Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default newbie with a question

Hi, I''m new to the community and I just wanted to get some clarification on something. I see that the forum has a strict policy on not discussing any straightening. I was just wondering, what specifically about straightening is frowned upon?
    Is it the heat that is used to achieve the desired style, or is it the fact that straightening alters hair texture (albeit temporarily) If it is the latter, I'm not sure I understand because there is many a thread about banding here and it is offered as an alternative to heat straightening.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason straightening isn't discussed is that this site promotes accepting your natural hair texture as is. No discussing of chemical straighteners and temporary straighteners like flat irons/hot combs/blow dryers/whatever else there is out there.

Of course there may or may not be folks that using temp straightening methods for styling options, but it stays "hush-hush" and not at all discussed on this site.

Welcome to NP and happy posting
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks--that's where I get lost though. If straightening is as a no-no because its seen as rejecting your natural texture, then why is it ok to discuss other, non heat/chemical methods of straightening. I guess I just disagree with the sentiment that straightening your hair means that you don't accept your natural self. Anyhoo, thanks for responding!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's the fact that heat can PERMANENTLY damage the hair and make the hair unhealthy that's frowned upon, banding doesn't.
    Love Nikki

Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/lovelymuse/

Password: lovenikki

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I always thought people banded to stretch their (usually to prep for another style) but they weren't just wearing the banded results as an actual hairstyle. When people use heat to straighten they're actually going for a hairstyle.

Plus heat can cause damage and permanently alter your texture. Banding won't do that....a wash will get your hair right back into shape.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like the others have said heat and chemicals permanently alter your texture. banding, roller setting, large, braid, twists, etc do not.

if you think that use of heat is always temporary, check out this forum. many of the people in there thought they were getting a temporary one-time style.

I guess I just disagree with the sentiment that straightening your hair means that you don't accept your natural self.
    whether or not it's about accepting your natural self isn't really the issue in this case. this site belongs to dee. she started it and maintains as a place where people discuss their nappy hair, not a place that also talks about how to destroy those naps. there are plenty of other forums out there that allow it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default In defense of banding....lmao

I've yet to discover any thing that will straighten my hair that is not a hot comb or a blow dryer. And I am a regular bander. Who gets their hair straight with some rubber bands? Where dey do dat at? Just curious lol my banding results are below...

the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat=damage

Banding doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Garvey
    Don't remove the kinks from your HAIR. Remove them from your BRAIN
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2010 View Post
    like the others have said heat and chemicals permanently alter your texture. banding, roller setting, large, braid, twists, etc do not.

if you think that use of heat is always temporary, check out this forum. many of the people in there thought they were getting a temporary one-time style.

whether or not it's about accepting your natural self isn't really the issue in this case. this site belongs to dee. she started it and maintains as a place where people discuss their nappy hair, not a place that also talks about how to destroy those naps. there are plenty of other forums out there that allow it.
    This is irrelevant to me. I don't care if Jesus runs the site--I'm allowed to hold a dissenting opinion if I so desire. The point of my post was to understand what about straightening is frowned upon. Thanks ladies for your responses.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you are allowed to have those opinions but most threads discussing heat and why we don't discuss it get shut down
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast