Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Am I salvagable?

I'm super thin at my roots, especially up front, with tons of loose hair around.

http://imgur.com/a/BwzoK

I actually lost something when it got thinner than I thought it was and was hanging on by almost nothing. I try not to do much with it, just letting it grow and now I'm worrying it's gone too far one way and there's no saving it.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW. OK, it is hard to see exactly what is going on because the pics arent very focused but from what I can see the locs in front are almost the same width from base to ends but they are very thin. And the unlocked hair in between is short, right? So that tells me that the locs may not only be breaking from the base but also just aren't forming correctly at the base, or maybe even unlocking. Your hair texture up there doesn't look very tight so that could be the case, they are unlocking.

You will need to get the hair at the base into those thin locs if you want to save them and you can use a latchhook to pull the hair in at the base BUT if your hair is truly thinning (balding) then this fix won't last long as your hair falls out. Like I said, I can't see clearly but those are my first thoughts.

In any case, you should go see a loctician to determine if the problem is thinning or just unravelling. If they are very thin at the base, they may need to have hair added into them by a loctician to thicken them, and your own hair pulled in.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think its actually thinning. It's all quite a bit longer than it was when I started but the this only started pretty recently.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK then it may be that it is unravelling at the base or may even be breaking off there, if the loose hair is very short. If it is breaking, you will need to look at your products and your grooming regimen to try and combat that. Are your locs thinning anywhere else?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, reply notification slipped into my spam folder somehow.

The hair is loose, but not as bad elsewhere. It's really the edges that are the main problem. Is there something I can do to get the hairs there into the body of something nearby? Should I have been doing something to encourage the new growth to loc?

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well really, the only thing you can do is continue twisting into the base of the existing loc and see if it will pick it up. A little aloe gel can help hold the shorter hairs in place while they lock into the base. The base is so thin now a latch may not be advisable unless done by a professional. Just coil the looes hair around the base of the loc and hold in place with a gel. I suggest you try and keep your hairline covered somehow - maybe with a lockcap with a satin hairline edge inside, as much as possible until the loose hairs lock in. You will need to be diilgent and keep those loose hairs coiled around the base!

I remember back when I had locs, I used a loc cuff to hold the base together while locking loose hairs in. I did this way back before online forums existed so made it up as I went along. It may be worth a try.