Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Starting Locs with a Several Inches of Hair

I've searched around the web for resources, but haven't gleaned much. So I have a few questions:

1. Say a person has more than 10 inches of natural hair and wants to get locs...will the locs show the true length of the hair or will some of the length be "lost" in the loc. For instance, if the person had 10" to start with, would the locs reflect a true 10" or would it only show maybe 7" or so?

2. Did any of you ladies begin with longer-than-average starter length? Could you post some progression pics of your journey/links to others? I've been hard-pressed to find a progression pic fotki or anything of the sort that details someone beginning their loc journey this way.

3. Which method would be the best to begin locs with longer hair?

By the way, I have 4b/4c hair that seems to just yearn to be loc'd haha...I can turn over in my sleep and wake up to a loc in my head, lol. It just mats/tangles quite easily, so I was wondering if this would be a good change for me because detangling my free hair is a time-devouring nightmare.

Thank you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there.

The locs will not show the "true" length of the hair. Length will definitely be lost in the loc as when braiding, twisting or coiling the hair, the hair naturally loses length. Over time the true length of the hair will shrink as that is what happens when loc'ing hair. They shrink in and on themselves and this process is what actually helps to form a strong loc.

I started with just above shoulder length hair and did not document my journey much in the beginning.

I cannot say for sure what the best way to begin locs on longer hair is, but many hear have started with braid locs or 2 strand twists. I started with braids but if I were to start again I'd use 2 strand twists as I have a belief that this method "may" give the loc a fuller look after it has fully lock'ed.

Whichever way you choose to start, if you start, enjoy the journey. It's hella fun!
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

3. Thanks lilybean thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Say a person has more than 10 inches of natural hair and wants to get locs...will the locs show the true length of the hair or will some of the length be "lost" in the loc. For instance, if the person had 10" to start with, would the locs reflect a true 10" or would it only show maybe 7" or so?

I had 12-14 inches both sets-had a set of braid locks and Sisterlocks (now)..shrinkage will depend upon your hair type. They will shrink for the first 1-18 months on average. Bet on half your length by end of yr 1.

2. Did any of you ladies begin with longer-than-average starter length? Could you post some progression pics of your journey/links to others? I've been hard-pressed to find a progression pic fotki or anything of the sort that details someone beginning their loc journey this way.

in my fotki/had blogs about it as well as other media

3. Which method would be the best to begin locs with longer hair?

It depends on your lifestyle and personality but i would bet that braids/latched locks would work well for you..then a maintenance option that you prefer.