Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How do you know when you are ready to big chop?

After 4 years of natural hair, I relaxed it again back in December (7) of 2014. I don't regret it, because I missed my relaxed hair. Taking care of my natural hair had become tiresome, and I did not enjoy spending 8+ hours on my hair every 2 weeks. My natural hair was full of single strand knots, split ends, and was perpetually dry. My scalp suffered a lot too, because of how dense my hair was. I am now transitioning to natural hair again, and am currently 3 months into my transition. Needless to say, I don't have a lot of new growth. My hair is BSL, but I am so ready to big chop and become natural again! I eventually want to get locs, but I don't know if my hair is long enough just yet. I am going to get box braids next week and attempt to keep them in for 8 weeks before considering doing the big chop, but right now, I am really feeling like I want to do it right now! The only thing that is stopping me is that I have never had short hair in my life. My hair has always been long, and I just don't know how I will look with short hair. Also, I have a lazy eye, and I feel that short hair will really exacerbate my lazy eye. How do you know when you are ready to big chop?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How do you know when you are ready to big chop?

It's different for everyone-the timing, the method of transitioning-all of it. I gradually trimmed my relaxed ends off until all I had was natural hair. It took a year. So, what did you end up doing?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed...everybody's different. I called myself trying to transition but after a Supercuts stylist botched my trim (she was Asian and she kept looking at my hair like she was afraid to touch it) I ended up going to my friend's natural hair stylist and he cut the remaining relaxed hair completely off. I freaked out for about 3 days but then I told myself to suck it up and went to work with my nearly-bald head out for everyone to see. It's still the best hair decision I've ever made.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

4. Likes GiiGii liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I transitioned maybe 2 years, all totaled. Basically, I quit relaxing, and used my hooded dryer to dry it (no more blow drying!) and styled it using curlers. When I got to a point where I was ready for the cut, I did it.