Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Sulfate-free shampoos that address dandruff : Your best recommendations

I am looking for a sulfate-free shampoo that will treat dandruff. I'd like to find something I could buy in in a store, but online-only suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks for your input.
    Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.
    - George Bernard Shaw

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
    - William Shakespeare

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without victims.
    - Harriet Woods

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sulfate-free shampoos that address dandruff : Your best recommendations

I like Dr. Bronners All Natural Shampoo. It has some good stuff in it but if you want something stronger. you can add some oils to it such as tea tree and peppermint. I also suggest giving yourself a warm coconut oil scalp treatment. before washing to help out, if the dandruff is severe. Just warm it up and leave it on for 30 mins or so, then wash as normal.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sulfate-free shampoos that address dandruff : Your best recommendations

I like Aubrey's Naturals. I know a few that use Selsun Blue(has sulfates) with success. If you have dermititis, you may find you need to keep using SLS/SLES.

Adding a couple of drops of tea tree oil or neem oil to the shampoo may help.

Because dandruff is usually a sign of an internal issue, moderate your intake of friend foods, drink plenty of water (half your body weight) and increase those fiber rich plants/fruits/grains.

Soak your head in a basin of hot water with some organic aloe vera gel will also do wonders. I put a cup of AVG in the sink and layback for 30min a few times a month. It's made a major difference for me and my scalp issues.
    ..just a few tips.

Keep us posted!
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 01-13-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions, fellow nappturals. I'm afraid to use Dr. Bonner's , since it is not recommended for color-treated hair. I use henna and indigo, but those roots show much too soon for me as it is. I never thought about soaking my head in the AVG and water, although I do use it as a final rinse. Great ideas about adding oils to what I have. I'm thinking about Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Caster Oil Shampoo, but I keep reading about the drying effects, so maybe adding oils to the shampoo might alleviate the drying factor.
    Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.
    - George Bernard Shaw

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
    - William Shakespeare

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without victims.
    - Harriet Woods

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was reading reviews online for Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo $2.99

Many people said using that helped them. It's sulfate-free and has pretty good ingredients.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Shea Moisture's African Black Soap deep cleansing shampoo. Sometimes I add apple cider vinegar and/or tea tree oil to it, and that really helps my scalp.

7. Thanks Miss T thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat is a great shampoo. It will clear up the build up without stripping your scalp or strands.