Likes Likes:  3
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Wow, look at all these changes!

Hi All,

I was a former member of Nappturality awhile back. My name was Jojo-iz-Nappy. I couldn't access my old id and decided to join in as a new name as I am not the same Naptural I was back then anyway.

I dropped off the face of the earth for a few years. I went bohemian, not using anything other than coconut oil, Aloe juice, Aloe gel and distilled water on my hair. Scritching, the Mexican Washcloth Method and other means of keeping my scalp clean were rotated parts to my routine. I have done this for four years and seven months.

I think I'm ready to explore a different routine

So here I am back at Nappturality, looking for inspiration.

Love the new look of the website!

I'd also like to give a a shot out to nappyme for all the work she put into cNappymeNow. Between this site and hers, I had a great resource of information to help me through my first years of being natural.

2. Thanks Miss T thanked for this post
    Likes Miss T, KnottyAuthor, Vanna liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back!

May I ask what sparked that you are ready for a new routine? Don't want to be nosy, just interested if the routine was working.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there! Good to "see" you!
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi masoesa and LBellatrix,

Thanks for the replies!

What ended up happening was my hair has become very dry. This could be due to my thyroid issue, which can cause hair loss and dryness, but really, I think its because I didn't protect my ends nor did I add and retain moisture to my hair.

After seven years of being fully natural and 99% heat free (I flat ironed once to see how long may hair was), I had no length retention what so ever. I did cut my hair a few times along the way, but not enough to account for the lack of length and patchy/thinned out areas. I also made the bad mistake of raking through my hair with a Denman brush every time I styled.

I thought by going bohemian like, I would help the health of my scalp, which seemed to get really bad build up with oil usage, but that did not work out. Even when I wasn't using oils, I still had bad sebum build up. So I used refined coconut oil on my scalp when needed. The scent of unrefined is too much for my sinuses.

The only sure way for me to get the layer of dandruff?sebum? whatever the hell it is off my scalp is to scritch it off (remove it with a comb the old fashioned way).

I discovered Henna two years ago, hoping it would help me with giving strength to my hair, and it has, but because I still wasn't getting the whole moisture scene, my hair was dry! My most recent discovery (translate into my most recent fall off the product junky wagon are the butters. I told myself years ago to try them ,but no, no, I didn't want to be a product junky anymore...

To answer the question, I am looking for a new routine because the one I was using didn't work out so great. I gave it four years and have evidence that my hair did not thrive under those conditions/the regimen i was using.

After researching on you tube and on line, I came across methods such as the Green House Effect and L.O.C. (Liquid, Oil, Cream). I am interested in trying these out and hope to see my hair do better in terms of moisture retention. This is the one thing I haven't mastered yet! I also want to work on keeping my scalp free of build up. This is also something I have really been struggling with.