Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Future of Napptural Hair?

Came back to this thread and... wtf at that FB post!? Were they saying that the white man orchestrated the natural hair movement in order to devalue black women's beauty? As if looking like white women is "forward" and natural afro hair is somehow "backwards."
    Ugh, I should kick myself for even trying to understand that. Can't make sense out of nonsense.

I actually returned here to say this: When you wear your natural hair out, you never know who else may be inspired to do so. I went to work one day wearing an afro puff, and a lady who came through my line gave a compliment and said she had been thinking about going natural (she was tired of the damage from perms). I'd recommended Shea Moisture products to her. Some time later, she came in with a nice TWA and I gave her a smile and a thumbs-up as she passed by. That said, the next time she came in, she'd pressed it out because she said her family gave bad comments about it. I said "uh-oh" and smh but I didn't say anything else 'cause I didn't want to offend her by criticizing her family. She did say she admired how I chose to remain natural. Well, the next time I see her, if she mentions hair, I won't preach, but I'll try to stay encouraging.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeBe View Post
    I find this thread interesting, but being from the UK, much of it is strange to me. Growing up there wasn't the same issues I read about on the forum. During my school days, I only recall seeing one person with relaxed hair, it was described as "cold straightened". I was amazed that there was a way of straightening hair other than a While there were plenty who straightened with a hot comb, I don't recall anyone who never wore their natural texture regularly. The hot comb was for special occasions for most people who used it. Now the good/bad hair thing was alive and well, feeding on our collective psyche. Now I see so many girls with their weave and wigs. There are far more than I saw growing up, who don't wear their natural texture, but there are still plenty who do. I still see it as a fashion accessory same as I always have, but there are more using it than there was. Having a different history from the States, I think we'll always have more of a mix in terms of natural, trying to imitate somewhat real looking and straight out I'm-not-even-pretending-it's-real type ways of wearing hair. DeBen
    Funny that this thread came back up because I just read a UK article (Dazed and Confused mag) that's basically saying the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure what other people will in that year, but I will wear my hair natural and free!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like natural hair products are evolving in stores and i like it.I don't know where it will be in years to come but i hope it keeps evolving.I see natural hair ladies on billboards more on tv in magazines..internet etc.I love it.. i also see more people wearing their hair in its natural state.Men.. women.. non black people too.It's interesting having non black curly hair people come up to me for curl talk.I love it and i have inspired a few of my female relatives to go natural.I will do my part to tell everyone natural hair is very healthy and just the way our hair should be and to love it.I love telling people i use shea moisture too.
    Product Junkie. kinky, thick, frizzy 4c, 12 inch hair .My son is now 5 yrs old.My daughters are natural too.16&12i went natural when my youngest daughter was a year or two years old.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345