Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mixed Messages About Detangling Hair for Men

Hello All,
    So I've been wearing my hair in afro for years but until my sisters started their natural hair journey did I really how horribly I was treating my hair. I would shampoo and condition it every day and then comb it out with a pick and that's it, no oil or anything just dry. Now I use leave-ins and moisturizers and every now and then I spritz my hair with my aloe vera juice + water, and then seal it with olive oil. My hair really likes olive oil. Anyway, my issue is with detangling because I don't really have a detangling routine my hair as all types of little knots and tangles. I liked to wear my hair in the Nudred curly type style, but I feel like that tangles my hair even more, but I love the way my hair looks in that style. I've tried to finger detangle, but it takes soooo long and honestly the whole parting my hair thing is way harder than it seems for someone who's never done it before, my sisters make it look like its super easy but I when I go to do it myself it seems so much more difficult. I tried to use my pick today because I was so frustrated with finger tangling, but I immediately stopped that when I saw how much hair was coming out on my comb. Whenever I see videos on youtube women say don't use afro picks except to lift your hair but on the men's tutorial videos most of them use picks to detangle their hair so I'm a bit confused. Are afro picks ever okay for detangling(I have the Cricket No-Friction Pick)? Is there an easy way to detangle my hair? Does the NuDred tangle other people's hair also? Thanks.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mixed Messages About Detangling Hair for Men

Hi,

-Just coat your hair with conditioner / moisturizer that works for your hair
    -Then separate the hair in 4 quadrants to keep it simple, detangle from end to root (ends of hair to scalp) with a large tooth comb. (not sure your hair is long enough, but section as you can and secure each detangled section as you complete your head
    -Braid/secure detangled hair

#icant with all the YT drama, keep it simple and you should be fine.

If you find you are damaging your hair with your preferred tools/method, then it may not be best for your hair. If your hair is greater than .5 inch, than it will tangle your hair pretty nicely. In fact, it's often used for starter dreds-meaning the point of it is to matt the hair so the locking process can begin.

If you have really short hair, you should be fine.

*opinions/experience may defer-but if you think you are matting/tangling then you are . A chunky look can be achieved with bantu knot-outs are braid outs a lil spritz and hair massage as well.

Keep us posted on what you do!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Detangling is a gender-neutral activity and your natural sisters have it on lock so take advice from them (and us).

Good luck! Also, welcome to NP.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

4. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like LBellatrix said, detangling is gender-neutral. There is something very important that is overlooked a lot. Shed hair. If you are going to detangle successfully, you must remove the shed hair from your head. Shed hairs tangle themselves around the growing hair and cause a lot of grief. I am about to write a method about this but in short, either use a rake to remove the shed hair, or you can use your fingers and pull your hair gently, under running water. the shed hair will migrate to the ends of the hair and come out. Don't be alarmed if you get fist fulls of hair. You won't be pulling hair out of your scalp, just the ones that are already out. You shed an average of 100 hairs every day. If you don't remove them, they add up quickly.

Once the shed hair is removed you will find your hair will not get as tangled anymore and your natural coil/wave pattern will come through.. Do this regularly.

Dee
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~