Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Member Here and I need Serious Help With my Hair!

Hello Nappturality! I am a 22 year old college student about to graduate and I have serious hair issues. As we know, most college students don't have a lot of cash and school is the main priority. Anyway, I've been natural for 6 years and get this, my hair has not grown to where I would want it to be. I have 4c hair on the crown and front part of my hair and more of a 4b/4a texture in the back.

Here's a back story to how my hair used to be before I was a natural. My mom mostly did my hair up until I was in middle school. I think I was about 11/12 when my mom gave me a terrible relaxer and she thought that putting a cap on my head while the relaxer was on it was going to make it better... I was a kid so obviously I didn't know better and when it was rinsed out, my edges were basically singed off and I have no idea if this incident has affect how my hair is and my scalp. Luckily, I didn't lose any other hair than that. I don't have edges such as baby hair anymore, but some hair did grow back in that area. Now, fast forward to now.

Now, my hair is less than shoulder length still after these 6 years. I don't manipulate much and I've worn my hair in mostly braids throughout high school and college. Every time I would wash, condition, co-wash, or even deep condition and letting it air dry with oils on my hair and scalp to prevent it from flaking, it still get very dry and flaky every time. Today, I tried to braid my hair in box braids and I have failed again to do so since it looked terrible to me and it's been about 6 months since I've done box braids since I haven't had much time to do it. For the past 6 months, I would wear it in a puff or spend 2-3 hours twisting it then taking it down a couple of days later b/c it would look like crap (all over the place though I tie my hair down every night). I have also been on birth control pills for 6 years as well, but I've mostly heard that it can promote hair growth.. but idk. It's just really frustrating and idk what to do with my hair anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks Nappturality community!

Oh yes, and to add more info, I do trim it about every 3-4 months.
    Last edited by Loveiskind; 08-22-2014 at 12:24 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm I noticed you said something about dry scalp.. Do you have any known skin diseases or anything ? I ask b/c I have seborrheic dermatitis and it causes my scalp to flake ..Also you may need to moisturize more. Are you taking care of your hair while it's in the box braids?

I think I was watching one of Naptural85's older videos on YT and she was saying if you spend like 100$ on a few oils, butters & such it should last you like a year.. She makes her own oils, gels and things for her hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brownsugar87 View Post
    Ummm I noticed you said something about dry scalp.. Do you have any known skin diseases or anything ? I ask b/c I have seborrheic dermatitis and it causes my scalp to flake ..Also you may need to moisturize more. Are you taking care of your hair while it's in the box braids?

I think I was watching one of Naptural85's older videos on YT and she was saying if you spend like 100$ on a few oils, butters & such it should last you like a year.. She makes her own oils, gels and things for her hair.
    I have no idea if I have a scalp condition or not. Can't really go to a dermatologist b/c I can't afford it at the moment. I can't really afford anything until I am done with school and honestly, spending $100 on hair products just seems crazy to me compared with the stuff I need to focus on... It sucks... I just want a staple of a few simple products that can help my hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I understand.. Well I found a shampoo that's OTC that helps w/my flakes from the 1st wash.. It's the T Gel. I think it's like 8$ I do understand though .. It's a lot of money trying to find the right product.. Definitely try to focus on moisturizing more. Between this site & YT you should find some really good info.