Originally posted by Moderator V@Nov 7 2005, 03:18 PM
A continuation from Part IV

Hi there! ^_^

Welcome to Nappturality!

Tell us about you, your hair and how you found the site, we'd love to hear your story.

Thanks and enjoy your stay!
[snapback]1064285[/snapback]

Hey!! I'm Toni, I live in NYC (Brooklyn)and I have
been a lurker for awhile...finally wanted to step out of the shadows and so here I am! I have been natural for quite sometime--let's see, I think my last real chemical fire cream was back in 1988 or 1987. I was then natural for 2 or 3 years, wearing my hair mainly in a low fade (hey...! it was the 80s!). I loc'd in 1990 or so--and remained that way until March, 2005. I did not cut my locs, but instead embarked on the experiment to 'unloc' them--the thing that every said couldn't be done! Well, I did it--though I would not recommend it to anyone. For me it was just part of the journey, I guess. Anyway--I pretty much love everything about my hair--this site--the folks here. All of it! Nappturality covers so much in the discussion boards, the articles, etc. I am always, always checking in. I truly wish I had the time to look over this entire board from it's inception to now! I found this site after first stumbling upon Ini's site. So glad I did!

Being without a chemical fire cream never really bothered me. Though I have some respect for those who feel they must transition first, and who are not yet fully comfortable without a weak chemical fire cream or whatever. The brainwashing (from society and ourselves) was really deep for many, many of us, and even though it wasn't for me, I was no less surrounded by the propaganda that was/is /was designed to make black folk feel inferior in their own skin. I just never thought at the end of the day, about being accepted or dealing with people's attitude, etc. because of my hair. We all get to where we are going eventually. Coming from chemical fire cream bothered everyone else around me, but me. Hex, I only did it because, it's what (like many) I was taught to do, yet I remember being something like 17 or 18 years old and saying to myself that if I ever have a child (female, specifically) I would never straighten her hair. In fact, i WOULD loc it first, let her live with that crown under my roof, and then, when age appropriate--if she wanted to exchange that crown, for another she could. I don't have any children as yet, but the same idea holds true. It has never left me.

Anyway, the state of my napptural is good! And I would tell anyone who is willing to listen to drop in and lurk (then join) on this site to learn a lot, laugh a lot and generally get to know more about their natural (napptural) selves! Thanks for being here, NP!! :wub:

http://public.fotki.com/AFROKARMA/