Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default white women & hair dye

Okay, I admit to not being the most observant person in the world, but I just noticed that the majority of white women I encounter every day dye their hair. It seems to be just as prevalent, percentage-wise, as black women who straighten their hair or wear weaves/wigs.

From young to old, they almost all do it, and it seems they start this trend as teenagers. What I'm wondering is, when did this happen? Was it during the 90s, or the 00's? And why didn't I notice this before? I'm especially asking some of the folks on here who are 30 plus, were white women always doing this and I just didn't notice or is this a more recent trend?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how recent the trend is but it's interesting you brought it up. Just this weekend I saw a nine year old white girl who gets her hair dyed. Never saw that before, but I instantly thought of all the black girls her age geeting relaxers so I wondered if other white girls her age get their hair regularly processed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White women dying their hair is equivalent to black women and relaxers.... both appealing to what media states is desirable. Most dye early and don't remember the natural hair color. I don't know why, when one see roots... but according to the older generation that's their account. When this phenomenon occurred? I don't know, but i'm assuming the "blondes have more fun" era/ blonde bombshells ie: Marilyn Monroe. Men desiring and associating blond with sexuality and power. What's astounding there's a small percentage of real blondes, and the majority witnessed are bleached. So they're brainwashed by media as well.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by set4str8 View Post
    I don't know how recent the trend is but it's interesting you brought it up. Just this weekend I saw a nine year old white girl who gets her hair dyed. Never saw that before, but I instantly thought of all the black girls her age geeting relaxers so I wondered if other white girls her age get their hair regularly processed.
    Most likely. I understand young boys dye their hair as well... in addition to crazy colors as teens. A lot of this has to do with parents trying to create this perfect, ideal attractive family.

Florence, (Italy, I wish:D) South Carolina
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion a lot of it is that people just want what they don't have. White women with curly hair want straight hair and straighten their hair everyday. I've even known guys that I've went to school with that straighten their hair and hate it curly. Then there's white women who have straight as a board hair and think it's boring so they get perms and ect. Same with black women and relaxers and black men and texturizers. I think hair color is universal though. Everyone likes color!
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
    Coco Chanel
    What I use now: Aussie Moist to moisturize and clean, setting lotion for retwisting, & silk elements sunrise blonde hair dye

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzziwuz View Post
    When this phenomenon occurred? I don't know, but i'm assuming the "blondes have more fun" era/ blonde bombshells ie: Marilyn Monroe.
    From what I have read and heard from the older generation, it was actually considered slutty to dye one's hair blonde back in the 40s and 50s. It was something movie stars, show girls and prostitutes did. It made one look "cheap" so the attitude went. Even when I was a kid in the 70s there were those hair color ads in magazines that said "Does she or doesn't she. . . only her hairdresser knows for sure" implying that coloring your hair was something you kept secret, like plastic surgery is today.

In the 70s it seemed like white women were wearing their natural brown color a lot more. At least that is what I remember. Most of my white friends wore their natural color, even up through college, and I graduated in '87.
    Last edited by swingbolder; 04-27-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: white women & hair dye

Quote Originally Posted by swingbolder

From what I have read and heard from the older generation, it was actually considered slutty to dye one's hair blonde back in the 40s and 50s. It was something movie stars, show girls and prostitutes did. It made one look "cheap" so the attitude went. Even when I was a kid in the 70s there were those hair color ads in magazines that said "Does she or doesn't she. . . only her hairdresser knows for sure" implying that coloring your hair was something you kept secret, like plastic surgery is today.

In the 70s it seemed like white women were wearing their natural brown color a lot more. At least that is what I remember. Most of my white friends wore their natural color, even up through college, and I graduated in '87.
    Yes they hid it! I use to do hair in a white salon back in 88 and 89. Those women would have the most jacked up hair!! I was so shocked cause like most black people think white hair is perfect hair well it ain't with all the perming blow drying, bleaching , coloring they do their hair feels like hay!! Oh and they will lie that they color their hair too. If they insisted that they did not bleach their hair and wanted a perm we made them sign a waiver so if their hair fell out we would not be accountable. Their was one lady u refused to touch her hair she was pissed so she went to another salon and they gave her a perm and then had to cut her hair short cause it was fried beyond saving. She came back to me after that and said she should have listen to me.

Even if they are already blonde they want it blonder!lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember the old ads for at home colour where the tag was, "Does she or doesn't she? Only her hairdresser knows for sure". I remember seeing those as a kid and I remember when the came out and they were revolutionary because it was about flaunting your colour. So my guess is they've always done it, but just like nowadays it's no longer shameful to admit that one is wearing a weave or wig, haircolouring has come out of the closet as well.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzziwuz View Post
    White women dying their hair is equivalent to black women and relaxers.... both appealing to what media states is desirable. Most dye early and don't remember the natural hair color. I don't know why, when one see roots... but according to the older generation that's their account. When this phenomenon occurred? I don't know, but i'm assuming the "blondes have more fun" era/ blonde bombshells ie: Marilyn Monroe. Men desiring and associating blond with sexuality and power. What's astounding there's a small percentage of real blondes, and the majority witnessed are bleached. So they're brainwashed by media as well.
    Nope, white women have never ever had to assimilate their hair in an attempt to survive, and we didn't relax our hair because the media said we should do so. Yeah white women have some illogical psychological issues with hair dye, but they in no way, shape, or form have or have ever had an systemic institutional bias against them because of the color of their hair. Our hair issues and their hair issues are in no way equivalent beyond the fact that hair is a commonality.
    BECOME PANK!! ยก Gif-n-go

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White women have been changing their hair color for centuries. It's just that now there are 'safer' and quicker ways to do it.

It's NOT the same as black women straightening their hair. Black women have been coloring their hair for centuries, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast