Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can my Locs Be Saved or Should We Part Way??

Should I Cut My Locs? Advice please!!
    Hi there! I've got a question about my locs. I went to My previous stylist for regular loc maintenance about 4 months ago and she told me she wanted to prune my locs. When she was done they felt limp and it was obvious that she cut too much into them.

Ever since then I've been losing locs.. Not from the root, but from the middle sort of. Like weak spots and when I wash my hair it happens to more of them. So far I've lost 4 locs and I'm about to lose 5 more.

I went to a different loctician and she it's normal and that it happens to locs and that I would need to visit a professional regularly. She "knotted" them where the loc was weak.. Well that hasn't worked out either, they are still getting thinner or falling out

My question is should I just cut my locs and start over b/c my hair doesn't feel healthy? Or is the 2nd loctician right about me not having to cut them ( I just assumed she was trying to get a new client)

I posted in the newbie section and only got one response.. What would you do?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. I hope the loc gurus come in, of which I don't consider myself one...

I don't have much experience with pruning. but i'm not sure how knotting them will help. I don't think those areas that are thinning are going to thicken back up, though, since those parts of hair have been cut away.

I have had to repair a couple of my locs, and I added human hair to do this, and I took a small crochet hook and nappy hair pack and meshed and twisted the human hair into a loc extension, then I used the crochet hook to mesh the hairs of my extra short-loc-nub into the loc extension. After a couple washings, I still found the spot where the extension joins in with my hair to be weak. I took a regular needle and thread that matched and blended with my hair color and actually sewed one of them in with a couple stitches. That one has been the one to stand up the best through the past 6+ months.

All of that to say that maybe sewing the fallen locs back in place would be an option for you? Or a loc extension? It could work if it's just a few here or there, if you don't want to cut. If you get the right colors, you won't be able to distinguish which ones are the repaired ones.

another option would be to cut them into a shorter style, to get rid of the thinning weak points, if they are in the middle, and the parts closer to the roots are more healthy.

Just a few options on the table for you. Maybe others will have better suggestions. I just did not want to leave you hanging.

Also, I'd definitely youtube how to draw the loose strands around the loc into the loc with a small crochet hook. I can't describe how to do it, but youtube can show you. I have extremely loose-frizzy hairs and have had a lot of locs that would seem to "need pruning", and it really really helps to crochet the fuzzies into the loc. As you can see, those strands are holding your loc together, and cutting them could jeopardize the integrity of your locs and make them weaker. Crocheting those loose hairs back into the loc doesn't have that effect, and once you get the hang of it, looks every bit as neat.
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 08-22-2014 at 03:34 AM.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your response .. That would be great. I'm just nervous that it'll happen to more.. I want to see another loctician I just don't want them to tell me anything

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another option is to get some 100% human hair, wrap the hair around the lock and secure it with a latch pattern to strengthen ( or until it strengthens). I would go to an experienced loctician to have this done-but, yes, it can be done. Let us know how it goes! The best!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default should i cut my locks/can they be saved

Thanks! If you happen to come across one in the dc area please let me know
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    Another option is to get some 100% human hair, wrap the hair around the lock and secure it with a latch pattern to strengthen ( or until it strengthens). I would go to an experienced loctician to have this done-but, yes, it can be done. Let us know how it goes! The best!
    Quote Originally Posted by coalblacklocs View Post
    Hello

I responded to your other thread. I'm not sure how old your locs are and how far along you are, but I don't think you have to cut them all the way off, maybe just a bit shorter, to get rid of the weak spots.

I made a couple other suggestions in your other thread.
    Mine are shoulder length so not that long
    Last edited by Miss T; 08-26-2014 at 12:42 AM. Reason: duplicate posts

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7. Likes Squiggly liked this post