Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember being so green to natural hair, but being so touched personally by the all the support from veterans who took the time to help answer all my million+ questions with patience and love. I couldn't wait to pass the info on to other people and couldn't wait to tell them about this site.

I remember being so excited to see another natural out and about (total strangers) and feeling like we could talk for days about different things we struggled with, different products, etc. There were so few people natural and you almost always knew they were on NP as lurkers or regular posters.

I learned EVERYTHING about natural hair from this site alone. It has opened a ton of doors. My gratitude for this site will always be endless. I couldn't go a day without coming on here. Even when Dee would be updating the site, we couldn't stay away and she had to tell us to quit logging in until she was done lol! This has been the only TRUE and HONEST site that teaches us to love and embrace our texture *as is*. So much useful info on this site...so thankful for all of you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP I remember many of your 'holy grail' posts bc I was struggling with my hair too.

I def remember buying tons of products recommended by napturals....Aussie moist, Stay soft fro(I liked this Iono why I stopped using it).
    And being sad and trying to stock up when stuff was discontinued like Daily Defense tender apple conditioner. I'll never forget the slip.*tear*

3. Likes gilroygal liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when I first found this site... I felt like a ah ha moment, almost like I was home. I literally just woke up one day, during the summer before my final year of undergrad and thought" Why do have to relax my hair?" Thus the quest for knowledge begin and here I land on NP. What a Godsend! The only place I know,still to this day where your hair in its natural state is celebrated. No talk of straight flowing hair etc etc. Really taught and helped me to embrace what I have naturally.

I remember logging onto this constantly everyday for several years to learn how to take care of my hair, learn how to do style and later on to come help others as I was helped. Due to the uniqueness of this site and stressing the importance of loving your hair unaltered.... I never really was one to obsess over length, the latest greatest products or meeting some challenge.

That has carried me to today where I am able to love and embrace my hair at length most women are to afraid or dare to go to.
    I dont frequent the way I did a few years ago because while I'm huge advocate and love natural hair I pretty much know what to do to get whatever Im trying to achieve with my hair no matter how I'm wearing it......but I gained so much for NP that I continue to be will stay pink.

5. Thanks Miss T thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember aimlessly searching on my old laptop for ideas on how to care for my hair back in 2005. I'd been on the fence regarding letting go of the relaxer, and thanks to my hairdresser (who I still see for trims and such) insistence, I happened upon NP. Back in those days, I was visiting NP every every evening after work, and on the weekends.

I thank NP for the support and encouragement that I've received over the years. Despite my not logging in nearly as frequently as I used to, I continue to financially support Dee and her vision. Thanks for what you do, Dee.

7. Thanks Miss T thanked for this post
    Likes ~GAN~, Batyah, mramsey liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Ladies!!!

I remember when I first found NP. I was still thinking about going natural but wasn't ready to take that step just yet. Well I made a 'mistake' and stumbled into a thread and made the comment about 'blending my natural hair with my permed hair so that it wouldn't be seen' and boy did I catch it for that statement. lol!! After that, I made the decision to just go ahead and transition and then BC. I haven't looked back since.

I remember when I use to be on NP day in and day out!! I couldn't get enough of it. And although I'm rarely on here, I still talk about the site to other ladies who are new at wearing their hair natural and encourage them to check out the site.

9. Thanks Miss T thanked for this post
    Likes ValleyOfDecision, winter1820 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I joined this site on June 3, 2003. I haven't turned back since.

I was on here all the time - daily, for hours, at work - didn't care. I learned so much, hair-wise & otherwise, and for that I'm eternally grateful. I was never a product junkie, though. I remember some of the veteran members, the interesting topics, the local gatherings... so much.

Thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by gilroygal View Post
    You know, as I think back to the year 2003 (roughly when I found this board despite the fact that it says that I joined in 2010) I just can't help reminiscing over all that I used to DO in regards to MY hair. I used to eagerly log on and read the latest hair product review, anxious to run out and purchase the latest "holy grail" that promised to deliver "soft" or "detangled" hair. I used to spend a LOT of time in the hair product aisles. I used to spend a LOT of money on new products. I USED TO long for longer hair. I used to spend a lot of time trying to get my hair to "do" things. I used to pick/comb my dry hair. I used to try to maintain the "perfect" fro. I used to start threads about "giving up". I used to be frustrated with my hair. I used to try to convert others to "natural".

It's funny when I think about it, because these days my hair just really isn't that big a deal. I have a routine, but it's so simple it's laughable. I no longer own numerous products. It basically just comes down to shampoo for me. My hair feels great and is retaining length, though shrinkage hides it very well. I don't try to convert anyone, I just wear my hair with pride. I'm no longer frustrated, I'm fascinated. Each time I look in the mirror, I love my little carpet (my daughter's description) fro.

I am raising a daughter who loves her fro as well. It's so liberating! She's 14 and she wears her fro to school with pride! She likes the perfect fro look, too. I keep it shaped up for her.

In short, I'm very happy with my hair.

I'd be happy to hear what YOU remember and what you've learned. Also wanted to add that I'm not knocking any of that stuff, just sharing things I've learned and what I FEEL has changed for the better FOR ME.

~Be blessed!
    "The backlash against bone-straight hair can't come quickly enough: I like my hair with its Afro personality intact." --Hannah Pool, journalist

11. Thanks Miss T, Batyah thanked for this post
    Likes mramsey, winter1820 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when...
    - I first decided to transition and my routine was poo+condish followed by globs of vasaline on wet hair and then chunky braids (ugh!)
    - I found this site (can't remember when) and first thought (a) who is Dee and why is she mentioned everywhere? and (b) the no heat deal was a bit much but that I would just go along with it while online *wink wink*
    -I learned a TON and of course haven't gone near relaxer since that one time before I transitioned!

all of this leads up to the time when I wore my hair completely out (for the first time) at an engagement party last year. Although going to an all ladies, hijabs off event (were I'm the only Black girl) wasn't new, up until that moment, I had never FULLY let my hair out in public (always in an updo or twists or something!).

I didn't just gain knowledge here, I gained confidence!!!

Thanks Dee (I know who you are now lol) and everyone on this site who patiently helped me along my journey!
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

13. Thanks Miss T, Batyah thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I remember when and how NP got started and it was because of the hair typing system. Dee created this forum for those of us who just appreciate and enjoy nappiness no matter the curl type. the pages were yellow, it was very basic. Both sites kind of looked a like but soon after np really blew up.

I was already nappy when I came on but I remember reading about shea butter here first. People were raving about it and I was like What is that thing? I need to get me some. Found it on the African American summer fairs first and loved it! I experimented with it a lot.

That's how I got a lot of recommendations and tried a few products but also recipes. That's the experience that got me started. Right here, the recommendations and recipes but there was so much going on. Gosh, Dee you should write a book about the History of NP.

I remember going to my first gathering. Here is an image of the 2nd one: https://www.nappturality.com/forums/...-NP-Gatherings

15. Thanks Serbbral thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when I cried at the thought of having to go natural. If it was not for Youtube and Nappturality.com I would not be natural today.
    I remember fighting with single strand knots and splints that went up the entire length of my hair. I came here to NP and learned about SLS and protein sensitivity. Thank you ladies!
    I remember being just like the OP in that, I would try and preach the nappy gospel in hopes of converting all the silky straight sinners.
    I remember this site had me spending lots of money on what ever product promised to get my "curls to pop". I had to come back to this site to learn that my hair type didn't have curls that would "pop" and that is okay.lol
    I remember getting my first curly pudding recipe from this site. I still make I to this day!
    Today my hair is growing. I am still learning but I know a lot more about my hair than I use to. Thank you NP.

17. Thanks Batyah, underthehood thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KemetCandy View Post
    I remember this site had me spending lots of money on what ever product promised to get my "curls to pop". I had to come back to this site to learn that my hair type didn't have curls that would "pop" and that is okay.lol
    This.

I've been natural since 2003, and I remember spending hours on youtube looking at tutorials on how to "define my curls," spending money on different conditioners and puddings and gels and spending hours in the mirror "shingling" and "twirling," all in the quest for curl definition. *smh* That's time out of my life that I will never get back- LOL!!!

Thank goodness I finally accepted that my hair has no curls to define. Only napps. And my hair is the bomb.

*tosses BIG. ***. AFRO.*

~Love the hair you have~

19. Thanks Batyah thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast