Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any football moms??

My son, whom is 5yrs. old, started football practice about a month ago. He's a little runningback. I am just looking to swap some stories with other moms who have children on athletic teams.

-THX

twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a soccer mom for the past 3 yrs. My 7 year old 'attempted' flag football 2 years ago and it was the WORST experience for both of us! He says he never wants to play football again (hope he changes his mind for dad's sake )

He loves soccer and is good at it, so I think we'll stick there for now.
    Formerly known as New2natural1

April 4th--2 years fully natural

Thanks for Panking me!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were at practice yesterday. It's amazing how naturally athletic my son is, especially to be just 5yrs. old...on the other hand, I am not too surprised because I have been involved in sports (track & field, crew, and a little soccer) since 4th grade. I wonder what my daughter will get in to?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Football & Tennis mom here!! I have 9 y/o twin boys. One plays football (quarterback or running back, coach isn't sure what he'll play yet) and the other plays tennis. The boys are night & day. Lol. Our 4 y/o is not in sports yet. No rush.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son wants to play sports but he is very uncoordinated. He had to have occupational therapy for a lack of coordination. All of my relatives think he should be playing something not the chess club or running cross country, or playing tennis which is what he wanted! (I get angry when people ask me if he's playing basketball- he's 11 and 5'4". I feel like people say this because he's a black male. )
    I am not anti sports, ok so maybe I am. As part of my teaching duties, I am FORCED to sell tickets to JV and Varsity basketball or football games! Why can I take up ticket money at band or choir concerts? lol
    We tried basketball when he was 5, and even though it was a "developmental" league, all of the other players were super.
    I don't know if I could pull off the practices now, with three children (one with significant food allergies) and a spouse on night shift. I hope I am not depriving him some something important.
    I also, in the back of my mind, want academics to be his first priority. I see so many students (AA) that place sports before academics and waste their potential. My son loves school and I will encourage him to do so. I sometimes think he wants to be like other AA boys in his school. Just my thoughts, hope I didn't offend anyone
    My hair does what it wants, lots of shrinkage. And I like it.

twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by profdefrancais View Post
    My son wants to play sports but he is very uncoordinated. He had to have occupational therapy for a lack of coordination. All of my relatives think he should be playing something not the chess club or running cross country, or playing tennis which is what he wanted! (I get angry when people ask me if he's playing basketball- he's 11 and 5'4". I feel like people say this because he's a black male. )
    I am not anti sports, ok so maybe I am. As part of my teaching duties, I am FORCED to sell tickets to JV and Varsity basketball or football games! Why can I take up ticket money at band or choir concerts? lol
    We tried basketball when he was 5, and even though it was a "developmental" league, all of the other players were super.
    I don't know if I could pull off the practices now, with three children (one with significant food allergies) and a spouse on night shift. I hope I am not depriving him some something important.
    I also, in the back of my mind, want academics to be his first priority. I see so many students (AA) that place sports before academics and waste their potential. My son loves school and I will encourage him to do so. I sometimes think he wants to be like other AA boys in his school. Just my thoughts, hope I didn't offend anyone
    Do what works for your family.

If sports don't work for you, then don't do them. Sports and school can go together quite nicely, It's up to the parents to make sure school comes first.

I put my son in soccer because HE wanted to try it, same with football. He just didn't like football and I had no problem pulling him out.

I will keep him in soccer for as long as HE likes it. As far as school goes, he just finished first grade, and was an honor roll student.
    Formerly known as New2natural1

April 4th--2 years fully natural

Thanks for Panking me!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not offended at all. Education comes first in our home as well. The twins are both honor roll kids. I didn't want my son playing football, but he reallyyyy wanted to and the kid is amazing (an arm and speed out of this world). We waited as long as possible to put him on a "team" because Dh & I wanted to find the right team. One which focuses on academics as much as the sport. His games are only on the weekend (means no late nights) and practice is in the evening after homework is done anyway.

The other son who plays tennis does not like contact sports. He enjoys tennis & mentioned wanting to take up chess & track & field as well (God give me the strength...LOL) He tends to be my quiet, leave me alone type of kid ( he gets this from me..LOL)

Encourage your son to be him and if chess, tennis, etc... is his choice so be it! If he's happy that's all that's important. I tell my boys to think outside of the "box" and don't feel you have to be like others around you. If they want to play Lacrosse, then mama will find the closest team. I just want them to be happy with their decision.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ladies! I can't imagine trying to control a 4 yo and 13 month old at practices and games.
    I should also add that he loves sports, I just don't know about how I will fit this into my schedule during the school year.
    My hair does what it wants, lots of shrinkage. And I like it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 3 boys. 16 & (10 & 11, only 4 months apart). And they all play football.

My 16 year old extremely althletic and is going into the 10th grade and considered the top sophmore(sp?) runningback. He also runs track and plays basketball.

My 10 year olds best position is defense. He's big for his age and a beast on the defensive line.

My 11 year old is small for his age and uses it to his advantage. He plays safety on defense and is often underestimated. And thanks to his quick footed nature he makes a good running back on offense. He has a tough time getting out the gate but once he's gone... he's GONE!!

Education is a priority but sports is their reward. My 10 and 11 year old are attending a wonderful "Private Summer School" and will continue tutoring after school when school starts. This way homework is always done in time for practice.

So yes, I am a big time sports mom. And I lovvve swapping stories. Practice for the the little ones start next week and I'm on pins and needles just as much as they are.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna lurk this thread cuz I'm a "wanna be" football mom (I've wanted to be one since I started as a trainer for the football team in high school).

So far I've got a baby girl, so I've got a little while to go before I join your illustrious ranks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast