Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a Bostonian resident but the only good salons I know do not know how to do natural hair unless it means straightening it!

that means for trims, color anything I have to straighten it

Does anyone know any salons in the Boston area?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking for someone as well. I am new transplant to Boston and went to someone to get a press and curl and I believe my hair is greatly damaged. I am unsure of anyone who could look at my hair and help treat it. I would be greatly appreciative of anyone who can give some advice and contact information.

LeeshK is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been to Boston for about 2 years and haven't found a place. Right now I am driving to Providence (where they always straighten my hair ) or I drive home to CY/NYC where there are a lot more salons. I know some people have mentioned some salons in Boston, but I can't remember them. Anyone out there know which ones I am talking about?

OT: Last time I went to get my hair trimed my stylist said "You need to get a re.lxr" :Angry: I have been natural for 3 years now, I was so mad. Hence I am looking for a new salon. It's sad because I have been using this woman for 6 years now, when I was permed, through my transition and BC and as a natural. :Sigh: Oh well... ff to look for someone in Boston who appreciates my hair:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was surfing and found this person. I don't know anything about her, and I am not from Boston, but maybe she can help. She specializes in locs, but maybe she does other services. HTH

NATURAL KINKS SALON
    Dorchester MA 02124
    Phone: 617-312-2274
    Email: valena@naturalkinksofboston.com

Please Call for Directions!!

You can also visit me on MYSPACE

http://www.myspace.com/naturallykinkysisterlocks

ETA: I found another one and it had great reviews in the yahoo yellow pages.

Fresh Start Natural Hair Salon
    (617) 825-6027
    373b Washington St
    Dorchester Center, MA 02124

Cross Street:
    Near intersection of Gaylord St and Washington St

Maybe you could also check out the Boston Naturals Yahoo group.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to Fresh Start, it was a horrible experience. They were rude and unprofessional, I wound up leaving before I even let them do my hair.

Coco_P is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I could find a hair stylist in Boston that can do something other than fry my hair. I've been to so many. I think I'm giving up on finding one. I can't even find a braider who knows how to treat natural hair. If you want a wash n set or a press n curl, then you're all set, but for naturals, I don't know. I'm so frustrated with these hair salons. Theres one on every block going down Blue Hill Ave. But I havn't found one that can do my hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow... My mother inlaw just came to visit me here in TN. She has been natural for over 10 yrs but doesnt ever style her hair. So just an afro that she keeps covered (observes islam). Now she is interested in locking and she doesnt know where to turn.

I suggest you ladies who are getting together here on nappturality start having monthly meetings to get the word out and gather more women who are looking and interested in the same thing. There is bound to be someone who wants to open a strictly natural salon in the area. And you could be their advocates. Set the example for professionalism and empowerment rather than what you all are having to go thru now!!!

I am originally from NY. I thought Boston was a cultural melting pot and in so embraced such things as "nappy locks" :P

Anyway I found a bunch of SisterLocks consultants and a few proclaimed natural salons on TreasuredLocks.com I am not sure if these are FULLY natural salons as in NO Chemical Texture alteration ( I dont mind coloring at a salon ) Here is what I have:

Royal Tree Hair Care & Barber Salon
    162 Norfolk Street
    Dorchester, MA 02124
    617-436-3800

Muriel's Natural Hair Care
    768 Blue Hill Avenue
    Dorchester Center, MA 02124
    (617) 282-5386

Natural Kinks of Boston
    By Appointment Only
    Dorchester, MA 02124
    (617) 312-2274

Fresh Start Natural Salon
    373B Washington Street
    Dorchester, MA 02122
    (617) 825-6027

Ambiance by AlexAndrea's
    1334 Blue Hill Avenue
    Mattapan, MA 02126
    617-696-5400

shay is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to Fresh Start, it was a horrible experience. They were rude and unprofessional, I wound up leaving before I even let them do my hair.
    [/b]
    Sounds like they have gone downhill, I was last there 4 years ago in fact they started my locs and while it was nothing compared to places in Chicago (kinda rinky dink) they did at that time do decent work. I stopped going when I started to freeform, in fact I was thinking of getting my locs colored and going there again but your description don't make em sound too good.

Shay
    Read the rantings and ravings of a sista trapped in Maine

http://blackgirlinmaine.wordpress.com/

shay is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping this up to see if anyone has anything else to add. Like I said in an earlier post, I have been to Fresh Start and while they did decent work and started my locs 4 years ago, I am hoping to find a shop that is a bit more upscale than Fresh Start. I have locs and really could use some help. (freeforming gone wild)

Shay
    Read the rantings and ravings of a sista trapped in Maine

http://blackgirlinmaine.wordpress.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just found this thread. Sorry about re-posting. I am also new to Boston and I need to find someone who can *gasp* cut loose kinky hair into a shape that will look good as a twist-out, twists, a droopy fro, and other "hanging" styles.

I might try to do it myself, since it seems that stylists have (at large) a disdain for kinky hair and 'need' to straighten it for it to make any sense to their narrow minds.

Heck, I might even post instructions once I've figured it out. I'm off to search for droopy fro pictures for inspiration...maybe someone else has posted instructions/ ideas about shaping kinky hair.
    I'd straighten my hair, but that style doesn't really look good on me.