium supplement. Stress can also work that hair right out of our head...take a big breathe and concentrate on looking good at any stage your hair falls in and embrace that. Wigs work too for a minute...have fun! ~Deppi

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be persistent with the doc. Get checked thoroughly...thyroid, vitamin deficiency, diet, EVERYTHING.

Sending you good thoughts and positive energy.
    Nappy since November 11, 2003

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both so much! Having support is very encouraging. I'm in month 2 of the "big chop" and have about 1/2" to 1" of hair. Feels weird and hard to get used to. Grateful it's growing.