Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking of getting sisterlocks and I'm wondering how everyone one feels about them. Is there anyone on the board who has them and wouldn't mind sharing their experience with me. I think I might get my daughter's hair done as well.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HappyDoingMe has them. She got them a couple of months ago. You can click on any thread to find her because she responds to a lot of posts. They look GREAT on her and you can do any syle with them. I'm transitioning into loose natural hair but I do anticipate getting sisterlock years and years from now, because I do love them.
    <div align="center">My Fotki!!!
    Last CFC: March 22, 2008
    Big Chop: September 5, 2008!

My YouTube Channel!!!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...nze_girl/5.jpg
    I&#39;ve fallen in love with my nappy crown!</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial">Hello! I got mine installed at the beginning of May. I really like them so far! I was at my 7th month of transitioning and came to the point where I needed to either chop or get kinky twists or something. I didn&#39;t want to spend anymore money since I knew eventually I&#39;d want these and they are expensive upfront. So, I went ahead and got them installed. There seems to be controversy surrounding them because they are not started traditionally and they can be started on re.laxed hair. The way my consultant did it was she loc&#39;d the new growth only and left the re.laxed ends out. I&#39;ll cut them as my locs start to mature. I&#39;m not exactly sure if I can cut them before hand but I have been snipping away recently little by little. Its been a breeze to do my hair in the mornings now. I put my hair in a high ponytail and curl my hair with about 4 or 5 flexi rods. In the morning, I take it down and go or if I want, put some bobby pins in my hair to hold the front back like how you see in my avatar.

I would suggest really researching them. There are a ton of blogs if you type in "Sisterlocks, blogspot" in the google search box. This site has all kinds of loc blogs linked to it.

Here are some of my fave blogs:
    Dewdrop
    Drea
    Audrey
    DocsLocs
    Saabira (microbraid locs) similar to sisterlocks
    Creyole

On the Sisterlock website, you&#39;ll be able to find a consultant in your state if there is one and if there isn&#39;t a consultant, you might be able to find a trainee. Mine is a trainee and she did a wonderful job! I&#39;d ask around and make sure they are ligit because there are some phonies out there! Anyway, I think its a good idea! They are flexible and easy to style just like regular locs and you can always combine them later on down the road if you want them thicker!

ETA: I wanted to share how you wash them. I was told I could wash them as often as I want, but I choose to wash them once a week. Right now I have to "braid and band" them so they don&#39;t unravel when I do. I braid my hair as if I were doing a braid out and band each one with a hair tie. Then I take a spray bottle with diluted shampoo and spray on my scalp and kind of massage it. Then I get in the shower and rinse it out while my hair is still banded. Then I squeeze out the excess water and towel blot.

After that, YOU HAVE TO separate each one...kind of like combing with loose hair. It takes me about 20 min to do that. Then, you can let it airdry or go ahead and style it how you want from there. ^_^
    </span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial">Hello! I got mine installed at the beginning of May. I really like them so far! I was at my 7th month of transitioning and came to the point where I needed to either chop or get kinky twists or something. I didn&#39;t want to spend anymore money since I knew eventually I&#39;d want these and they are expensive upfront. So, I went ahead and got them installed. There seems to be controversy surrounding them because they are not started traditionally and they can be started on re.laxed hair. The way my consultant did it was she loc&#39;d the new growth only and left the re.laxed ends out. I&#39;ll cut them as my locs start to mature. I&#39;m not exactly sure if I can cut them before hand but I have been snipping away recently little by little. Its been a breeze to do my hair in the mornings now. I put my hair in a high ponytail and curl my hair with about 4 or 5 flexi rods. In the morning, I take it down and go or if I want, put some bobby pins in my hair to hold the front back like how you see in my avatar.

I would suggest really researching them. There are a ton of blogs if you type in "Sisterlocks, blogspot" in the google search box. This site has all kinds of loc blogs linked to it.

Here are some of my fave blogs:
    Dewdrop
    Drea
    Audrey
    DocsLocs
    Saabira (microbraid locs) similar to sisterlocks
    Creyole

On the Sisterlock website, you&#39;ll be able to find a consultant in your state if there is one and if there isn&#39;t a consultant, you might be able to find a trainee. Mine is a trainee and she did a wonderful job! I&#39;d ask around and make sure they are ligit because there are some phonies out there! Anyway, I think its a good idea! They are flexible and easy to style just like regular locs and you can always combine them later on down the road if you want them thicker!

ETA: I wanted to share how you wash them. I was told I could wash them as often as I want, but I choose to wash them once a week. Right now I have to "braid and band" them so they don&#39;t unravel when I do. I braid my hair as if I were doing a braid out and band each one with a hair tie. Then I take a spray bottle with diluted shampoo and spray on my scalp and kind of massage it. Then I get in the shower and rinse it out while my hair is still banded. Then I squeeze out the excess water and towel blot.

After that, YOU HAVE TO separate each one...kind of like combing with loose hair. It takes me about 20 min to do that. Then, you can let it airdry or go ahead and style it how you want from there. ^_^
    </span>
    [/b]

Thank you so much for the reply. There&#39;s a natural salon in my area and I&#39;ve had my hair braided there before. The owner has Sisterlocks and is listed on the website as fully trained. How much did they cost you in your area

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial">Altogether it cost me $485 dollars. $435 for the actual installation and then $50 for the "great start package" which includes 2 washes and a retightening. The washes are spaced out every 2 weeks and then the retightening was set out at 6 weeks. I wash my hair on my own now, but that was just so she could make sure everything was holding up. I think that might be standard to get regardless of where you are at but I&#39;m not sure. Since she is a trainee, that might be considered cheap. She charged me for the 3-4 inches of new growth I had.

I know it seems expensive, which it is, but I was spending over $200 a month on my hair(the last time was $250 for a bad re.laxer and some jacked up weave <_<) so i figure this is a one time deal and I can eventually learn how to retighten myself, plus it will pay itself back in about 3 months. If that is too much, you may be able to have them start you out with micros in a grid like pattern and get very similar results. Just ask them if they could latch the new growth as they grow out and it might be a whole lot cheaper that way!</span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

^ That&#39;s how I feel about my Sisterlocks!

Read everything you can about them before you install. See some in person, stalk photo albumns, touch them, question those who are locked, look at them at different ages, research it like nobody&#39;s business.

Tootles!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ve been locked for just over a year now and I love them! It sounds so cliche to say it, but my only regret is not locking sooner. The initial costs usually give people sticker shock but if you add up how much you actually spend over the course of a year for weaves, perms, etc. it ends up being cheaper for most people to have SLs installed.

Like everyone else, I recommended that you research, research, and research some more before choosing a consultant. Also, I know that you said the consultant at the salon has SLs but I would ask to see pictures of clients who she has done the installation for (not just maintenance). The biggest thing that makes Sisterlocks, Sisterlocks is the precise parting. She probably had someone else install her locks so it&#39;s not safe to use that as the basis for choosing her.

Good luck!
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/NappturalBeauty07/"]My Fotki[/url] and [url="http://nappturalbeauty07.blogspot.com/"]blog[/url]

<div align="center">[color=#993399]Life is about change. Sometimes it&#39;s painful. Sometimes it&#39;s beautiful. Most of the time it&#39;s both.[/color]</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ve been locked for just over a year now and I love them! It sounds so cliche to say it, but my only regret is not locking sooner. The initial costs usually give people sticker shock but if you add up how much you actually spend over the course of a year for weaves, perms, etc. it ends up being cheaper for most people to have SLs installed.

Like everyone else, I recommended that you research, research, and research some more before choosing a consultant. Also, I know that you said the consultant at the salon has SLs but I would ask to see pictures of clients who she has done the installation for (not just maintenance). The biggest thing that makes Sisterlocks, Sisterlocks is the precise parting. She probably had someone else install her locks so it&#39;s not safe to use that as the basis for choosing her.

Good luck!
    [/b]

Thank youso much for your response! I have my consultation on the 30th of this month and I&#39;m going to ask to see pictures. I know one I was there one day when she was retightening this guy&#39;s brotherlocks. Hopefully, everything will turn out for the best.

<span style="font-family:arial">Altogether it cost me $485 dollars. $435 for the actual installation and then $50 for the "great start package" which includes 2 washes and a retightening. The washes are spaced out every 2 weeks and then the retightening was set out at 6 weeks. I wash my hair on my own now, but that was just so she could make sure everything was holding up. I think that might be standard to get regardless of where you are at but I&#39;m not sure. Since she is a trainee, that might be considered cheap. She charged me for the 3-4 inches of new growth I had.

I know it seems expensive, which it is, but I was spending over $200 a month on my hair(the last time was $250 for a bad re.laxer and some jacked up weave <_<) so i figure this is a one time deal and I can eventually learn how to retighten myself, plus it will pay itself back in about 3 months. If that is too much, you may be able to have them start you out with micros in a grid like pattern and get very similar results. Just ask them if they could latch the new growth as they grow out and it might be a whole lot cheaper that way!</span>

[/b]

I&#39;m not too concerned with the cost, Like you, I was spending like 200 for weaves and braids, so I know that it will be cheaper in the long run.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love them and have even considered doing it myself. Someday maybe.........
    [url="http://www.mysisterlocks.com"]Come inside & look around at [b](MySisterlocks.Com)[/b][/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I :wub: :wub: :wub: Sisterlocks I think one day down the road when I&#39;m tired of loose hair I&#39;ll lock up.
    Old SN name Soontobenappy
    Transition period 10-6-07 to 6-20-08
    BC 6-20-08 100% Nappy and Loving it!!
    http://members.fotki.com/soontobenappy/ - Finally Updated 4-2013
    Check me on YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/NowIAmNappy?feature=mhum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast