Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I just interlocked my hair yesterday (Took me 6 evenings) HELP! Clueless

So i got a tool and interlocked my own hair my hair is between 8.5 to 10 inches all around.

Im worried i didnt do the perfect parts? Some parts are bigger than others will that affect my locs and or size ect?

Some of the interloced locs have loops in them like when u spread it, its a hole? Since my locs are brand new will those holes close up?

Also i have no clue what i can put on my locs, and how often do i wash it. What to do and not to do regarding my hair.
    Do i avoid oils and conditioners till its loced completely? Im so lost

THanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to locdom, first take a breath and stop worrying.

1. The size of your locs is determined by the size of your partings, so if you want the locs the same size the parts need to be the same, but as long as they are close in size I would not worry.
    2. The holes in your locs will not close up, I would check youtube on how to latch and avoid holes or someone on here will give you the remedy for this one. I'm not a DIYer so will pass on this one
    3. Wash your locs when its dirty, just like before and avoid items that can cause build up such as creamy shampoos and conditioners. If you do use them dilute them in water. I would recommend not using conditioners in the early stages (estimate up to six months depends on your hair type) since you do not want your hair to detangle but to tangle up to aid the locking process.
    4. Go through some of the older posts that might cover the topics you need, they are a good resource
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. When you say your parts are different sizes are you refering to yours locs being different sizes? The size of your parts and the size of your locs are basically personal preference. Your mature locs will be eqivalent in size to surrounding parts.How did you interlock your hair and do you know what caused the holes? Do you have a lot of holes? Holes in locs will not mend themselves as mentioned above. They should be avoided at all cost. Though they cannot heal themselves they can be repaired. If not repaired the loc eventually becomes weak and thins out. Thin locs are vulnerable to breakage. One way to repair holes is with needle and thread. Use thread that closely matches the color of your hair. Or you can use clear thread from a craft store like Jo Anns or Michaels. The needle size holes will not damage your locs because its tiny and will not be visible. Just sew the opposite sides together completely covering the hole. Eventually the thread will be incorporated into the rest of your loc. When it comes to oils and conditioners you should stay away until your hair is fully loc'd. Even interlocked hair can have slippage. You do not want to slow down the loc formation. Also oils can cause bunching on new locs. Locs love water so use that spray bottle generously. You can also use moisturizing sprays. Just a tiny bit. I would suggest one part solution and three parts water. you will have plenty of time to luxuriate with oils in the future. Now focus on healthy nourished locs from the inside. Try to leave them alone and let them do their own thing. Lot's of water,omega threes,fruits and veggies. I wish you well along your journey and please keep us posted. Please stay encouraged as you go through the phases of the loc process. It can get rough but you can get through it just like the rest of us. Oh,If the holes in the locs are at the base it means you went through the same hole twice during the interlock process. Try to avoid doing that. However those can also be repaired. Use your loc tool at the top point of where the y shaped hole meets the loc strand. Starting from that point do a four point rotation all the way around that loc until it closes up to the base of your scalp. If you need a demonstration go to utube and put in "closing the Y ". That tutorial is how I learned to close mine. Hope this helps. Blessings.
    Last edited by Onnica; 09-24-2013 at 07:57 AM.