Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lock Problems-Hi this is my second account

I was formally under the username Tee Tee S. I signed up using facebook originally. For some reason after the first visit I was not able to log in or post anything. I'm not sure why I hope it doesnt happen again.

Anywhoo I am a first time loc wearer. I have one daughter currently who is in middle school. I am currently a returning college student and I am going to school full time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant seem to post this anywhere else,maybe because I haven't made 5 posts yet? IDK but I have a question regarding my locs.
    My first loctitian was great she got my hair growing fast. I had some initial breakage in the back of my hair but that's unfortunately normal. I'm guessing its the way I sleep or so I've been told.
    But I went to a new stylist at the end of June of this year and ever since last month I have had multiple dread fall/come out.

Then when I did the ACV and BS washes I noticed that I have a lot of white streaks in my hair that were not there before.

Right now I would say that about 75% of my hair in the back has no locs at all. I feel like crying any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back to NP! I'm hurt to the heart to hear you are so sad about your locs.

Anybody have any know-how about this situation? Please chime in.
    AKA: fuzzy_slippers

Still Nappy. Still Happy, ya'll!

4. Thanks Tee Tee Swa thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Squiggly!

I think I will wait until I get some clips to try and re loc the back but any help would still be appreciated

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe in BS..some do. Bottom line for me is-it's a powder, can easily get stuck in your locks. Think of kool-aid left out on counter. Water will evaporate, sugar/koolaid powder will stay stuck at bottom of glass. The bands are most likely the BS getting trapped. Soak/soak/soak your locks. Why your locks are falling out is a symptom of something going on inside. Please see an internal med Dr., then maybe a Derm. for bloodwork-up.

If you feel all is well, consider realigning your tightening techniques. Maybe it's too frequently/tight/too much tension/all of the above and needs to be modified. It's hard to tell since we don't know your lifestyle/habits and it's dangerous to guess without knowing you have a clean bill of health.

I hope all is well, let us know how things work out!

7. Thanks Tee Tee Swa thanked for this post
    Likes Squiggly liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Ive been busy!

I had a issue with fibroids but my last tests came back all clear... so I'm not sure if some of my issues were due to the hormonal imbalance?
    I usually get my hair retwisted about once a month now all though they have been freeforming lately bc I am short on funds.
    I have been drinking water daily for about a year now. Other that water I will drink green tea or an occasional soda or juice.
    I do moderate exercise throughout the week mostly walking.
    I noticed the white streaks in my hair before the bs treatment, I have not done the bs since but I think I will keep doing the ACV rinse.
    The last hairdresser I went to gave me a protein treatment not sure what kind but it smelled fruity ? Idk but not too long after that is when I noticed the streaks

But even though the dreads fell out the hair is still growing in that area so I'm now not sure if I should get clips and retwist it? Also Im not sure if maybe my locs were twisted in two different directions between the two hairdressers?

Sorry I didn't add these details sooner and I hope y'all can assist many many many thanks in advance!!

9. Likes Squiggly, KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a little bit confused about what you mean by "fell out". Are you saying that they like, broke off in your hand/ fell off onto the floor, or somesuch? Or are you saying "came out" as in, unraveling, hence leaving unraveled loose hair at your nape?

If it broke off: Had the hair been processed? Like, was it relaxed or color treated or anything like that before you began your locs?

the white streaks could have been from the protein treatment. do you know what ingredients were in the products she used? It's good to stick to water soluble products as much as possible, and unfortunately many locticians do not follow this general guideline. If it doesn't break down in water, it is going to be difficult to wash out of your locs.

I would maybe try some type of clarifying or anti-residue shampoo to see if that helps. Some will suggest dawn soap, that helps sometimes too. I"ve personally had the best results with neutragena anti-residue shampoo, but opinions and suggestions will differ.

You can always try doing your own, I'm a big fan of diy. i've had the best results with doing my own locs after I invested in a cheap door mirror and put it up in a spot adjacent to the bathroom medicine cabinet mirror, so that I can move the door on each the medicine cabinet and the bathroom door in different angles in order to be able to see the back of my head, hands-free. This is a very important part for me to do my own locs. In fact, last weekend, we went on a vacation, and I needed to do my locs, and i sincerely struggled because I had taken my bathroom mirrors for granted and forgotten to factor enough mirrors in as a necessity for doing my locs while away. I muddled through though.

Extra hands also help. YOu mention a daughter, maybe she can help you get the spots that you can't reach? If she's into hair stuff?

Oh, and also, yes it's very important to make sure that the locs are continually twisted in the same direction, or else the twisting from a previous tighten can be undone.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!

11. Thanks Tee Tee Swa thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My locs were very weak in the back and when ever my bag strap, for example, got caught on them, they would easily get pulled out. Also when I would wake up in the morning I would notice a lock or two on my pillow.

So right now the hair in the back continues to grow its just not loc'd within certain spots in the back there are a few locs that are holding on, so I can cover it. It just looks like I have new growth that needs to be retwisted. (Now I may be paranoid because to me it looks baldish, but no one has yet to tell me this except that I look like I have tons of new growth in the back.)

I wasn't really able to see what the name of the protein treatment that the stylist used. I had blind faith because she had done someone elses hair with great results. The only thing I remember is that it felt creamy and smelled fruity.

I dont have the funds to get a clarifying shampoo, thats why I initially tried the baking soda. I do have dawn so I was gonna try that next with ACV afterwards.

I only have Jamacian Mango and Lime oil right now but I plan on getting Jojoba oil and tea tree oil with some kind of essential oil, maybe like a mint or citrus smell, becaause my hair really likes jojoba and tea tree oil right now.

I think I will try to do my next retwist myself I just dont have a very good method of seeing the back locs right now. I know I will have to get some clips for the strands in the back because they are approx. 1-3 inches long at the moment. the end results will be baby locs surrounded by a ring of mature locs in the back lol.

I heard about flaxseed gel and plus its easy to make, I was gonna use it to retwist my locs. Has anyone ever tried/heard of it before?

Thanks in advance!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i definitely know alllllllll about not having the funds to do stuff. Dawn should help break down whatever the loctitian put in your hair. I don't believe I paid over $5 at the drug store for the neutragena anti-residue shampoo (or else I wouldn't have bought it). That could be an option for later if the funds become available. Most things like suave clarifying shampoo is only like, a dollar or two.

Also, as for the mirror option, I got a door mirror for like, $6 at Walmart. Then the little cheap thingies to put it on the door was only a couple of dollars. Again, all of that doesn't have to happen all at once, but just knowing that it doesn't cost that much and putting it as a future thing when funds come available helps a lot.

But for the most important thing, if your hair is falling out like that,I don't think it has anything to do with the locs. I think you really need to look into checking with a doctor to see what might be going on in your body to make your hair fall out like that.

Hope you find some answers! I think there is a recipe area around here somewhere with the flax seed gel recipe.
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 10-04-2014 at 03:38 PM.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding locks on your pillow is not normal …it's always a symptom of an internal issue-or external care.

If I had a vote, I would vote for you to start your journey over, after you empower yourself with just basic lock care knowledge first-so you could have a strong foundation for your journey. Get your health checked out, get the knowledge and stay in control of your journey. If you want your hair cared for, that's fine, just be able to know and articulate what YOU want and do not want.

This is the best guidance I can jump in to give because there are multiple issues going on and the journey really should be a simple one.

I hope you get to the root of it all and find what works best for you. Empower yourself…
    You can have a successful journey, once you get a handle on all of these issues. If you can afford some herbal tea, you can condition your locks well enough. However, I agree with CBL, get a handle on the source-especially b/f winter begins which brings a whole 'bother level of issues (dryness etc) that may exacerbate problems.

tip…You may want to stay away from Mango&Lime, you can google and find multiple accounts of build up in locks from it.

Keep us posted!
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 10-04-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast