Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New and in need of help

Hello!

I'm Avalon, a newly natural young woman in need of a bit of help. I big chopped in October of this year after transitioning for 10 months and found out that I have 3c/4a, COURSE, low porosity hair. While I absolutely LOVE it, I have no idea how to reduce the frizz and allow my pattern to show. Any pointers? Thanks in advance!

2. Likes Moderator T liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New and in need of help

I think our hair textures are similar. For me, that texture I have right out of the shower goes as soon as my hair is dry. What I do is co-wash and then use an emollient pomade* to seal it and then twist it. I always co-wash because my hair gets dry quickly and shampooing will just dry it out. The exception is when it's Aphogee protein treatment time.

Twists give me messy but looser wave texture. It's about as close as I can get.

*I now use the Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream. I used to use the Aveda Humectant Pomade, but that was when I lived abroad in South Korea and black hair care products were much harder to find.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

4. Thanks Moderator T thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New and in need of help

I have the same type hair but mine is fine-stranded. Make sure you get all the shed hairs out whenever you wash/condition your hair. Shed hair gets tangled up in the growing hair and stops your natural texture from shining through. Also a nice cool rinse after conditioning closes the cuticle and smooths your hair out naturally.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU. As long as you are constantly striving to get what someone else has naturally, you will not be able to recognize the beauty in what you already have."
    ~Dee~

6. Likes Scribetastic liked this post