Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation No One's Hair Should EVER Be This Dirty!

No One's Hair Should EVER Be This Dirty!

I was recently hired at a specialty braiding salon, and had to do a takedown.

The lady was friendly and talkative...But her hair...I cut all the extension hair off to get to the cornrows. Her hair was a matted mess! And girl.......when I started to undo those cornrows, I was horrified! It was like the hair was GLUED together! There was all this white gumminess and flakiness at the root.....It was getting under my fingernails... It looked as though she hadn't washed her hair in 20 years!

Earlier that same day, I took down some micros. That client's hair was clean as a whistle!

Women need to realize that braids and weaves can be washed; only the technique is a little different. It is essential that the scalp and hair be cleansed, by some means. Going three months without washing one's hair is disgusting. Even using witch hazel would be better than that.

One lady also mentioned that she is busy and doesn't have time for hair. Also that "it hurts" to detangle. I believe that if you can make time to take a shower everyday, you can find the time to wash your hair at least once a week; two weeks at most.

I think many women are becoming lazy. There is no such thing as "no maintenance" hair care. The scalp needs to be cleansed and the hair needs to be moisturized.

I find it quite ironic that *some* women with high tech jobs like "computer software programmers" can't do simple things like wash and detangle their hair...

Rant over

Last edited by CoilyHairedBeauty; 09-10-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

2. Thanks deecoily, AStone thanked for this post
    Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess just ask her to come in every two weeks to get a wash, since her busy schedule is getting in the way of DIY hair care.
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mann I wish we had a natural hair salon here in Columbus. Are the prices reasonable there?
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You weren't wearing gloves? No ma'am! Let that be a lesson to you. Wear your gloves until you see the condition of their scalp.
    Formally MzCuteBrownLeo
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Olahh: Thanks; we need to show her how to do it at home. The prices are more toward the high end...for example $175 for kinky twists..

@Akomas_Angel: They don't wear gloves....Something about offending the client...I'm going to talk to the owner when I go in on Tuesday about that...Cuz that's just NASTY.
    Last edited by CoilyHairedBeauty; 09-10-2012 at 04:49 AM.
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think her career had anything to do with it, so that's not really fair. I'm sure there are some women in other professions who could do better with their hair (especially ones like hair pros, those in the beauty industry, health, etc.)

You'd think she'd notice her scalp either with it just being gross or with it itching. Yuck. I agree that she should keep her hair clean and that if she's got time to hop in the shower she can also clean her hair while she's at it. What you had to deal with sounds like a nasty mess.

Did you or the stylist take a moment to coach her a bit?
    Last edited by Scribetastic; 09-10-2012 at 04:12 AM.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

8. Thanks JustAnotherNappyGirl thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the world of professional hair care?

I think if it's simple for some, they would do it often. But like someone mentioned, suggest they come in for services. I think some women try to prolong styles for economic reasons and neglect the hair underneath, and/or the hair maintenance is time consuming in addition to responsibilities. If patrons knew how to do hair and/or groomed regularly, there wouldn't be a need for your service. So expect the unexpected.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post
    I don't think her career had anything to do with it, so that's not really fair. I'm sure there are some women in other professions who could do better with their hair (especially ones like hair pros, those in the beauty industry, health, etc.)

You'd think she'd notice her scalp either with it just being gross or with it itching. Yuck. I agree that she should keep her hair clean and that if she's got time to hop in the shower she can also clean her hair while she's at it. What you had to deal with sounds like a nasty mess.

Did you or the stylist take a moment to coach her a bit?
    Yeah, the salon owner talked to her for a bit afterward. Actually, she made the comment that the lady's hair was "caked up" as I was taking it down.

As far as professions go, what I mean is this: Hygiene is one of those things you learn as a little kid. Bathing, brushing your teeth. I don't think washing your hair should be excluded. It should be common knowledge. I guess job doesn't matter, but I just thought about how someone so highly skilled had issues with that.

Yes, it was hecka nasty. I went and washed my hands oh-so-thoughly...
    /

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Fuzziwuz

I can understand why it would be difficult for someone to remove a weave.

The salon I'm at doesn't do washes like that. It's basically a braiding salon. An assistant will shampoo a client so that one of the braid technicians can do her next style, but washing weaves really isn't part of the deal. That's why I want to show the lady how she can wash her weave at home.

I don't know if this is a good analogy: Say I wanted to get laser hair removal. They'd look at me like I was a fool if I showed up reeking and asking them to bathe me first....
    Last edited by CoilyHairedBeauty; 09-10-2012 at 04:52 AM.
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoilyHairedBeauty View Post
    Yeah, the salon owner talked to her for a bit afterward. Actually, she made the comment that the lady's hair was "caked up" as I was taking it down.

As far as professions go, what I mean is this: Hygiene is one of those things you learn as a little kid. Bathing, brushing your teeth. I don't think washing your hair should be excluded. It should be common knowledge. I guess job doesn't matter, but I just thought about how someone so highly skilled had issues with that.

Yes, it was hecka nasty. I went and washed my hands oh-so-thoughly...
    That's good that someone talked to her. I agree with you 100% about hygiene. I mean really, she should know. However, you never know what someone's background is and what sort of craziness they grew up in. I'm thinking somewhere along the way, she didn't learn the basics or heard from some craziness about not washing extensions. Either way, yuck.

Glad she left with more a of a clue so that you or someone else doesn't have to deal with that again.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast