star13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nicely said. That's why only mostly other lockers apprcieate locs. So many people think locs grow waistlength over night.

Jhera is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was well versed and so true! More people who want to loc need to embrace this philosophy. I loved my locs in all of its stages but did/do have my frustrating days.

I laugh at the fact that people think my locs look like twists , I remain steadfast in patience as some of my locs unravel at the ends, I giggle at the rebels who refuse to loc after two years (I've decide those hairs don't want to marry each other), I fuss the locs who are so short they stick out because they refuse to catch up with their neighbors, I spite my scalp for being so dry STILL after all this time.

Through it all, I grow in patience and in love of my locs. I admire the fact that each set of locs looks different but beautiful on each of us. I won't lie I do have loc envy on an occassion when I look at others locs but I stay optimistic to the day when my locs get to that point
    Last chemical fire cream: January 25, 2005
    100% Natural: July 1, 2005
    Loc'd: October 20, 2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Jhera/3/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh, I love your words! I don't know what I expected from my journey, I certainly didn't have any preconceived notions of length, and at the very least the length of time it takes to get a significant length was daunting to say the least, but I'm enjoying learning how to take care of my hair!!! Because I have a lifetime to love and learn my babies, I'm trying to embrace every step!
    Sessy dread!;)

nini84 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Great Thread!

This is absolutely on point, Agoddessinlocs!
    When I started my journey, i was prepared and had learned about the bumps along the journey of loc'ing. But like it's said, everyone's journey wont be the same and the end results will certainly vary. I will be coming up on my fourth month this week, and so far I have really enjoyed my frizzy stage. My hair hasn't been this thick since before my first perm(5th grade!). I haven't had much negative feedback so far, but either way I am doing this for me, not anyone else.

This definitely needs to be pinned!
    Too blessed to be stressed!

BC: 11/11/09
    began loc'ing: 11/11/09
    my album: http://public.fotki.com/niinii84

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post! I'm trying to embrace my new [2nd] lock journey [avatar is 1st set].
    Even though I am in year two, I hope I will be able to keep this set as long as I did the first one which *almost* grew down to my waist! What a mistake that was to cut them! I hear lots of members think about taking their locks down, and I say think it all the way through first!!!!
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ymitchell1221 View Post
    as a new loc-er, i only want to say thanks. i was just looking at my hair before re-twisting it yesterday and thinking i wasnt going to make it. after the re-twist, and reading this- i will make it.
    Hang in there ymitchell! Lord knows, I've been there, done that and thought I wasn't going to make it either!! The end results are well worth the wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by debe_999 View Post
    Good post! Really, loctitians should prepare people for the process of locing, oftherwise it can seem unachievable when looking at the starter stage. I really didn't like mine when they were first done, but because I'd done so much research I realised that I wouldn't find the beginning pleasing to the eye, but once the forst few 3-4 weeks are past they just get better with every day. And I have some rebelious "I'll do what I want, when I want, if I want" hair that changes its mind every other day. ... well I used to have that hair, now, ith locing, we've become friends and the result is soooo worth the time spent.
    I am glad that you and your locs have come to and understanding and compromise!! I didn't love mine at first either but so many of the things we grow to cherish in life come at the price of patience... I certainly didn't love being pregnant but those months of agony any the hard labor were well worth it when I first held my son!! If I'd have rushed him out of the womb too soon, he wouldn't have had the opportunity to develop and grow!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    PS - Love your writting style. You must be a great blogger.

THANKS SO MUCH!! I used to have a bushWHACKED blog dedicated to the shenanigans of our former president that a lot of people loved but as far as Nappturality goes... would you believe that I can't even figure out HOW to blog !!

@star13 - ain't that the truth?! I used to be one of those people, LOL!!!

@Jhera - girl, WHAT???? I STILL suffer from loc envy from time to time!! Some of y'all be rocking those real plump locs that make me droooooool!!!! LOL!

@BeautifulFlow - Thanks so much! I appreciate you letting me know and I'm glad that you're enjoying and learning your locs one day at a time, just like me!!

~MY FOTKI LOCUMENTARY~~MY YOUTUBE~

Life can be short & Life can be unfair but life can also be beautiful and full of pleasant surprises. Surround yourself with positivity, why waste our numbered days with anything else?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nini84 View Post
    This is absolutely on point, Agoddessinlocs!
    When I started my journey, i was prepared and had learned about the bumps along the journey of loc'ing. But like it's said, everyone's journey wont be the same and the end results will certainly vary. I will be coming up on my fourth month this week, and so far I have really enjoyed my frizzy stage. My hair hasn't been this thick since before my first perm(5th grade!). I haven't had much negative feedback so far, but either way I am doing this for me, not anyone else.

This definitely needs to be pinned!
    CONGRATS on MONTH 4!!! I think every month/milestone in the first year is a HUGE deal because I know the labor of love that it entails .

Thanks a lot for the compliment!!

Life can be short & Life can be unfair but life can also be beautiful and full of pleasant surprises. Surround yourself with positivity, why waste our numbered days with anything else?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Queenli19 View Post
    Great post! I'm trying to embrace my new [2nd] lock journey [avatar is 1st set].
    Even though I am in year two, I hope I will be able to keep this set as long as I did the first one which *almost* grew down to my waist! What a mistake that was to cut them! I hear lots of members think about taking their locks down, and I say think it all the way through first!!!!
    Hey Queenli... WELCOME BACK!! I ALWAYS say that a Queen is still a Queen no matter how you cut the deck (or in your case, the locs, LOL)... I just reached my 2nd year as well so I am uber excited and can't wait to add some more locversary's to the count. I was really surprised when Shawnta cut her locs...but even she made her way back to the loc side

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You all are very gracious with your words and experiences. I love the thread and I have realized, as I approach my 2nd month, that patience and self love/ adoration is key.
    My journey is just beginning.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am agreeing with the others who have posted up in here. This needs to be pinned.

I had a brief week long try out with 2STs that I put in my hair, figuring I would leave them alone and see how/if they grew into locs. After washing and spritzing all week long I ended up with a one big fuzzy bush of hair on my head...so I took them out.

After coming up in here and checking out this loc forum, I stalked fotki's and pictures and it absolutely, without a doubt, was those pictures of beginning locs that clued me in to how my hair could possibly look on the way to locdom. I saw the fuzziness, the so called "ugly stages" etc, and found myself slowly coming to the realization that I could handle it. Then, one day, I woke up, braided my hair, and began my journey. I decided to give my hair up to 2 years to loc and up to 2 years for me to "like" the way they looked. Here I am at 15 months and I can say without a doubt that at month 3 or 4, I irrevocably fell in love with my locs.

They don't always look perfect (hardly ever actually, but I like that), but they're mine, and I KNOW that without the beginning stages, there is no teenage stage and no mature stage. It all takes time. I honestly wouldn't change this journey for anything - my eyes are still on the prize - healthy, long, glorious locs. I'm practically there already!
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast