Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New and desperate

Glad i found this forum. So backstory. I was adopted (amazing white family) and not taught how to care for my hair. I started relaxing my hair because i had kinky roots and straight ends. I had no idea what else to do and still dont. I have no idea what kind of hair i have. I shaved my head bald 5 weeks ago and started fresh.
    I now have about 1/2" of hair and its starting to straighten at the ends. My routine is wash and deep condition every 2 weeks. Deep condition with homemade deep conditioner with olive oil and avocado. I then use vitamin e on my scalp because it's extremely unhealthy.
    As for protection I keep a satin bonnet on and put a wig over that.
    Getting products is impossible( i live in Wyoming). Thr growth Ive seen is amazing but any help i can get as far as health would be great.
    Last edited by Lululucky; 11-24-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New and desperate

Can you share what your hair goal is?

In meantime,
    Jojoba is great for the scalp and drink LOTS of water and eat lots of fruits and veggies.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey thanks for your response. I definitely dont drink enough water. I do eat mostly fruits and vegetables and stick to sports drinks so I'll have to work on that.
    My hair goal is more about health becuase I've never had growth issues for whatever reason. I would dye and perm my hair every month or so, never used much oil and didnt even own a wrap or bonnet and still it grew like crazy. I just want healthy hair growing in. I've never actually put work into my hair that i should've been.

4. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lululucky...welcome to NP.

I'm not sure where you are in WY but I'm guessing UPS/the Post Office can reach you? If so, you have access to pretty much anything anybody else in the continental US has in terms of products, tools, etc.

You say you don't know what your texture is...well, the only way you'll find out is to do as little to it as possible. Just keep it clean and moisturized and don't worry about doing any styles for a while yet. Keep in mind that as your hair grows, it will behave differently, so don't be surprised if what worked at 1 inch stops working at 3 inches, what worked at 3 inches stops working at 6 inches, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of wigs and if you only have half an inch of hair then there's not a whole lot to "protect." Fresh air is best IMO...but if you're shy about rocking the baldie, do whatever works for you.

Mainly, don't overthink it. Keep up the rest of your health (water, fruits and veggies, etc.) and you'll be fine.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

6. Thanks KnottyAuthor thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post