Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Locking with relaxed hair

SO I was natural, go frustrated and decided to relax…hated it (burns, extreme dandruff etc) but I cannot deal with my loose natural hair anymore so I've decided to loc with a few inches of new growth and my relaxed ends.

I have looked around and most places suggest cutting off the relaxed ends but nowhere does it explain why the relaxed hair is so bad aside from spiritual stuff which I don't care about. Has anyone else down this or does anyone have concrete reasons why it shouldn't be done??

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soooo, as far as I can see, the main problem with locing straight hair is the frustration aspect of it. There's going to be a lot of unraveling and slipping as you go through the process. Obviously, it can be done, but it's going to require a little more effort on your part.

I would skip right over comb coils and think about either back combing (if you want thicker locs), sisterlocks, or braid locks (probably with a few inches of extensions at the end to keep the braids from unraveling).

My guess is that your permed hair and your natural hair will look different as your locs progress. Idk, though. Look on YouTube or through the blogs and such to see if anyone has done something similar.

3. Thanks AStone thanked for this post
    Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Locking with relaxed hair

I've twisted the hair and tied a knot near the end and so far it's holding up pretty well (helps that my ends are under processed). Not a lot of people have started this way so it's hard to find comparison pics, I don't mind it taking long so long as I don't have to deal with my loose hair ever again (or at least not for the next few years lol)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AStone, there is a person on this board who started her locks with relaxed hair I think. (GAN) I just sent her a message to check this thread. Maybe she will see it soon.
    I agree with either backcombing the hair or interlocking which is what I think GAN did. I have mine interlocked which is good for hair that slips easily.
    Locko

6. Thanks AStone thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are 2 I can think of off the top of my head:
    Himanot
    DelightfulFlame

Oh, yeh, GAN started with relaxed ends with her Sisterlocks..but that album is gone.
    Hopefully she can share some old pics.

Disadv:
    -Str8 hair doesn't blend well with natural hair-but it is possible. Expect a lot of bunching.
    -Relaxed hair is inherently damaged-disulfide bonds/cysteine bonds were broken to make the curl straighten, thus 'relaxed' hair
    -The 2 textures could conflict, resulting in breakage at the line of demarkation, from the junction where stress of the intact bonds meet the broken bonds

Eventually you'll just want the straight ends gone...I've see it done mostly with some type of back-combed lock, latched locked (SLs) or braid locks.
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 07-29-2015 at 12:25 AM.

8. Thanks AStone thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Astone! I did start my sisterlocks with relaxed ends. I really didn't have any issues with it. It suited me at the time because I wanted to keep the length but I also didn't want to deal with loose hair anymore.

When I had the relaxed ends, I had to curl my locs everyday (or at least do a braidout/rollerset and have it last for a few days) so it wouldn't look weird. I loved it! It wasn't until I felt I had enough length that I chopped, which was a year after I got my locs installed. I think the locs have to be so far along before you chop the relaxed ends anyway.

Constantly having to do something to them so the relaxed ends would blend in with the natural hair was the only real con I experienced. I like to just get up and go and not have to do anything but it wasn't like it was hard to do or too time consuming. I just hated if my locs didn't dry all the way overnight and the curls would end up falling. Then I'd have to figure out what do with them.

As for the pictures, mine are long gone. If I ever happen to stumble upon any of them, I'll share them with you though!

I used to think sisterlocks was the only way to go, but the interlocking, braidlocing, and backcombing techniques mentioned by Lockolatte and KnottyAuthor can also be started with relaxed ends. Don't think you have to drop a huge chunk of change on sisterlocks if its something you can do on your own or get done cheaper another way.

If you don't like dealing with lose hair, I think you're headed in the right direction! =)
    Last edited by ~GAN~; 08-02-2015 at 01:58 PM.

10. Thanks AStone thanked for this post
    Likes Lockolatte, AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ladies, I decided to redo them via backcombing and maintain with palm rolling/finger crocheting. They are sooo short now lol but that's a good thing as they don't have far to shrink.

It feels good

12. Likes ~GAN~, Lockolatte liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update for anyone thinking of doing this:

So far the only real con has been small tendrils of hair at the ends. I've had to snip a few but now I just ignore them and wrap them around the lock to keep things neat, it only gets messy during wash day anyway.

The pros of starting with longer hair is that my locs can already tie a small ponytail, I'm not sure if they will shrink more in the coming months to be honest. I usually wear my hair underneath a scarf or hat and the few times it's out I curl them to make them look neater.

Depending on how they look once they mature later on I may leave the relaxed hair as is or cut them. I'm looking forward to the 6 month mark to really get an idea of how things are moving but so far it's been great.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sssssoooo I BC'ed, guess I'll be starting over.

15. Likes Lockolatte liked this post