Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alopecia and my sisterlocs

Well, I am 52 and have two big bald patches on the back of my head right by my ears. The derm said it was alopecia areata and told me to put this steroid lotion on the patches. He offered shots but I am a chicken and not sure if it would help anyway.

So I don't really know what to do...do I cut the locs (which I get tons of compliments on but which are thinning anyway) and go with a wig or weave? I am NOT one for a lot of work on hair so I am thinking about the wig route.

I am in the Atlanta area and would also love to know if you have any salons that could help me...I know about Honeecomb and Urbanbella.

I am sooooo sad since I do like my locs...I am in menopause, gaining weight and now this....
    May the road rise up to meet you...may the wind be ever at your back...(Irish Prayer)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very interested in this as well. I'm 33 and I used to have a big ole head of hair BUT then my thyroid freaked out and I got Lupus. Within a two week span 40% of my hair just fell out---to utter baldness. Now my hair is still recovering and my edges are much thinner than they were PLUS I had to do another big chop but now that is all over and my hair is back to its normal length (just above apl) but I am thinking about locking...

and what you are saying is that being locked hasn't helped you? that your locks don't cover the bald spots? Did you try the steroid lotion?
    For at no time are any events predestined. There should be no such word in your vocabulary, for with every moment you change, and every heartbeat is an action, and every action changes every other action - Seth, channeled via Jane Roberts in the Early Sessions Book 5, page 49.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, interestingly enough, my thyroid went terribly bad many years ago (about 2007ish) and I had to have radioactive iodine to kill it. Now its hypo. So through it all I never had a problem with my hair. I just started having problems in the last 2-3 years when stress got the best of me. My sisterlocs started to get thin...something I think they would have done anyway. Then the whole back on both sides decided to up and leave. So I have about a palm sized bald spot on both sides of my head right by my ears. My sisterlocs cover them but they are starting to fall out as well. I am cutting the whole thing and going to wear wigs off and on until I am able to get the hair to grow back. I hope I can...You may like sisterlocs. I love mine but my hair doesn't like them right now.
    May the road rise up to meet you...may the wind be ever at your back...(Irish Prayer)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, hold up! I know people that make hair pieces and I know other women with alopecia. The piece is made especially for your sensitive areas that are hairless, and leaves gaps for you to pull your attached locks through!!!

Kentucky Kinx is one place to start. I'll look for my other bookmarks and come back. My mom has traditional and central alopecia, we had one made for her and she loves it!

Stay healthy, walk, incorporate yoga and keep it moving. I have found the key is building that muscle base to counter our muscle turning to fat-which happens as we go through menopause. I'm there and - the struggle is real but you can do it-transform your thinking and your habits (e.g. water not pop, drink half your body weight in water a day, eat almonds when you crave chips/fries). Help your mind transform and your body and your skin and hair will thank you too. IT's just little adjustments that need to be made to counter the fat fight for middle age woes…I'll be back!

Here's another(I've seen better but it's a start) .http://www.thelockingcenter.com/Have...Balding--.html

Make sure to google, hairless and Sisterlocks. Most will ask you to send them pictures and make a custom piece for you! Let us know how things go! You can win both battles! Don't give up!
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 04-04-2014 at 09:45 AM.

5. Likes OHR, ~GAN~, cissia liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vetpoo View Post
    My sisterlocs started to get thin...something I think they would have done anyway.

You may like sisterlocs. I love mine but my hair doesn't like them right now.
    Why do you think they would've gotten thin anyway?

What makes you say your hair doesn't like them right now?
    For at no time are any events predestined. There should be no such word in your vocabulary, for with every moment you change, and every heartbeat is an action, and every action changes every other action - Seth, channeled via Jane Roberts in the Early Sessions Book 5, page 49.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thank you!!!!

And I was 3 days away from cutting it all off! Let me see what can be done. I will check into the websites you gave me!
    I actually have pictures I can send.

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone. I started out with SL's. I specifically told my consultant that I did not prefer the tiny locs. They just seemed too fragile for me. I ended up with SL's so tiny that they looked like string. SL's are tiny locs period though some are larger they are still small compared to other types of locs. It was a money thing for her. However I was none too pleased so she lost more in the long run because she lost my trust,my business and the referrels I would have sent to her. Anyhoo,I digress. I since have combined my locs so I now have small Nappylocs. As locs transform they will go through a natural phase of thinning. This takes place usually between the third and fourth year. Add that to other health isses that are affecting your hair growth and you will have noticeable thinning. So it's not always because something is wrong with your locs it could be the normal phase. I was taught that by Thevideoloctician/Phyllis. I believe it is also mentioned in the book called The Knotty Truth. I was concerned that if super thin locs thin out where was that going to leave my locs? I'm headed towards my third year now. I'm trying to keep my locs as healthy as I possibly can. The issues I have I had went I loc'd so as long as worse does not occur I should be fine. Another loc piece site is called Gerrylocs.com but I have sent e-mails and have not received any responses yet. She is located in Philadelphia. I hope this info helps someone. Peace and Blessings.

9. Thanks satriela thanked for this post
    Likes ~GAN~ liked this post
    Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Loc Pieces

Hi All.@KnottyAuthor I was unable to find any information about loc pieces on Kentuckykinks.com nor Thelockingcenter.com. Is there a specific blogger we may need to contact? Any additional information would be helpful. Thank You. Peace and Blessings.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I did it!

I cut the locs off! Here is what I look like now. Not bad...a bit short (alright bald!) in the back but overall...not bad! My locs were getting very thin and breaking off. At least now I can start over!
    Name:  20140419_144759.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  6.6 KB

12. Likes deecoily, Miss T liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooo Vetpoo you look great with the ttwa!! How are you going to do your locs again? Are you SURE you want to start Ithem again? I'd give your hair some time to recover and fill out where the bald patches are before doing anything but if it fills in fast you may be able to so something sooner.

14. Thanks Miss T thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast