User Tag List

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How do you know when you are ready to big chop?

After 4 years of natural hair, I relaxed it again back in December (7) of 2014. I don't regret it, because I missed my relaxed hair. Taking care of my natural hair had become tiresome, and I did not enjoy spending 8+ hours on my hair every 2 weeks. My natural hair was full of single strand knots, split ends, and was perpetually dry. My scalp suffered a lot too, because of how dense my hair was. I am now transitioning to natural hair again, and am currently 3 months into my transition. Needless to say, I don't have a lot of new growth. My hair is BSL, but I am so ready to big chop and become natural again! I eventually want to get locs, but I don't know if my hair is long enough just yet. I am going to get box braids next week and attempt to keep them in for 8 weeks before considering doing the big chop, but right now, I am really feeling like I want to do it right now! The only thing that is stopping me is that I have never had short hair in my life. My hair has always been long, and I just don't know how I will look with short hair. Also, I have a lazy eye, and I feel that short hair will really exacerbate my lazy eye. How do you know when you are ready to big chop?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How do you know when you are ready to big chop?

It's different for everyone-the timing, the method of transitioning-all of it. I gradually trimmed my relaxed ends off until all I had was natural hair. It took a year. So, what did you end up doing?
    If you aren't learning, then you aren't growin.

cheleski
    Empowerment Zone THEKNOTTYTRUTH.COM
    blogger

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed...everybody's different. I called myself trying to transition but after a Supercuts stylist botched my trim (she was Asian and she kept looking at my hair like she was afraid to touch it) I ended up going to my friend's natural hair stylist and he cut the remaining relaxed hair completely off. I freaked out for about 3 days but then I told myself to suck it up and went to work with my nearly-bald head out for everyone to see. It's still the best hair decision I've ever made.
    For 2016: Still keeping it simple...with an occasional surprise here and there...

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I transitioned maybe 2 years, all totaled. Basically, I quit relaxing, and used my hooded dryer to dry it (no more blow drying!) and styled it using curlers. When I got to a point where I was ready for the cut, I did it.