Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am new to locing and I am trying to determine what product to retwist my hair with. I noticed a lot of people say dont use beeswax or shea butter because of the build-up they can cause. However, if you read the ingredients of the Mango and Lime gel, it contains both shea butter and beeswax (though I cant remember how close to the beginning they are listed). If the products contain ingredients that will cause the build-up we all want to avoid, would it make sense to use it? Or is it because of the consistency of the gel that make it ok. Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am just trying to get this right. :doh
    "In the end you wont remember the words of your enemies, but the silence on your friends." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Let's not forget Africa

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Najiyah@Aug 23 2005, 10:51 AM
    I am new to locing and I am trying to determine what product to retwist my hair with. I noticed a lot of people say dont use beeswax or shea butter because of the build-up they can cause. However, if you read the ingredients of the Mango and Lime gel, it contains both shea butter and beeswax (though I cant remember how close to the beginning they are listed). If the products contain ingredients that will cause the build-up we all want to avoid, would it make sense to use it? Or is it because of the consistency of the gel that make it ok. Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am just trying to get this right. :doh
    [snapback]970741[/snapback]

My daughter and I used that product and when washed our hair it turned WHITE....lots of build up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a search within this forum on this product. I know that people have had mixed results. Your logic makes sense: if the primary (first 5) ingredients of a product are substances that you would not use in your locs then it would be most prudent to avoid the use of this product.

Remember, locs don't need hair products to loc.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use this product..but, I only use a tad bit..and when I say a tad, I mean a tad. You dont need much at all. If you get a white buildup, you've used too much.

I say use what works for you. Some ppl use and still use beeswax to lock and claim they have no probs..so, again, I say do what works for u...and everything doesnt work for everyone.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the resistant formula doesn't have beeswax but does have shea butter. but it's not one of the first 5 ingredients. I haven't had a problem with build up but I don't use it everytime I retwist either.

and ITA w/ Schiffon, you don't have to use anything to retwist if you dont' want to.
    We have all established that our hair is different....At the end of the day we pride ourselves as being NAPPY! [b]Let this quest for right and wrong go[/b] - RoseBurnt

[url="http://public.fotki.com/melanizm13"]UPDATES[/url]...12/08

Taqwa is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Schiffon@Aug 23 2005, 09:14 AM
    Remember, locs don't need hair products to loc.
    [snapback]970874[/snapback]

ITA

Also, I started out locing a "card-carrying-this-stuff-is-good-how-can-I-get-to-heaven-without-this-product" person
    BUT...as time has moved on (my locs at this time are like children that KNOW what they want and it may not be what YOU want them to have; yet they grow normal and healthy anyway) my locs are at that stage right now..they are just saying NO to products right now..

But I still spray alittle of the hair incense..love it

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love the smell of the locing wax but it was tooo greasy for me. i did my last retwist with a mix of olive oil, aloe vera gel and honey and am very happy... i think that's gonna be it for me.
    Happy Medium

Where dreams are born and legends are made
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree w/ Schiffon and Melanizm - no product does not equal no locking.

More often than not, I retwist without product because I don't like the extra motion of scooping something up before going to each individual loc to retwist. Doing it takes enough time as it is - so I like to keep it as simple and less time consuming as possible.

In the past, I've used an Aveda gel (the name escapes me, but it's in a clear tube with a blue cap) as well as the Aveda Humectant Pomade. Tonight, I'm gonna try using aloe vera gel and see how that works.
    Natural: 1995
    Locking AGAIN 11/2008

View my FOTKI PAGE!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used the lock & twist gel. i agree with the ladies. if you're seeing white stuff, you're probably using too much. after about 4 months of this gel, i switched to aloe vera gel and loved the results.
    locs:12/12/02-9/9/2006, reborn 9/20/07

blog:aquababie's world
    1st locs
    2nd locs

Aquababie Handmade....Crafted from my hands to yours!
    aqua on etsy

NP Approval code 775

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the locing wax and I don't have a problem with build up, as many have mentioned you have to use just enough to do the job. Everyone's hair will react differently, but you will only know if you try it. Good luck!
    Album pw: gold
    Still under construction!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast