Thread: BSL in 2014

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have discovered flat twists, I think I'll create an Instagram as well so I can show progress (if any) as the months progress.

CoilyHairedBeauty: You are well on your way

Thanks ladies for joining.

2. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy New Year!
    So a mini- update:
    1.)As much as I love Oyin handmade hair dew simple can not afford it at the moment. I usually get it at curlmart with the coupon code, so that with shipping I am paying about 20 something dollars. However, they are out of stock -_- in the 8oz and 16oz. So I decided to get Eden Body Coconut Shea Leave in today on the ground.
    2.)Tried Bobeam Shampoo bars I think I love them so much better then shampoo in the bottle. It lathers quicker and it just feels better.
    3.)Took my mini twists out Monday/Tuesday so I am going to reinstall mini twists/braids or loose twists when I get home to Nashville
    4.) Still working on building a regimen but it is coming along much better than in the past.
    5.)Researching about butters... working on a better I guess sealing technique

Any updates ladies?

"Stop...think about...let it simmer.... The more you try to define, the more you realize that some things in this life of ours are indefinable....I am one of those people that one word can not describe me in my entirety. But if I would describe myself...it would be indefinable!"

4. Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy New Year!

I'm not sure how to post pics, but this year I plan to

co wash every week with sheamoisture raw shea butter conditioner and cleansing every month with a mix of diluted ACV or use bentonite clay

I usually moisturize with EVOO, castor oil, and (newly added) baobab oil. Every so often I use one of the moisturizing creams I have (eg carol's healthy hair butter)

I spritz my hair with a combo of water and AVJ whenever my hair feels dry and seal with EVOO, castor oil, or baobab oil

Currently my hair is in twists - when it's not, it's in a bun or a twist out
    The thing about twists for me though is that I don't detangle after I take them down due to the twist out and when the twist out is less defined, I don't detangle to put it in a bun. I shed like crazy! So I definitely want to improve that this year

It would also be wonderful if I could incorporate more protein in my regimen since my hair feels as though it's really lacking that. Do any of you ladies know of any products that are high in protein? Also, how's the journey to BSL starting off for you this year?

6. Likes AStone, amourese liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it looks like I'll be working with my own hair after all. I've had two months since my braid challenge ended, and still can't find a style I want to stick with. My hair has grown a ton, but to be honest, I can't do what I want to do with SL hair.

Styles: 2 cornrows or flat twists
    sock bun
    roll, tuck & pin
    WnG?

I'm on a personal 6-month finger-combing only challenge. In addition to that, I will be strictly co-washing for the same period of time. If I need extra cleansing, I'll put baking soda in the conditioner. Several times a week, I'll apply a dab of product and baggy my ends/whole head overnight.

Products: Tresemme Naturals
    Elasta QP mango butter
    evoo
    baking soda & acv
    water

*Sometimes I use yogurt and honey e.t.c. for treatments.

"Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

8. Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may start doing box braids instead of two strand twists for my protective style. I hate how box braids look on me because my hair is fine with med/low density so it looks thin without extensions but since I can no longer wear extensions I will give it a try and see. Box braids also take longer than twists to install but they will hold up better to weekly washing than twists since they won't mat up easily. As long as the braids are not too small I may be able to keep them in for 3-4 weeks at a time.
    Yet another natural hair journey...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shell98/

10. Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy (belated) New Years Ladies!

Trueimage15: I've heard that infusion 23 is a good leave-in spray for hair that needs a protein boost.

CoilyHairedBeauty: Your style options are banging, please don't hesitate to post pictures along the way And I'm right there with you on the "no combing" challenge, combs act like scissors on my hair.

Sheli: I too am relying on box braids for most of my protective styling options.

As for me, right now I have styled my hair in small-medium box braids with two flat twists along my hairline. This allows for me to stay in this style for months at a time whilst preventing the hair along my hairline from breaking.

My plan is to keep this style for 2 - 3 months, I only refresh the flat twists once a week or biweekly. I do not intend on refreshing the braids until it's time to remove them, once I remove them (and if I see no ill effects) I will give my hair a weeks break in a different style and then back to this.

I still do the same routine and I have added a new oil concoction consisting of EVOO, baobab seed oil and a few drops of tea tree EO. This goes atop my shea butter when I don't want to use castor oil, giving me seal and sheen without the humectant properties of castor oil.

I created a PhotoBucket to post pictures from, here is a link to my album [ http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/My...?sort=6&page=1 ] with pictures I took today.

The slight difference in length comes from me taking the pictures by simply pulling my hair and then a second time after doing a quick finger detangle.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@AStone: You're so close to bsl! You'll make it probably within the next few months!

It'll probably take me until the end of the year, lol...

--
    So, only one "out" style for me a week. It's just coming back to me how effective hiding my ends was, back in 2010.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

13. Thanks AStone thanked for this post
    Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Trueimage15: Aubrey's Organic GPB Balancing Conditioner is quite affordable and work wonders for a protein boost. I believe it is on the medium to lighter side of protein conditioners, however, with it you can use it a little bit more often because of the amount. And you will get your moneys worth it is approx. $10-12 on ground at Whole foods for 11fl oz. Curlmart.com also sells it but idk about the shipping.
    You have good rock solid regimen. At the moment , I am still a work in progress -_-
    @AStone: You are quite close to BSL! I concur with CoilyHairedBeauty
    @CoilyHairedBeauty: I like your regimen. It is simple and yet, I find that having a method that you can follow often works best
    @shell98 I am getting irritated I have high density of fine strands however, twists doesn't do my big head justice. Maybe I should go to box braids as well. After, mini-twists and I realize why I do not put them in...I didn't do a good job and ended up in some place with some SSKs when my hair was tangled and roots were matted. Smh, never again.

As for me:
    1.) Oyin hair dew seems to work best for my hair. My hair doesn't feel well moisturized with others I have tried esp. Eden's Body Coco Shea leave-in. I gave it away to my younger cousin who have coarse, high-density, relaxed hair with high-porosity. So I am going to stick with it.
    2.) My deep-conditioner search no longer continues. I have decided to stay with Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew works best. My hair use to love the Shea moisture deep treatment mask. Not anymore, the only one in which seems to do well is the Purification mask. I am upset Spiral Solutions Deep Decadent isn't that great -_-. I wanted a good purely moisturizing DC.
    3.) Building a regimen is ever pending....Idk how I manage to get to APL and retain it. going to go back to some earlier products I have tried and worked wonders.

"Stop...think about...let it simmer.... The more you try to define, the more you realize that some things in this life of ours are indefinable....I am one of those people that one word can not describe me in my entirety. But if I would describe myself...it would be indefinable!"

15. Thanks AStone thanked for this post
    Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ladies but I think I'll need the entire year. My hair breaks very easily and loves to tangle, all I'll need is one screw-up and I'll be cutting inches again lol. Still it's nice to have hope

Sooo anyone else got pics??

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Ladies,

I honestly thought I was closer to APL and only realized the extra length when I took pictures with the tube top. With that in mind I think it's only fair to bow out of this challenge and join something more appropriate.

Despite having brittle, breakage prone hair I'm starting off too close to the finish line, which isn't fair. I wish you all fast growing, healthy and luscious hair. I will check back regularly to see how everyone is doing so please keep this going, thank you all for joining the challenge

18. Likes amourese, CoilyHairedBeauty liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast