Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I think they're just being overly cautious. 1. They don't want anyone else sick and 2. If someone does become sick, that's bad PR.

As to your specific examples..,

If there is a cut, scratch, or other minor abrasion on your neck, and that part of your neck comes into contact with a part of your gloves or suit that is contaminated...that's a transmission vector.

If the guy is sitting out in the open in the waiting room, there's a chance that he's sweated on a lot of things - the chairs, the doorknob, the pen he used to sign in, the magazines, the water fountain, etc. - that other people might come in to direct contact with. The sweat probably is no longer a factor after it dries, but I'd imagine it could be a concern. If he had vomited, there's a chance that small droplets could land on nearby neighbors or furniture. And let's not even talk about the restroom.

Even with all of that, when the teams go out to try to track the spread of the virus, they've found that it's usually the family members, friends, nurses that have spent the most time in close contact, caring for the patient that have the most danger of infection. Not the people who just happen to be in the same area as the person. If Ebola were truly airborne we'd be seeing much, much higher numbers of infection.

Most credible things that I've read about Ebola being airborne seem to reflect the general tone of that article. Mainly, that while Ebola is not now airborne, in theory it could mutate to an airborne form. In theory.

In theory, many viruses could mutate to an airborne form. Imagine how scary it would be if...HIV/AIDS was airborne. It's not, though, y'know? Scientists have been eager to emphasize that they've never seen human viruses change their transmission form, and they don't expect for that to change in this case.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do You Trust the CDC about Ebola?

I love that I can come here and have a conversation about this!
    I have tried to at work ( I work in a hospital); but 'we' are so concerned about PR etc...it's difficult to get a non - rehersed answer from the experts that are speaking. They just quote what the govt is saying without deviation.

I admit I am a germaphone. I admit I am a cynic. I am voraciously reading everything I can and dig deeper.

Thanks for your take on it! It is refreshing!
    Am I convinced there's not more to it? Nah, we are building the plane as we go, learning on the fly. I do wish the media would stop talking in absolutes when nothing about biology is static. They've gotten better since the TX hospital apologized - but we have a long way to go. And, life continues to teach me - to keep living, watch and learn. I hope you're right for sure!

Can't wait for us to get to the conclusion of all of this!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you mean about how nice it is to have a serious discussion about this. The answer to "What if Ebola is airborne?" in my circle is "Well, I guess we're f-----." Lol.

Another aspect of this situation that I find interesting is the arguments against an outright ban on travel. The thinking is that at least if they take proper precautions and no one travels when they are symptomatic, the risk to the general public is minimum. Then if it turns out that this person does have Ebola, the authorities will be better able to contact any people that have come in contact with the patient to monitor them and get them help if they do have it.

If there's a blanket ban in place, the concern is that people will seek underground options to enter the country. They'll be traveling/coming in contact with people who are unknown to them and un-trackable by the authorities. Then you have to ask...Will undocumented poor people (which is often the case) who don't know that they've been exposed to the virus be less willing to use the ER as their first option? And once they finally do get around to seeing the doctor, will it be too late?

There's also this interesting ethical dilemma with regards to "the greater good" vs "the personal good" that I could potentially see happening. Just a few minutes ago, I read about a doctor who has presented in NYC with the virus. He says that he was asymptomatic on the way to the US, so I'm not saying that this happened in his case, but it did make me wonder...

If I had come into contact somehow with Ebola while abroad and had reason to believe that it might have infected me, wouldn't I want to get to the US as soon as possible for treatment? It's one thing if you're showing symptoms, then I would definitely alert the proper people. If I didn't have any symptoms at all (and therefore not contagious), it would be a hard decision to volunteer myself for quarantine in a country with substandard care.
    Last edited by skittles04; 10-24-2014 at 02:45 PM.

4. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the nurse who was quarantined in New Jersey after returning from treating Ebola patients in west Africa has pitched a fit and now gets to go home.

I'm feeling some kind of way about this. Considering the 4 (?) known cases of Ebola that we've had in the US and how in 2 (?) of them the victims thought they were fine, I think it is a proper precaution for ALL persons who have treated Ebola patients to remain in isolation for the 21 day incubation period before they are allowed to enter the general public. We are still learning about this disease, but one of the things we DO know is that if you have contracted it, you may not show symptoms for 21 days.

And to be honest, I'm sure that if this nurse looked like me and pitched a fit, she would have been ignored and forced to stay isolated. Which, IMO, would have been the correct thing to do, but still...
    Last edited by MommieDearest; 10-27-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    ~Love the hair you have~

6. Likes KnottyAuthor, ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Stuff Skitt…I feel you on all-a-dat. They shut this stuff DOWN in Nigeria bc the Nigerian-Sister-Doctor quarantined the staff and herself. She's now deceased and honored for her sacrifice in that country. It's usually part of proper protocol with infectious disease control, and highly suggested practice. Balancing that with American politics is the issue for sure as presented by MD. I've been reading Medical Apartheid by Harriet Washington. She points out how we as a people in America have been jailed in the recent past for TB infections! Imprisoned! Just to isolate the pathogen and stop the spread (and many times in history we have been imprisoned for not taking medical care etc…) …so I'm apt to believe, just like 'Stand Your Ground' these are rights that pertain to privilege and not constitutionally applied to all. Not shocking to us at all.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sentiments exactly. Good ole white privilege for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MommieDearest View Post
    And to be honest, I'm sure that if this nurse looked like me and pitched a fit, she would have been ignored and forced to stay isolated. Which, IMO, would have been the correct thing to do, but still...
    "The backlash against bone-straight hair can't come quickly enough: I like my hair with its Afro personality intact." --Hannah Pool, journalist

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123