Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first wait another day let it settle then if it is still too thick......

lower your oils and raise your water. Oils at 10% and Water at 77%.

You would have to reheat and I see you have used a preservative so I would try again.

Keep good notes on your test batches One thing I have learned the hard way KEEP NOTES!!!!!! LOL!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    I do like the concoction I made! It just melts into my skin & hair. The last one I made didn't "rub" well-if you know what I mean. Maybe it was the oils I used.
    REGEE
    I LOVE my NAPPZ :) !!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used beeswax as an emulsifier in my homemade cream, and the oil and water separated anyway....Is there anything that I can do to help them stay together...or do I need to use a different emulsifier?....I followed the instructions to the tee......or I thought I did....Should I have kept stirring until the mixture was completely cool (my arm was tired...lol)?
    Beautifulnappi

Nappy since July 2003
    Visit My New Fotki Album
    Visit My Old Fotki Album

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can't believe i fell on this post just now!! i'm getting ready to make my first cream recipe ever tomorrow and i was browsing for some extra ideas (i want to make a moisturizing cream that i could use on my twists), this is more than helpful... thank you so much Jorjeni
    [url='http://public.fotki.com/mendosa/']my pictures[/url] [color=purple]pwd: naturelle[/color] [color=orange](last update: April 10)[/color]
    "Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be."
    [color=green]Go where your youth is telling you to go: if you succeed, you’ll grow up faster; if you fail, you’ll get back on your feet stronger. Do not wake up some day and regret of not having tried.[/color]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by mendosa@Nov 21 2004, 01:00 AM
    i can't believe i fell on this post just now!! i'm getting ready to make my first cream recipe ever tomorrow and i was browsing for some extra ideas (i want to make a moisturizing cream that i could use on my twists), this is more than helpful... thank you so much Jorjeni
    your welcome just passing on what was giving to me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Beautifulnappi@Nov 19 2004, 04:53 PM
    I used beeswax as an emulsifier in my homemade cream, and the oil and water separated anyway....Is there anything that I can do to help them stay together...or do I need to use a different emulsifier?....I followed the instructions to the tee......or I thought I did....Should I have kept stirring until the mixture was completely cool (my arm was tired...lol)?
    It is my understanding ( and if anyone can correct me please do) that when using beeswax as an emuslifier the mixture will seperate and the addition of borax is needed to help with this. When using Beeswax it is added to the oil phase of an emulsion and the borax is added to the water phase of the mixture.

Now I have never made a lotion or cream using beeswax I have been avoiding( don't ask LOL) it So I can't give you any precentages of how much beeswax to use or how much borax. Most of my recipes that I have don't have the presentages but are in oz. and I have not taken the time to convert it cause I havent used any of those recipes yet. The closest est. of borax to use that I can see is about 1/8-1/4 teaspoon per 2- 4 oz of product

I have used veg. leicthin as a emulsifier and I have had mixed results with it. Once it mixed and did not seperate and the next time with the same recipe it seperated ?????? I personally don't care. I would rather use something natural then to use E-Wax cause of the possiblity of it being treated with detergents.

As for the stiring. I usually let it cool a little then start stirin for no more than 5 mins. then I let it cool and set on it's own.

HTH

Jennifer

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jorjeni, I actually read somewhere else that borax was necessary to make beeswax an emulsifier, AFTER the fact of course....lol
    I will have to try that Veg. Lecithin....

Beautifulnappi

Nappy since July 2003
    Visit My New Fotki Album
    Visit My Old Fotki Album

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I wanted to add glycerin to my lotion, should it be part of the oil phase or the water phase??

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water.

Gacela20 Guest

Great thread! Bumping.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast