Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Is big hair ok for work?

Hi all!

It's unfortunate that I even have to question this but do you think big hair is work appropriate? I've worn my natural hair for years but it's usually in a sleek puff. Now I'm trying a new protective style for the fall and it's voluminous and curly but neat (think bantu knot out or twist out on thick hair.) There are women that also wear the long twists and braids and other natural styles. Thoughts? Thanks yall!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's always ok until it's not. In other words, if you wear your hair that way and nobody complains, go for it. You're not going to know until you try it.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

3. Likes Kalipha Reign, Claire76 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, it depends on you. Personally, I'm conservative as all get out mon-fri, Probably 90% of the time. I might let my bohemian-inner-child come out 1-2 times a month. Personally, I'm not comfortable when my hair is out and big (but I like to see others'). When my hair was loose, I did the big fro when I was expressing my 'I don't give a crap attitude that day.'

Usually, my hair (be it locked or loose) is 'contained' just because I feel too much energy leave me when it's 'OUT' and I can't focus. So, I agree with KLG; but, I also think it highly depends on your comfort level. You will have to test it out to see .

I'm in a hospital
    setting on the business side of translational research for my 9-5. Before that, pharmaceuticals. So, I am pretty blue chip/corporate (if that helps). Make it work for you and your lifestyle.
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 09-09-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm back in IT, at what is possibly the least-corporate corporation I've ever worked in. Folks (mostly younger men) are walking around in T-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, etc. I'm not the only natural, but I'm the only natural who isn't wearing a tidy little 'fro.

I interviewed with my hair in a puff and showed up on the first day of work with it out. With a few exceptions, I've worn it loose and out ever since, and no one has said boo to me. My 'fro isn't anywhere near, say, Taren Guy-levels of big, but that has a lot to do with shrinkage caused by humidity. If I wanted to, I could easily take it out a couple of inches more, but I won't, even though I'd probably get away with it.

Like KLG says, it's okay until it's not. And by the way...I'm mostly-4b, which means I'm a NAPPY natural. Been that way for nearly 19 years, just over half of that spent in corporate, and have never had an issue.

Also...welcome to NP.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

6. Likes Claire76 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you have a dress code that is expressly against long/loose/big hair, go for it!
    AKA: fuzzy_slippers

Still Nappy. Still Happy, ya'll!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think there should be any problem with long hair on work.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is big hair ok for work?

I'd also say go for it. It depends on your personal style combined with the company dress code as well as the departmental dress code.

I'd advise that you don't wear anything that has you in apologetic mode. Often giving off apologetic/distracted vibes is what makes it seem inappropriate rather than the style itself.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends upon the type of job/industry. Industries dealing with food, health, and/or professions where hair can be a hazard, I'd cover or wear sleek. Art/Music industries... I'd go wild, creatively. Anything in between... do you, unless there's a stipulation that you can't.

11. Likes Mikalia42 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any hairstyle that does not interfere with the effectiveness of your ability to do your job should be ok. That said, so many people are intimidated by the 'fro and in some conservative workspaces they discourage individuality and enforce conforming. I wear my hair anyway I want but I realize that's not practical for everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the answers in this thread, ladies!Even beyond where you work, I think your comfort with big hair in the workplace depends on you. Good luck!
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *