buffyuna is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im new to having longer hair (about 1.5 inches) and I dont know how to do all these styles that i want to try. I thought that you could achieve these looks by not combing your hair when you come out of the shower but all i came out with were some jacked up beedy b's when it dried. Here are some styles that I'm tryin to achieve can anyone tell me how to do them, or atleast what the name of these styles are so I can search how to do them? thnks

If any of yall know of other styles for men please let me know!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should do a search for men's hair styles, Also search twistouts or braidouts.

I remember reading a previous topic on men's hair and I think someone said that it looked like DL hughley twisted his hair and then took it apart. It looks to be the same for John Legend as well to me.

As far as Michael Ealy goes that just looks like his natural texture to me.

Whats wrong with wearing your hair as is? The whole "jacked up beedy b's" reference isn't welcome around here. That could be a reason why you haven't recieved too many replies.

But if your looking to do a chuncky looking fro try twisting or braids your hair and letting those stay in for at least 15 min - overnight and you get a chunky effect. How long you keep them in and how many sections you make will produce different effects.

After you take a shower you can take them out and lightly finger fluff (if desired) and go

If you don't like it then just wash/rinse it out

Good luck to you and HTH ^_^
    "Don't you let those other boys fool you. Got to love that Afro hairdo." --Corrine Bailey Rae
    Perm free: 6 yrs. 12.13.04
    Transitoned for 1yr and 3 months BC date: 3.16.06

buffyuna is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my bad I didnt mean that they were a bad thing, its just my hair gets hard when ever it beads up and plus it doesnt look like a style it just looks like i have tons and tons of bald spots. Thanks for the tips tho.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair gets really hard when it dries too depending on what I put or don't put in it. There are some things you can do to keep it softer so it does not shrink down so much (beedy b's). Instead of using shampoo to clean your hair try conditioner. Do a search on this site for conditioner wash to find out which conditioners to use because some of them have ingredients that are not good for natural hair (words ending in cone or xane, SD alcohol, etc.). I would also suggest using a moisturizing spray like Sta Sof Fro or a jherri curl spray. Yes I said jherri curl spray.

As for the actual styles it looks like you prefer the look of what is called a twist out. You can either twist your hair yourself or ask someone else to do it. Wear it like that for a couple of days then carefully untwist them without unravelling way too much. I hope these couple of pointers help you out a little.

mwedzi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm bumping this thread because there have to be more styles. I did a search for men's styles and this is all that really came up. My friend is trying to grow his hair out but he's not liking how it looks. i'm not sure there's much he can do at this point other than pick it out. it's a little too long to brush down but also not long enough to twist. but maybe if he lets it grow another inch or so there will be more options for him. so what else do you guys have?

CeSoul is offline Active Nappturality Member
    That place in your head where music resides.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if your looking to do a chuncky looking fro try twisting or braids your hair and letting those stay in for at least 15 min - overnight and you get a chunky effect. How long you keep them in and how many sections you make will produce different effects.

After you take a shower you can take them out and lightly finger fluff (if desired) and go

If you don't like it then just wash/rinse it out

Good luck to you and HTH ^_^
    [/b]
    Thank you. I've been looking for a way to do that. Everywhere else I went couldn't answer me.