Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree VP, I hope you don't go right back into locks. I've seen others with alopecia do it and they were very hopeful, waiting a year b/f reinstalling, only to take them out again because it did not complement the health of their scalp.

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very pretty Vetpoo. That style and color fits your face nicely. I agree with Dee you should probably allow your scalp to get some rest. Check out the sponge method of starting locs on short hair. It really works and only takes a few minutes to do. You can wear it as a style or just let them go and start your new loc journey without causing any drama to your scalp at all. If you can up your nutrition do so. Our hair and nails get nutrients last. Your body automatically takes care of the majors organs first. That may be a factor with the thinning. Of course Menopause and Thyroid issues affect hair also. All these issues need to be considered. A healthy diet helps with all of the above and most of us can do better. hope this helps .
    Expect Great Things!

3. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the fact that you made a decision and went with it. I have been wearing locks for twelve years. I had Sisterlocks for three years. Due to aging and medication, I developed a severe case of alopecia. Easily 1/2 to 1/3 of my hair is gone. I combined my locks and eventually got a hairpeice.

There is a stylist in Philadelphia named Gerry Mayo, who makes prostheses for people with locks.

My stylist in NYC is able to arrange my own hair in a way that covers the baldness without using artificial hair. That's how I prefer to get by. The day may arrive when I have to rely on a wig.
    la vida es un carnaval.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Alopecia and my sisterlocs

During my loss journey I went for the shave my head method. I love it anyway so it wasn't a major transition for me in terms of style. But what I learned is that going to a regular dermatologist delayed what could have actually saved some of my hair and halted the process of loss with proper treatment. I now have a dermatologist at the Cleveland clinic. They specialize in ethnic/multicultural hair loss. My treatments are working. My hair has come back a lot with steroid treatments. Its not the same as before, but it is much better than its been in years and really not noticeable to the naked eye. A good diet is crucial. Water. Protein. I stopped eating meat. Im on multivitamins. Vitamin D supplements. Biotin forte. And an antibiotic. Plus a shampoo for once a week and a medicated treatment. Its a lot but its working. There is hope!!! I finally decided to let my baldness grow back in and have yarn braids. My doctor approves my styles as long as they're not tight or too heavy...

6. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12