neveah is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is there anyone who works in the IT field?

How did you get trained to work in the IT field? Are there any apprenticeship programs out there that train people?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is there anyone who works in the IT field?

Is there any particular aspect of IT that you're interested in?

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeBe View Post
    Is there any particular aspect of IT that you're interested in?

DeBe
    Well, I don't know much about IT, so I don't even know where to begin. I think that I would be interested in software.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are so many aspect to IT, it's difficult to suggest much without some idea of the area you're interested in. Can you say what bought IT to to mind for a career? Looking at your reasons may give some indication of where to start.

Also there are employment consultants that can have you go through questionaires to assess your apptitude for different careers, this could also help you to decide on a goal.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeBe View Post
    There are so many aspect to IT, it's difficult to suggest much without some idea of the area you're interested in. Can you say what bought IT to to mind for a career? Looking at your reasons may give some indication of where to start.

Also there are employment consultants that can have you go through questionaires to assess your apptitude for different careers, this could also help you to decide on a goal.

DeBe
    I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to reply. I had some drama going on in my life and forgot about this thread.

I've heard that IT pays well, so that's what brought it to my mind for a career. I live in a small town and there aren't any employment consultants here. I still think I'd be interested in software. However, I'm not good at math and I've heard that you need to be good at math in order to pass the IT courses.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neveah View Post
    I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to reply. I had some drama going on in my life and forgot about this thread.

I've heard that IT pays well, so that's what brought it to my mind for a career. I live in a small town and there aren't any employment consultants here. I still think I'd be interested in software. However, I'm not good at math and I've heard that you need to be good at math in order to pass the IT courses.
    I always hear about needing to be good at maths to be successfull in IT. I'm good with numbers, so I can't really say how it would be if I wasn't.

What I would say, is to get paid well, you need to be good at whatever aspect of it you work in and to be good at it you need to have a real interest in it (IMHO at least)

https://www.udemy.com

You can find various online courses at this link. It's a starting point. You can find short courses for $30 or even less, depending on the course.

There's also the aspect of formating documents, creating presentations on powerpoint, creating forms in word & excel. If numbers isn't your thing, there are aspects that are less dependent on being willing to scrutanise logic.

I didn the formating thing for a while, it used to pay well, I don't know about now. The important thing to be willing to put the work into being good at what you do.

In a small town, you could become the "go to" person for small companies who want that type of work but can't afford/justify paying a full time person as the only need the work from time to time.

DeBe