Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Homemade Recipes: List Them Here

I thought it would be nice to have one thread just for recipes.... that when we are looking for something we can just keep track of one thread instead of searching the whole site.... I will start it off with some I have used and some I have found on the internet and here of course...

All Natural Shampoo
    Churn the following ingredients in a blender:
    1 oz. Olive oil
    1 egg
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar.

Use as you would a regular shampoo.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Avocado and Mayo Conditioner
    1 cup of real mayonnaise (NOT low-fat)
    1 ripe avacado

Cut avacado in half, remove pit, and scoop out the flesh of the fruit. Mash well with a fork. Add real mayonnaise and combine thoroughly.

Work the mixture into your hair, paying particular attention to the ends (which tend to be more damaged). You can just use this mixture on your ends, if you prefer, especially if hair tends to be oily.

Cover head with plastic wrap, and then wrap a warmed damp towel over the plastic wrap. Let the mixture sit on your hair for 15-20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Black Tea and Sage Hair Rinse
    For naturally darkening greying hair.

3 T. black tea
    3 T. sage
    1 teapot freshly boiled water

Steep black tea and sage in water. Allow to cool and use as a hair rinse, pouring the tea repeatedly over the hair. Rinse with tepid water.
    Brittle Hair Treatment
    1/2 C Mayonnaise
    Shampoo -- few drops
    Lukewarm water

** For conditioning dry, brittle hair. Mix mayo with shampoo add enough lukewarm water to mix. Apply to hair after a regular shampoo. Leave on
    10 minutes and then shampoo out.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chamomile Shampoo
    Make herbal infusion by pouring 4 cups boiling water over 5 tablespoons of chamomile flowers. Cover and steep 30 minutes. Strain and add 4 ounces castile soap flakes. Makes 1 quart of shampoo.

Deep Cleansing Treatment for Hair
    If your hair gets a greenish tint From Pool chemicals and chlorine often in your pool, this usually is a reaction between the copper water pipes and chlorine in the pool, use the following recipe to restore your natural color!

2 Tbsp baking soda
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp mild shampoo

Thoroughly mix all ingredients. Wet hair and massage with mixture; making sure all the ends are coated. Cover head with a plastic bag or shower cap, and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse, and shampoo as usual!

Easy Egg Shampoo

1 large egg, separated
    3 Tbsp Clear shampoo: castile OR -- baby shampoo

** Leaves hair protein-enriched and squeaky clean.

In a small bowl, beat egg white until foamy and soft but not stiff. Gently blend in yolk followed by the shampoo. Transfer mixture to a plastic cup.

Wet hair with warm but not hot water. Massage half the egg shampoo into scalp. It will not suds much. Rinse well and repeat. This time it will suds a lot. Leave the second application on hair 1 min, no more, before thoroughly rinsing.
    Egg & Olive Oil Hair Conditioner
    Submitted by Aunty B

1 egg yolk
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    3/4 cup lukewarm water

Beat the egg yolk until it's thick and white. Add the oil and mix together real well. Then add the water into the egg mixture and mix well. Put this mixture into a container. After shampooing, massage all of the conditioner into your hair and leave it on for about 15 minutes before thoroughly rinsing it out.
    Frizzy Hair Zapper
    1/2 cup conditioner
    1/4 cup honey
    1 tablespoon almond oil

Mix ingredients, blend well. Pour mmixture over damp hair, work it in....leave on for about 20 minutes for a good deep conditioning. Wash out. This works for all hair types.
    Fruit Smoothie Hair Mask
    Blend 1/2 a banana, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cantaloupe, 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil and 1 tablespoon yogurt. For extra conditioning, squeeze in the contents of a vitamin E capsule. Leave in hair for 15 minutes. Rinse very well with cool water.
    Hair Build-Up Remover Recipe
    1/8 cup vinegar
    1 cup water

Combine. Let sit on your hair for 15 minutes. Rinse and wash your hair as usual.
    Hair Growth Herbal Shampoo
    This shampoo not only helps encourage hair growth, but it also keeps the scalp very clean and healthy and helps prevent dandruff.

2 cups distilled water
    1 cup fresh spearmint
    1 cup fresh rosemary
    1 cup all-natural, gentle baby shampoo
    Essential oil or fragrance oil, your choice, optional (to make it a scented shampoo)

Boil the water with the fresh herbs for about ten minutes, in a glass saucepan (like Visions). Or, you can put in a microwave-safe glass or plastic bowl and heat in the microwave until boiling, and allow to boil for about ten minutes. Then, remove the pot from the stove or bowl from the microwave and cover with a lid and allow to sit and steep for an hour. Strain the liquid through cheesecloth. Mix this with the baby shampoo. Pour into bottles and let set overnight. The next morning you can add some fragrance or essential oil to the shampoo in whatever scent you like the most.

Hair Mousse Recipe
    Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon plain gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. Let sit at room temperature until slightly set. Rub into dry or wet hair, and blow dry. Use as you would normal mousse.
    Herbal Vinegar Rinse
    2 cups of cider vinegar
    2 oz of lavender buds
    1 tablespoon of glycerin
    10 drops of rose geranium essential oil

Heat the vinegar to just below boiling point.Turn off the heat and add the lavender buds. Allow this to age for a week. Strain the lavender out and add the glycerin and rose geranium. Store in the refrigerator. Take 4 ozs of your lavender vinegar and add it to 4 cups of warm water. Use this as your hair rinse.
    Honey Hair Conditioning Treatment
    Mix 1/2 Pure Honey with 1/4 cup olive oil. Use 2 tablespoons for normal to oily hair. Using a small amount at a time, work mixture through hair until coated. Cover hair with a shower cap and leave on 30 minutes. Shampoo well and rinse; dry as usual
    Hot Oil Treatment for Hair
    Submitted by Aunty B

1/2 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup boiling water

Place olive oil and boiling water into large glass bottle or jar with a lid. Be careful not to burn yourself! Shake very well until oil is emulsified. Let cool a little bit so you don't burn yourself with it, then massage it into your hair. Put a shower cap or plastic bag over your hair and wrap your head in a hot towel that has been soaked in hot water then wrung out. Leave mixture on your hair for about 30 minutes, then shampoo.
    Natural Blonde Highlights
    1 cup lemon juice
    3 cups chamomile tea (brewed, & cooled)

Mix ingredients, pour over damp hair then let sit for an hour, wash hair. This is effective in the summer.
    Yogurt and Egg Conditioner
    Combine 1/4 cup whole milk plain yogurt and 1 whole egg in a small bowl. Mix well. Use as you would a regular conditioner - after shampooing, work conditioner well into damaged areas of hair, particularly the ends. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Rinse well with cool water (not hot, you'll cook the egg!!) Hair will feel silkier and healthier.

(taken from here)
    Hebrew 10:23 - Let us hold unswervingly to hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. </span>

My Webpage
    <span style="color:red">ATTENTION: UPDATE: sept 06

Delilah is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried the natural blonde hair recipe?

3. Thanks GiiGii thanked for this post
    Likes GiiGii liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks babygurl, this is a great idea

here is my contribution:

~ The recipes I use ~</span>

MY GLYCERIN SPRITZ
    1/4 liter camomile tea
    1 tsp honey
    2 to 3 tsp glycerine
    2 to 3 tsp of your favorite vegetable oil
    3 to 6 drops essential oil (3 drops rosemary, as a preservative + 3 of your favorite one for smell or just 6 rosemary oil)

put in a spritz and shake well, You can double the proportions of oil & glycerine if you wish, but keep honey low ...
    will last 2 weeks

SHEA MIXTURE &#39;DABOMB&#39; (this is how I call it :lol)
    1 handfull shea butter unrefined
    1 handfull palm oil
    1 tablespoon almond oil (or any vegetable liquid oil)
    3 tsp coconut oil (optional)
    1 tsp almond extract (for fragance)
    watery mixture ( 1 teaspoon water, 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerine, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel lilly of the desert, 10 drops of your favorite preservative essential oil.)

melt butters and oils in a sterilized glass jar (bain marie) in the mean time, mix the watery mixture ingredients in a sterilized glass.
    pour mixture in the jar, close it and shake untill cold and thick.
    Gives a scented creamy textured butter which works great for single twists

HONEY AND PALM TREATMENT

1/3 honey
    1/3 palm oil
    1/3 thick cream

or

1/2 honey
    1/2 palm oil (applied on wet hair if I don&#39;t have cream)

Allow palm oil to melt in a double boiler system (bain-marie), add honey, add thick cream when temperature lessens. Apply to hair. Massage in the hair, slicking and twisting sections of hair untill smooth, leave in 20 to 60 more minutes, rinse and wash as usual. You might use an essential oil but don&#39;t use a heat cap, the smell would be repulsive!

or

Allow palm oil to melt in a double boiler system (bain-marie), add honey, wet your hair and apply mixture to it. Massage in the hair, slicking and twisting sections of hair untill smooth, leave in 20 to 60 more minutes, rinse and wash as usual.

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR RINSES
    I don&#39;t use it often after no poo, only if I feel like it, on the other hand, I do it quite often if I want 2strand twists ot twistout to last a little bit more : I rinse with a 1liter water+1tablespoon acv or I spritz 1tea cup water+1tea spoon acv
    f you wash your hair with soap, you should always use an acv rince to smooth the cuticules.

HONEY SPRITZ

1.5 cups of water
    2 table spoons of olive oil
    4 table spoons of honey

(Well this is the "official" recipe, but I never tried that one, I tried with just 1 teaspoon honey and 1 tablespoon mink oil in 1/2 liter water + 6 drops essential oil (preservative), it works great.)

<span style=\'color:blue\'>GLYCERIN SPRAY

Equal parts of distilled water, glycerin and a few drops of your fave essential oil

OR

1 tablespoon glycerine
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons conditioner
    8 oz. water

OR

1 tsp honey
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    2 tsp glycerine
    8 oz herbal tea
    8 drops rosemary essential oil

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deep conditioner:
    1 banana cut in pieces, 1/2 avocado chopped as well as possible, 1/2 mango, 1Tablespoon honey, squirt in some of your favorite conditioner to make it creamier..
    mix in a blender till smooth, enjoy the rest of the mango and avocado while the mix is in... this usually makes enough for 2 applications for my hair. i put the rest in the fridge and make sure i use it within the week

shampoo(back when i was trying to make a sap moss knock off :-cre ):

liquid castille soap, oat extract, irish moss powder, sea kelp powder, jojoba oil,honey, milk powder
    mix well, really well a little a time like you do when mixing dry ingredients into wet ones when making a cake.

scalp spray (really helped with the itchies when my scalp was irritated)
    distilled water, rosemary eo, lavender eo,

daily hair spray
    distilled water,ylang ylang eo, patchouli eo,sweet orange eo,grapefruit eo,honey, small amount of suave conditioner,glycerin

sorry i dont really have measurements, i just sort of make it up and i go along.. :thumbsup

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a great thread!

Below is the simple BUTTER/POMADE recipe I love and play around with. It&#39;s from nappturality member Narcissaqtpie (and in her words). As she notes, it&#39;s also great on the skin (esp. in winter).

NOTE: I have found that more coconut oil = pomade consistency and less coconut oil = creamy/buttery. You can substitute any fragrance/flavor oil (egyptian musk, banana, apple, etc.) When I use an edible flavor oil (like vanilla), I use it as a lip balm. I like to use jojoba instead of canola.

Originally posted by narcissaqtpie
    BANANA BUTTER

• 7oz Shea butter (Unrefined, straight from Africa)

• 4oz Aloe Vera Gelly (Clear, Fruit of the Earth brand from Target-I used this because it already has preservatives in it)

• 3oz Coconut Oil (this gives it a solid pomade texture)

• 2oz oil of your choice (I&#39;m sure any oil will do but I used Banana flavored oil = Canola oil + banana flavoring)

•OPTIONAL: Drops of your fave EOs if you don’t use a strong flavor oil

First, I melted the Shea butter in a glass bowl set in boiling water. While that was melting I softened the coconut oil in the mic (not all the way to liquid) then I mixed it in a glass bowl with the Aloe gel and Banana oil with a wire wisk. When the Shea was fully melted I poured it in the Aloe/oil mix and broke out the cake mixer. I beat it on medium speed for about two minutes. Then I poured it into an empty plastic container that has an air tight lid. It didn’t solidify overnight so I put it in the fridge for a coupla hours then set it out to get to room temp.

This stuff mixed perftectly into a soft pomadey type butter (it looks sorta like dark yellow butter) and it has a delicious banana scent! It seems like it should be greasy at first touch, but it&#39;s actually very light, probably because I didn’t use much heavy oils-It literally melts right into my skin and hair.
    Frizz (pw=letitgo)
    Crafts (pw=kraft)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by GalaxyGirl2010@Aug 24 2004, 05:46 PM

liquid castille soap, oat extract, irish moss powder, sea kelp powder, jojoba oil,honey, milk powder
    mix well, really well a little a time like you do when mixing dry ingredients into wet ones when making a cake.

GalaxyGirl, I&#39;m interested in your knock-off sapmoss shampoo. How did you like it? Was it like the Aveda brand? I&#39;m really curious...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Autumn@Aug 25 2004, 11:51 PM
    @Curlysaurus
    The banana flavouring, sounds yummy, i might have to give it a go,
    How long will your mix last?
    Does adding food flavouring shorten the shelf life?

I make small batches (I pretty much "half" the recipe), tend to use it all in about 1-2 weeks and haven&#39;t noticed any problem. The Fruit of the Earth aloe gelly has a preservative in it but if you use straight aloe, I believe you could add a natural preservative like vitamin e. HTH!
    Frizz (pw=letitgo)
    Crafts (pw=kraft)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by SunnyDaye+Aug 26 2004, 09:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SunnyDaye @ Aug 26 2004, 09:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GalaxyGirl2010@Aug 24 2004, 05:46 PM

GalaxyGirl, I&#39;m interested in your knock-off sapmoss shampoo. How did you like it? Was it like the Aveda brand? I&#39;m really curious... [/b][/quote]
    i&#39;ve been using it for the past year and a half (except for when i had twist extensions since the shampoo is too thick and doesnt wash out well in the braids). i really like it!

i&#39;ve also used it as a 2 in 1 when i ran out of a conditioner (and 2 weeks till payday ) and it works really well. most of the stuff i added to it are humectants so it works really well with my hair.

as far as comparing it to sap moss, it doesnt smell the same (actually it doesnt really smell like anything since i havent put anything with too much fragrance in), it&#39;s alot thicker than sap moss (probably cus i add too many dry ingredients and not enough castille), and i think i get better results moisture wise..not to mention the fact that its alot cheaper in the long run :razz

Gacela20 Guest

I only have one and it&#39;s nothing fancy, but here goes.

Moisturising Hair Pomade

4oz melted unrefined shea butter
    2oz jojoba oil
    2oz coconut milk
    couple drops of fragrance oil

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whip the mixture thoroughly. Throw into a container and allow to reharden.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a nice thread, hopefully it&#39;ll stay around:-)
    Here&#39;s one from me.........................

Avocado Scalp Smoother
    1 egg
    1/2 avocado, peeled & mashed
    2 T wheat germ oil
    --------------------------
    Process egg in blender til frothy
    Add avocado & oil, blend til smooth
    Use immediately
    Apply paste to scalp & then work out on hair shaft
    Massage along hair shaft
    Cover w/plastic cap
    Leave on 30 min. (or more)

To cleanse hair, rinse w/luke warm water for 5 min.
    Then use mild shampoo -I&#39;m a No &#39;pooer so I don&#39;t do this step
    I add a conditioner of choice to finish the rinse out

I have substituted the wheat germ oil w/1 T olive oil & 1 T castor oil w/good results.
    I LOVE my NAPPZ :) !!

12. Thanks strandatory thanked for this post
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast