Likes Likes:  2
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A few questions from a starter! (Pics included)

hi! i've had my comb coils in for one week now and i have a few questions

1) i have 4c hair... is there a timetable for when i should expect them to loc?

2) my main issue is that my parts are too small! if they lock in the next few weeks, at what point can i start combining them? can they still look symmetrical if so? does it make more sense to combine or take them down

3) how long should i wait before washing? someone told me a month. are there any recommendations for a flaky scalp as well?gg

4) should i apply castor oil along my edges for growth? they're hurting as you can see lol. or will this cause build-up?

5) can i predict what size dreads i'll have from these parts?

thank you!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A few questions from a starter! (Pics included)

Quote Originally Posted by vivireborn@gmail.com View Post
    hi! i've had my comb coils in for one week now and i have a few questions

1) i have 4c hair... is there a timetable for when i should expect them to loc?

There really is not time table; your hair will loc when it's good and ready. TBS, anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. (I'm 4C and it took about 1.5 years.)

2) my main issue is that my parts are too small! if they lock in the next few weeks, at what point can i start combining them? can they still look symmetrical if so? does it make more sense to combine or take them down

Your parts do not look too small to me, but then that's a relative thing. You can start combining anytime within the next 2 years or so, again depending on how long it takes for your hair to loc. From what I see, it doesn't make sense to combine or take them down.

3) how long should i wait before washing? someone told me a month. are there any recommendations for a flaky scalp as well?gg

Tea tree oil (diluted) or I've heard some say witch hazel for an itchy scalp. Wash when your hair needs it. I started with braids so was able to wash the next day. Whatever you do, don't wait forever before cleaning your hair and your scalp.

4) should i apply castor oil along my edges for growth? they're hurting as you can see lol. or will this cause build-up?

Castor oil is the bomb. Love it. I tried it for my edges (they look like yours) and it didn't really make much of a difference, but then I wasn't overly dedicated.

5) can i predict what size dreads i'll have from these parts?

No you can't predict what size dreads you'll have but the rule of thumb is that your locs generally end up being the width of your parts. My hair is fine and thin (also 4C) and my dreads are relatively thin. Not what I was hoping for, but I'm happy with what I have.

thank you!!!!!!

You're welcome!
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

3. Thanks vivireborn@gmail.com thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You!!! I just had a few more qs-- I'm 2 weeks into my now journey and haven't washed yet, but as I've ALWAYS had dandruff, I really want to make sure I have a healthy scalp as I lock. I haven't had itching yet, but I assume it's there.

1) I've heard tea tree oil applied on the scalp is good for dandruff-- but how often should I apply it? Is there anything else that works well and how often should one apply?

2) I've also heard that I can use a stocking cap and regular shampoo -- however, I've also heard that I should NOT use conditioner, as this would hinder locking. Is this true?

3) is retwisting monthly frequent enough for me to have uniform locs?

Thanks again!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vivireborn@gmail.com View Post
    Thank You!!! I just had a few more qs-- I'm 2 weeks into my now journey and haven't washed yet, but as I've ALWAYS had dandruff, I really want to make sure I have a healthy scalp as I lock. I haven't had itching yet, but I assume it's there.

1) I've heard tea tree oil applied on the scalp is good for dandruff-- but how often should I apply it? Is there anything else that works well and how often should one apply?

I really don't know as I've hardly used Tea tree oil. If I were not washing my hair regularly, I would use it whenever my scalp itched, or possibly every 2 to 3 days. I'm totally guessing here. As I mentioned earlier, witch hazel is another alternative; this is something I've never used so take all this with a grain of salt.

2) I've also heard that I can use a stocking cap and regular shampoo -- however, I've also heard that I should NOT use conditioner, as this would hinder locking. Is this true?

Yes a stocking cap comes in handy for washing baby locs, especially when started as comb coils. Conditioner tends to decrease tangles which is the opposite of what you want your hair to do. The more tangled it gets, the quicker it locs.

3) is retwisting monthly frequent enough for me to have uniform locs?

This will depend on your hair. My locs are definitely not uniform, but I'm okay with that. I wasn't good at twisting and used the interloc method for the first few years (after bantu knotting for a few months). I think monthly twisting is good enough; less than monthly could mean you're twisting too much, and cause breakage. Every 4 to 6 weeks, should be good.

Thanks again!
    Please keep in mind everybody's experience is different, and what works for one does not necessarily work for the other. You have to learn and know your hair, and learn and know how much you're willing to put into it.

Keep products to a minimum, try and keep your hands out of your hair and always maintain a clean scalp.

Good luck to you.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

6. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your hair is so cute... do they come out easily after you wash it... I waited like a month before washing mine too... do you wash it with a stocking cap on like one of the other members suggested?
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics